Joke caches, as in intended to be funny.

I was wondering about making caches that are jokes from cerebral to slapstick.

Have any of you found some that where intended to be humerus?

What are the good ones?

What are the flops?

Are you working on some yourself?

If your willing to share, then do so.

I'm planning on a practical joke for the park and grab micro lovers.

1 5 gallon plastic carboy with a handle.

As many 35mm canisters as I can fit inside.

All but one canister is going to be branded and glued shut with a scroll inside to prevent a proliferation of micros and slow down finding the true canister.

I'm going to list it as a micro because technically it is.

And of course I'll post heckling the cache is welcomed as long as there is no reveal.

I think I mentioned before trying to rig a cache with a pay as you go phone that will automatically dial me so I can personally say "This is not the true cache, keep looking." There will be a log book and trade items so if they fall for it, the jokes on them.

More to come.

I was wondering about making caches that are jokes from cerebral to slapstick.

Have any of you found some that where intended to be humerus?

What are the good ones?

What are the flops?

Are you working on some yourself?

If your willing to share, then do so.

All but one canister is going to be branded and glued shut with a scroll inside to prevent a proliferation of micros and slow down finding the true canister.

And of course I'll post heckling the cache is welcomed as long as there is no reveal.

I think I mentioned before trying to rig a cache with a pay as you go phone that will automatically dial me so I can personally say "This is not the true cache, keep looking." There will be a log book and trade items so if they fall for it, the jokes on them.

More to come.

This one here I.C.U

The name, the container, the cache placement.

I took my youngest son to find this one in the summer, it was before the bookmark was placed on there.

He said "Dad, those people...."

It was/is a very funny cache and suitable for all ages in the winter. :D

There was once a cache just like the one you're describing in my town: it was a gallon ice-cream bucket with about fifty 35mm canisters in it, only one of which had the log. I've also seen "fake" caches, labeled "this is not the cache", to try and mix up the monotony of the usual parking lot micro; there was a fake under a lamp post skirt with the real one under the nearby storm drain grate, and also a fake key hider in a guard rail covering for another key hider six inches deeper in the same nook. That last one got a surprising number of DNFs from people who would simply put the fake back and look for a different hiding spot instead of checking more carefully.

Edited by MountainRacer

This one is now archived, so I'm not giving anything away. It's exactly what you describe.

Count Micrula

Make sure you place it a mile in the woods and play up the micro in the woods thing on the listing. :D

Oh no no no, I'm going to place it in the middle of a micro run. Plenty of places it could be hidden within 20' of the road though I may go as far back as 50'.

I placed a joke cache once. I was poking fun at all the people that looked for and liked a nearby cache that was just 20 feet from an outhouse at a busy boat ramp. I wanted to see just how far people would go to get a smilie.

"This Place Rocks...NOT!" is a multi with the first waypoint an ammo can and the final a micro. The ammo can had packets of hand sanitizer, travel size rolls of toilet paper, travel packets of seat covers and full arm length clear plastic gloves. The final coordinates were written on the gloves.

The coordinates for the final led you to a nearby pre cast concrete out house in a gravel parking lot with large boulders and next to a gravel pit and concrete batch plant.

Inside the outhouse was a piece of fishing line dangling down into the "pit".

At the end of the fishing line was just a lead weight. The real cache was outside on the roof directly over where the seat was inside.

I did manage to get a few people to check out the inside and the string!!!

We have two in town mine is "Micro in the woods" plays up how everyone is so passionate about micros in the woods so I had to hide one. Its a cammo painted Micro ATX computer case. its funny how many people would not hunt for it at first just because of the name. turns out everyone likes my "micro" in the woods.

The other is hidden on my property by a friend called "A place of Reflection"

Edited by plumbrokeacres

Re large containers full of film cans, only one of which has a log: rather like lamp pole caches, this is may be fun the first time.

Thereafter, it's just tedious. Indeed, I've seen it many many times, and very shortly after the publication of the cache a couple of things have happened: 1) multiple film cans contain logs 2) most of the cans have no lids 3) many cans have disappeared.

The OPs example, where the cans have the lids glued will help with 2 of the 3 issues.

An example of this type where the cache owner went to the most effort, for the most disastrous (but predictable) result - cache owner festooned the lower branches of cedar trees with film cans, each had a wire poked through the bottom and hung like an ornament. There were hundreds in the grove. Cachers removed lids, looking for the one with the log - and left the lids off. Wasps discovered the perfect nesting places, and nested freely in many many of the opened containers. Cachers entered the grove, got stung left.....

I've personally found 3 caches like this. Hmm, I didn't think about the problems IK mentions in the post above. But you might want to consider an empty 5 gallon water bottle, such as you would find on top of a water cooler, so the film cans only come out one or two at a time. That makes it even funner.

We were recently in a park looking for some caches. One of them we found involved a decent hill climb. While we were up on the top of the hill, we saw a light affixed to a tree. I keep thinking I wanna go back to that park and put up an "LPC" type of cache... I'd probably even put LPC in the cache title... but it'd be a 3-4 terrain LPC as there's not really any way to get to it other than hiking up the hill.

I had an Aprils Fools cache that was listed as a 5/5 micro/nano cache.

In reality it was a construction orange 5 gallon container sitting in the middle of a dead end road. You could see it from 1/4 mile away. Everyone who found it played along and logged a DNF until the cache was muggled and archived at which point I sent out e-mails to the finders and they changed their logs to found.

......But you might want to consider an empty 5 gallon water bottle, such as you would find on top of a water cooler......

That would be a carboy :rolleyes: I gained the habit of calling them that instead of water cooler jug some where between gallons 60 and 90 brewed, i.e. after I started reading beer brewing manuals.

---------------------------

Dropping my daughter off this morning I saw a toilet on the side of the road, and I saw funny potential.

Fake outhouse rigged to spray some fart spray.

Plug toilet and fill basin with water.

Float water proof cache inside a fake turd.

Name it "Proof is in the pooding."

I've placed a few meant to be humorous.

We had a bunch of local cachers place puzzle caches one after the other. Each attempting to be less solvable than the last. My response was to place this cache with the intention of it being "so easy a cave man could do it". When it proved to be a bit more of a challenge than intended I place this locked puzzle cache. Not meant to be knee slappers, more to poke a bit of fun at the rash of puzzles.

This one is not meant as a commentary, although some seem to think so.

I have another but don't want to spoil the fun.

Here's a few >>

Faceless Multi-national Utility Company - This one starts with a sticker that looks like the familiar Bell logo but has a phone number & PIN on it. You call and get a phone menu that eventually gives you the coords to the second stage, which is similar to the first. The final is an locked ammo can that has the key hidden nearby. If you'd like to play at home here are the phone numbers:

(800) 289-5570 then PIN: 9996074161

second: (800) 289-5570 then PIN: 9996071494

Separated from the Herd - this one starts with one of those straw-like reindeer that I got from Goodwill last Christmas. You have to play amateur proctologist to get the coords to the final.

Farmer's Dilemma - Thanks to KBI for the idea for this one. The cache is a locked ammo can, but the code word is not the solution to the puzzle on the cache page. I have a laminated tag on the can that asks you the name of the farmer.

20 Questions - this is another IVR (phone menu) cache. Feel free to play with this one at home.

Musical Fruit 2 - this one is an ammo can with three cans of Ranch Style Beans in it. One of the cans is fake and contains the log book.

How to Kill a Vampire - when you get to GZ there are several wooden stakes in the ground around a tree. One of the stakes is fake.

I've placed a few meant to be humorous.

We had a bunch of local cachers place puzzle caches one after the other. Each attempting to be less solvable than the last. My response was to place this cache with the intention of it being "so easy a cave man could do it". When it proved to be a bit more of a challenge than intended I place this locked puzzle cache. Not meant to be knee slappers, more to poke a bit of fun at the rash of puzzles.

This one is not meant as a commentary, although some seem to think so.

I have another but don't want to spoil the fun.

Thanks for the smile brought on by AKA (CENSORED).

Wouldn't it be better served as a multi so that people would be more likely to read?

All but one container will be glued shut? Wouldn't that make it easier because as soon as they try to open it and see that it's glued, they'll know it doesn't have the logbook in it?

You could put some note paper into all the containers so people have to unroll something. If the note is written on a 1" x 11" piece of paper, it'll be harder to tell if it's a real log or not until they've unrolled it and see something written on it like, "You're very close. Keep looking..." You could make all the notes say something different.

You could make the logbook the same size, but maybe a couple sheets. If the container is one of the white opaque film cans, they'll see the paper, but it will be hard to tell if it's a log or a note sheet.

The ones that we've done along these lines have varied from a 50 cal ammo can to big containers. One of the coolest was a long 4" PVC pipe with a narrower opening at the end.

I fould a cache where the owner hung 200 film cannisters in a cluster of pine trees. Only one had the log book and you were asked to move it to another film cannister for the next person.

The only bad part about the cache is he published it as a traditional when in fact it was a multi with the stages 2 km apart.

Otherwise a devilish idea.

I fould a cache where the owner hung 200 film cannisters in a cluster of pine trees. Only one had the log book and you were asked to move it to another film cannister for the next person.

The only bad part about the cache is he published it as a traditional when in fact it was a multi with the stages 2 km apart.

Otherwise a devilish idea.

That sounds more like a beating than fun to me. :rolleyes:

I've often thought of placing a 4-star difficulty level hide at an easily accessible location near an interstate off-ramp. Then providing clear and detailed instructions for locating and retrieving the cache, but bury those instructions in the description (not hidden or encoded, but you have to actually read the description to find them).

Then list it as a 1/1 or 1/1.5 Traditional with a name like "Park & Grab #2,432". It would be a P&G for people who read the description, but would be nearly impossible for those who dump the coords and run.

Re large containers full of film cans, only one of which has a log: rather like lamp pole caches, this is may be fun the first time. Thereafter, it's just tedious.

I'm in complete agreement with you on that account!

The payback moment, though, is when a cacher posts a Needs Maintenance note, claiming that the one with the log is missing, and the cache owner gets to have the fun of verifying that claim!

I have been inspired by reading this topic. Being relatively new to geocaching researching and creating clever hides is a goal of mine. Adding humor to the hunt is a very desirable element. :D

My first and only hide thus far is based on some tongue-in-cheek plays on words. I think it is innocent enough that small children will not get the joke while those older obviously will. It is Scott's Big Balls.

The views from the area of this cache are great too.

At Spring Fling this year, my cache has the coords lead you to a neat stack of about 80 ammo cans, with the actual cache duct taped to the inside of the lid of one of the ammo cans.

Most people opened more than half of them before finding the cache. Many dismantled the pile, shaking each can (no result) before they realized they had to actually OPEN the cans.

All but one container will be glued shut? Wouldn't that make it easier because as soon as they try to open it and see that it's glued, they'll know it doesn't have the logbook in it?

It prevents somebody from going I'll show him, swiping all the canisters and suddenly getting hundreds of micros in the area.

It also stops people from claiming it is large, the 35's are swag and slowly getting hundreds of micros in the area.

Re large containers full of film cans, only one of which has a log: rather like lamp pole caches, this is may be fun the first time. Thereafter, it's just tedious.

I'm in complete agreement with you on that account!

The payback moment, though, is when a cacher posts a Needs Maintenance note, claiming that the one with the log is missing, and the cache owner gets to have the fun of verifying that claim!

I have a solution that I'll not post.

It prevents somebody from going I'll show him, swiping all the canisters and suddenly getting hundreds of micros in the area.

It also stops people from claiming it is large, the 35's are swag and slowly getting hundreds of micros in the area.

That sounds like it'll do exactly what you want. :D Keep us posted on how it goes.

I know some cachers can be lazy and would just leave the containers open if they didn't contain a logbook.

I put a micro in a hollow log. The film can was inside of a huge, rather real looking rubber spider. I cut a slit in its butt and inserted the film can there. Placed in the log under a handful of leaves it got a couple of hearts beating before the victims realized what they had. Sadly two of them wandered off, the first to a critter from the look of the left behind film can. The second I suspect a two legged critter - the can was unchewed, open, and the log nearby. No spider though. I archived it, the location obviously being compromised.

hairball

oh yeah, I did a couple of the 200 film cans in a jug dealies. First one, I couldn't stop laughing. The second only had about 25 cans so it wasn't a big deal, just not as funny.

That sounds like it'll do exactly what you want. :D Keep us posted on how it goes.

I know some cachers can be lazy and would just leave the containers open if they didn't contain a logbook.

Here is a posting:

I cant get the containers fast enough. Most places claim to recycle film canisters and so far I've only been able to turn up 17 between 2 places. If I cant get my jug at least 75% full by the end of May then I will put a half size shopping bag and plastic glove in each and make a CITO cache.

Wile digi cams help the environment, they hurt arts & crafts AND other leisure activities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was talking to my wife about my idea for a toilet and she said "I'm surprised you aren't planning something about ____ euphemisms"

Suddenly I had visions of a multi with each stage having a name and an appropriately decorated container.

Like a container covered in craft gems, a container covered in brass bearings, I even have a cloth peanut bag.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I found one like that in the denver north metro area. It was called "Seeing Red"

It was a giant container with a hole just barely big enough to fit 1 film can through at a time with about a hundred of them in there - all painted red. Took 2 minutes to find, 20 minutes to get the coorrect micro and then another 5-10 to get all the little things back in to the big container.

The cache description was right, I was definitely seeing red :D I have to say it was quite nice though. A cache that wasn't frustrating to find but also made me sit and enjoy it for a little bit. It also provided time for some other cachers to come by and meet.

Edited by scavok
I cant get the containers fast enough. Most places claim to recycle film canisters and so far I've only been able to turn up 17 between 2 places.

I know someone who works at a drug store, and she says they get a ton of film cans and wonders who all the people are that are still using film. It's funny how things vary from area to area.

There is a 45-stage micro multi-cache around here. I'm told that several of the stages are rather humorous, but I haven't tried it myself yet. A number of cachers save it for a milestone find.

For April Fools Day, one of our local reviewers published a mystery cache called [ReviewerName]'s Test Cache. It had an old GCxxxx number, and had random "hello world" style content, so it looked like he might have just accidentally published a cache listing that he used for testing. But it was actually a puzzle cache.

There's another one named something like "Guaranteed FTF", where the cache description includes a copy of the content that normally appears after the cache description, including fake log entries. The first fake log entry is a "Published" note from the reviewer. The second is an over-the-top DNF from one of the local cachers known for posting interesting DNF logs. If you keep scrolling, you eventually see the rest of the page, including the real log entries.

There are also several around here that are rather humorous once you find them, but explaining the joke here would be a spoiler. Sorry...

Snake in a can - under lamp skirt.

There is one I found awhile back that was an ammo can with another can inside that was labeled "Special Prize: Please take only one". Opening the can caused a "spring" snake to pop out.

I've got one for which the title is the punch line to a local joke.

There are a couple of other caches nearby that are intended to salve the woes of having a lot of DNFs. One is a puzzle cache where one has to answer some funny and really easy questions to get the actual coordinates, which end up being one least significant digit different from the published coordinates. The other is a traditional cache that is a large culvert pipe (about 20' long, 6' in diameter) sitting on the side of a seasonal road. The pipe actually *is* the container as the log is just a magnetic sheet stuck to the inside of the pipe. There is also lots of swag (mostly fridge magnets) next to the log.

I suppose when you have seen a lot of caches, you have seen a lot of caches that are intended to be funny too, and many succeed.

I've seen several variations of the needle in the haystack described in the OP.

I've got the snake in a can cache that nittany dave refers to on my watchlist.

I've seen and used various critters as part of the cammo for the container.

I've seen several caches that have punny titles and some that use anguish language to provide the true coords.

I own one called This Cache Sucks that seems to entertain the finders.

Yup, we geocachers are a funny bunch. :D

I think there should be a distinction between two basic types of joke/funny caches from what I've been reading here.

There is "the joke is on you" type of cache, the joke being on the one seeking the cache. Most of the amusement is for the cache owner knowing that someone has had to, one at a time, empty out of a larger container filled with film canisters to find the log, or find and open 50 to 100 small containers all of which are glued shut or were empty except for one, in order to finish the cache.

The old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, but never fool me thrice" comes to mind. This type of joke or funny cache has its element of humor up to a thin point for the one trying to find the log but it is also very heavy with frustration and annoyance.

I don't recall many humorous people making me laugh, or even chuckle quietly by making me frustrated or annoyed.

The second basic type of joke/funny cache would be one void of the elements of frustration and annoyance. They would be amusing to the one trying to find, trying to discovering the cache. The joke would not be on them. Rather they would gain a smile, even a chuckle because of the way something has been hidden, the container, the description, name of the cache or location, a play on words, a pun… for some other reason than being the brunt end of the cache owner's joke.

The first type of joke cache boarders on being mean, even malicious. :D

The second type of funny cache is the kind of approach that I call; true humor. :D

I love cache names that give you a laugh when you figure out why it is so named.

I had just started geocaching and while driving I noticed a cache at the next exit called "This Cache Sux"

I almost skipped it... I couldn't comprehend why anyone would place a cache that sucked on purpose.

But I was curious, so I got off the exit and at the bottom of the ramp I burst out laughing when I saw the GPS arrow pointing at a bank of vacuum cleaners at a car wash!

I guess it sounds silly in hindsight, but at the time it was really funny!

It was never meant to be a "joke" cache, but it was meant to be humourous, and judging by the logs, I think it has achieved its goal.

Dopey is a 2 1/2 ft tall hollow garden gnome, filled with film canisters. Each canister has a note inside, and the one with the log doesnt have a pen, so when shaken, all the canisters sound the same. If I remember correctly, there is about 60 canisters inside.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...88-1990abf9128c

Cheers

Bundy

"The Incredible Shrinking Cache" (GCYFZB)

The cache was a cammoed fatboy ammo can in the woods. Inside was a Quaker Oats container, which held a cylindrical candy tin, which held a large vitamin bottle, which held a pill bottle, which held a bison tube, which held a plastic capsule, which held the log.

Didn't last long, though. There was a small homeless shelter nearby that I didn't notice when I hid it.

I think there should be a distinction between two basic types of joke/funny caches from what I've been reading here.

There is "the joke is on you" type of cache, the joke being on the one seeking the cache. Most of the amusement is for the cache owner knowing that someone has had to, one at a time, empty out of a larger container filled with film canisters to find the log, or find and open 50 to 100 small containers all of which are glued shut or were empty except for one, in order to finish the cache.

The old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, but never fool me thrice" comes to mind. This type of joke or funny cache has its element of humor up to a thin point for the one trying to find the log but it is also very heavy with frustration and annoyance.

I don't recall many humorous people making me laugh, or even chuckle quietly by making me frustrated or annoyed.

The second basic type of joke/funny cache would be one void of the elements of frustration and annoyance. They would be amusing to the one trying to find, trying to discovering the cache. The joke would not be on them. Rather they would gain a smile, even a chuckle because of the way something has been hidden, the container, the description, name of the cache or location, a play on words, a pun… for some other reason than being the brunt end of the cache owner's joke.

The first type of joke cache boarders on being mean, even malicious. :D

The second type of funny cache is the kind of approach that I call; true humor. :D

I worked at Camp Thaumaturge, those kids where spectacular. There where a few that took a magicians typical sneakiness to the extreme. They where constantly trying to prank me and they constantly fell flat, you know like a long string of micros where every one is under a skirt. I even told the head that he needed to ban fake blood because one of them might really cut a fingers off and the rest of us might go "yeah yeah yeah, clean up your mess when your done. Anyway, I developed a routine, every night after working with this brilliant kid (he never spoke a word wile performing) on minor pyrotechnics, I would grab my toiletries, head for the showers, afterward I would head back to my quarters crossing an old flag pad.

One night, I get out of the shower and I'm about to step on the pad but I froze and my bowels relaxed, as I watched this huge whiteblue fire ball rise into the sky only 10' in front of me. Unfortunately I exhibited the wrong reaction and started laughing my a** off, but it was freaking hilarious, I probably would have crapped myself if there hadn't been a toilet in the shower house.

I learned a practical joke is a joke if executed properly.

So if a needle in a haystack get dropped in the right spot, then more than the CO will get a chuckle out of it.

If a NIAH got placed in the woods after a 5 mile hike, then you're talking malicious.

A good situational example would be the classic bucket of water/door joke.

Funny:

A good natured guy wakes up hung over from his bachelor party hung over. He opens his bedroom door and get drenched in ice water.

Not Funny:

Same guy on wedding day heads out the front door with his tux on and gets drenched.

You also have the human factor. I'll never understand how any one over the age of 16 found Andrew Dice Clay amusing, yet the man made money as a comedian. One mans trash...

...is an others cache container :D

I just did one today. Actually stumbled across it. We were caching in the same park where this supposed 10 stage evil micro was hidden. I had read the cache page before and was holding off on this one until I could get the required gear together. The list included things like a 50' tape measure, an english to german dictionary, a local yellow pages and of all things a bathroom scale. You getting the picture now?!!?

We were walking to one of the caches we were hunting when I noticed the first stage of this multi was only 300' away. We diverted over to it just to grab a peak at the first stage to get an idea what we would be up against when we returned to tackle it. After looking around for a few minutes for a micro I stumbled across a monster ammo can! Inside we found a large log book and a bunch of swag. Some of the logs were pretty funny to read. "I can't believe I dragged all of this #$%& out into the woods for this!"

The on-line logs are good to. Everybody who has found this one whether fooled or not has really played it up. Mine for example I made a comment as how I was wondering what the scale was for and how clever now that I know.

I've got a few that I own:

GC1HMFJ My Wifes Nice Pair. Family friendly. Funny how some people log it.

GC1GD9N Evil Unkle Fester. It shows a picture of a field of rocks and says it's behind one but visable in the picture. Not giving this one away. I love to read the DNF's

GC1GE3Y The Regular Cache. Container is a Metamucil container with a promo DVD on the lid. Left the DVD as a FTF prize, it's still there.

Many odd containers, most are meant to have funny undertones, just look through my profile

You have to laugh at life, because you can't write comedy this good.