Downloading caches t othe Garmin 60 CSx

CachinSpree

I am going to try and download the caches in my area to my new 60CSX before my wife wraps it up for Christmas. Is there more than just checking the boxes for the caches I want and then clicking "download to Garmin"? I have already downloaded the waypoints CD and connected my GPS to the computer. Does it need to be turned on or just leave it off? Thanks and Merry Christmas - CachinSpree

Since you're a premium member just run a pocket queryy for your area. It will send you up to the nearest 500 caches to you in a GPX file (or LOC, if you choose it, but GPX is better).

Then download an application like GSAK or EasyGPS to your PC. GSAK is powerful but somewhat complicated. EasyGPS is very basic and easy to use.

When you receive the GPX file, save it to your hard drive in a place where you can find it (I created a folder just for GPS related files).

Then connect your GPS to your PC, start EasyGPS (or GSAK) and open up that file with it. Then click on Send to GPS and they should be there.

Some points:

-Be sure to install the Garmin USB drivers to your PC

-Whether using EasyGPS or GSAK you will need to tell it what kind of unit you are using. There is a preferences field for this.

Better tutorial for a Pocket Query: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Be sure to check the box in EasyGPS or GSAK indicating it is a USB GPS model before doing a transfer.

By the way: things can change fast - new caches come along, old caches are closed down, new information is added for caches etc.. - might be a bit early to load reliable cache data at this point for post-chritmas use.

I am going to try and download the caches in my area to my new 60CSX before my wife wraps it up for Christmas. Is there more than just checking the boxes for the caches I want and then clicking "download to Garmin"? I have already downloaded the waypoints CD and connected my GPS to the computer. Does it need to be turned on or just leave it off? Thanks and Merry Christmas - CachinSpree

Since you have a Garmin, you also have the Waypoint Manager software that came with it. If you have it installed, and have updated it to the latest version, you can just use it to load a Pocket Query to your unit. Just open the GPX file in the Waypoint Manager program, and click the icon to send it to your GPS.