WHAT IF ANOTHER GEO CACHER LOG OUT YOUR TRACKABLE & DON'T MOVE IT?

Manville Possum

Send them a Geocaching.com e-mail. Many people might of forgot to have dropped it or log it online.

Clcik on their profile and select "send message"

i don't know; if i have your coin and i don't see a reasonably secure and stable cache to drop it in, i keep it until i see one.

..unless you send me an uptight email in all caps, in which case i drop your coin into the next cache i find even if (especially if) the next cache i find is a leaky gladware out in the open in a busy cruising park.

Send them a Geocaching.com e-mail. Many people might of forgot to have dropped it or log it online.

Clcik on their profile and select "send message"

i don't know; if i have your coin and i don't see a reasonably secure and stable cache to drop it in, i keep it until i see one.

..unless you send me an uptight email in all caps, in which case i drop your coin into the next cache i find even if (especially if) the next cache i find is a leaky gladware out in the open in a busy cruising park.

Just a bit off topic, but when composing posts you can adjust the size of the font which would help those of us with eyes not as sharp as they once were, and avoid what's often considered "shouting" in internet communications. Use the dropdown labeled "size" just above the row of buttons B I U etc.

hairball

Sorry Jim, but I type real slow & can't see them little letters as well.

I did take the advice about the email (in lower case letters) & was nice

& tryed explaining my sitsuation about the geocoin to him. If that don't

work, I'll just change the mission. I may get a chance to buy it back on ebay

or at a pawn shop.

I doubt a coin thief will try to sell it on eBay (unless it's an especially stupid thief). That little tracking number positively identifies it as yours. If he just keeps it he can always claim that he simply forgot to drop it back off. If he tries to sell it then he's breaking the law.

It's possible this person just hasn't found a good spot to drop it off. Even if they're still finding and logging caches a coin won't fit in a film can.

It's possible the coin is temporarily lost. I had one in my possession that went missing for 6 months. I notified the owner when I realized it was missing and offered to pay for it (he declined). Then it was found behind a dresser during a furniture re-organization, and I re-released it into the wild.

Unfortunately, it's possible that your coin was found by a coin thief/collector. They don't sell them or show them, they just keep them in their personal collection. Maybe they play with them (picture Scrooge McDuck in the old cartoons playing in his money bin).

Good luck!

I'd still like to know which coin it is.

A quick check indicates that it's probably the "Cache Wars Geocoin"

It's one of only two coins owned by the OP that's in the possession of another cacher. The other one was picked up earlier this week, so my guess it's this one. Incidentally, it was picked up Nov. 8th from a cache that was archived the next day. A little over a month is not really a long time in traveling coin time.

A polite note asking the holder if they still have the coin and if they do, could they move it along would seem appropriate for this situation. I SUGGEST NOT PUTTING THE NOTE/REQUEST IN ALL CAPS!

Good luck getting your coin moving again.

Just a bit off topic, but when composing posts you can adjust the size of the font which would help those of us with eyes not as sharp as they once were, and avoid what's often considered "shouting" in internet communications. Use the dropdown labeled "size" just above the row of buttons B I U etc.

hairball

Also, most web browsers allow you to change the size of the fonts while you're viewing a page. That can be very handy!

We now return you to the thread in progress...

I found a TC last week, went to log it, but it was logged as Retrieved by someone else, but never logged as placed; I send a nice email asking them too, but no answer and no log; so I logged that O grabbed it from them and I placed it yesterday...and yes, I did log it as Placed! LOL

That was kind of you, sending them an email, but it wasn't required at all.

If a trackable is in your hand just go ahead and "Grab" it. The person who logged that they had the item gets that noted in their profile as soon as they log the fact that they have it so your log doesn't impact them at all and certainly it isn't a negative impact.

Your log reflects reality, you have the TB in your hand.

I often give a cacher a day or two to log a drop but I am not concerened if they don't, my log will actually save them a bit of work.

Edited by wavector

I found a TC last week, went to log it, but it was logged as Retrieved by someone else, but never logged as placed; I send a nice email asking them too, but no answer and no log; so I logged that O grabbed it from them and I placed it yesterday...and yes, I did log it as Placed! LOL

The one thing I would have done differently would be to drop it into the cache where you found it and then log it as picked up from there. It was last logged into a cache called Tan Can, but I don't see that you were ever at that cache, so I am guessing it was moved at least once between that cache and the one where you found it. So the TB has lost a few miles and a stop on it's map.

You don't say if you know when it was dropped off in the cache where you found it. If I can tell who had it, I usually give them at least a week to answer me in case they are traveling or just out of communication for some reason (ice storm has their power out, etc). Of course, you can sometimes tell they have dropped the TB off and just forgotten to log it by their other logs.

Edited by Neos2

Glad you got it back... Trackables sometimes take curious journeys. I have a coin that made one move, then disappeared for about 9 months. It reappeared once and then disappeared again for several more months. It's currently AWOL again. If you release a coin, expect it to eventually go missing.