Remove Account Due to Death

USA 45

Sorry to hear that. I lost my wife when she was 34. That was almost 3 years ago. My current wife (lol, that sounds funny to say) had lost her husband 7 years ago. We know how hard it is. Good luck to you and you will survive. It takes awhile to get to the point where you even feel like you want to, but you will. Take Care, Scott

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK

I'm not sure the best thing to do would be to have the account "removed". Any caches your late husband found or hid are now part of the fabric of this game. Removing that would leave a hole in the history. Disabling the account so someone can't modify or abuse the account would not be a bad idea.

I'm not sure the best thing to do would be to have the account "removed". Any caches your late husband found or hid are now part of the fabric of this game. Removing that would leave a hole in the history. Disabling the account so someone can't modify or abuse the account would not be a bad idea.

Agreed.

Sorry for your loss Mrs. USA 45. :rolleyes:

I think your husband's contribution should not just be erased. Further, I don't think he would want that.

Looking at his profile, he still has travel bugs and coins out in the world keeping his memory alive.

The positive caches he hid in rememberance of fallen soldiers are a great contribution that he should continue to get credit for. Maybe your local geocaching organization can take the adoption process off your shoulders and then Groundspeak can disable his account. That would be far better than erasing his positive impact here.

Like others, Sorry for you rloss.

I think that removing his account, which can't be done, would do a real disservice to your husbands memory. Everyone in the community knows him, or of him, and that should not be taken away.

Personally I knew 5 cachers who are no longer with us, and I think of them every time I notice their name in a logbook, or online.

You say you removed his coins, I'd suggest you adopt them out to his best friends. Same should go for his caches. But I'd suggest that the adoptees say something in the cache owners name position to the effect of the original owner.

Why in the hell can't we honor the wishes of the spouse of the deceased??

Sorry, but, in this day and age, not a single thing, that any one of us do, on the internet or someome elses computer or server, in any manner, is something that we can wish away.

There will always be a history of all things he ever got his hands into somewhere. At least with someones private stash of questionable stuff that is under the control of some physical person somewhere, it can be swept under the rug, or aired out with the dirty laundry, depending.

What is it that makes you all think you know better than she does how to handle this situation. He died sometime last month so she's had some time to think about this. Let's let him go in peace, and if she wants the account deleted, ten let her have her wish!!!

Deleting an account will delete all of the caches and all finds on all of the caches. When you actually get some finds, you will see how important that is. The site is a database, and you just can't delete accounts and/or caches. There is a history to be preserved for those still active on the site.

vwaldoguy gave the best advice in the second post. She needs to contact the site. I am sorry for your loss. The site can disable the account with no problem.

Edited by mtn-man

What is it that makes you all think you know better than she does how to handle this situation. He died sometime last month so she's had some time to think about this. Let's let him go in peace, and if she wants the account deleted, ten let her have her wish!!!

You also have to realize that 95%(ish) of the time that people ask for an account to be 'deleted', that isn't what they want. They want memberships cancelled or they want to stop getting emails or they want the account disabled or some combination of the three. They really don't understand what actually deleting an account would mean, as you apparently didn't when you made your post.

I do not usually post information like this but in this case I think it needs to be said:

CachinTheNightAway was found to be a sock puppet account, looking to cause trouble and hiding behind what they thought was anonymity. Both the sock puppet and the original accounts have been banned per our Forum Guidelines.

:rolleyes: Does anyone know how I would remove my husbands account due to his death in Nov. I have removed all his coins from the account. Thanks USA 45

I'm very sorry for your loss. As was previously suggested, please do send an email to contact@geocaching.com detailing what you'd like done with the account and we will go from there.

My deepest condolences on your loss. I'm sure he will be missed in the community.

Disabling the account will stop any emails for him from coming to you any longer, and you will still be able to look back at the history, and photographs taken along the way.

Edited by Eartha

Thank you all so much for the input. I don't want to rock the boat, I can leave his account there , I just thought that Groundspeak would want the space. I have adopted his coins. My last event was in his honor. He will be missed and even though he could not do to many hard caches being disabled ,he did love the sport and was always behind any thing I did with geocaching . Thanks again, and Miss Jenn thank you. Arline aka USA 45

You also have to realize that 95%(ish) of the time that people ask for an account to be 'deleted', that isn't what they want. They want memberships cancelled or they want to stop getting emails or they want the account disabled or some combination of the three. They really don't understand what actually deleting an account would mean, as you apparently didn't when you made your post.

Agreed. She likely does not want his account deleted, but perhaps rendered inactive.

Agreed. She likely does not want his account deleted, but perhaps rendered inactive.

Well then, just don't share his password with anyome, and don't use his account. Then it will be about as inactive as it can get.

But if he was a Premium Member with a subscription she should have his PayPal account or Credit Card know of his 'status'.

:D Does anyone know how I would remove my husbands account due to his death in Nov. I have removed all his coins from the account. Thanks USA 45

In my opinion the thing to do is to offer any caches up for adoption. Any that are not adopted, archive them and pull the caches. You can work with the local geocaching community to get this done.

The account itself, and the caches tell a story and create a legacy. Deleting the account or the caches removes the history and the legacy and impacts a lot of other people.

If you don't really want to handle the details, or are not a cacher to understand the details I have no doubt whatsoever that you can find someone to take care of it for you. The email address is the right contact, and if they are not able to handle the details they are in a good poistion to find someone they can work with who can.

Thank you all so much for the input. I don't want to rock the boat, I can leave his account there , I just thought that Groundspeak would want the space. I have adopted his coins. My last event was in his honor. He will be missed and even though he could not do to many hard caches being disabled ,he did love the sport and was always behind any thing I did with geocaching . Thanks again, and Miss Jenn thank you. Arline aka USA 45

Thank you for following up. Though you have just lost your husband, and I truly am sorry to hear of your loss, Your post just now made me smile. Your husband is exactly the thing I like most about caching in other people.

In my opinion the thing to do is to offer any caches up for adoption.

I disagree, especially if it were my caches and my account. Doing so removes those caches from that account's profile page. That's not necessarily the best legacy to leave in my opinion. We play a game with a heavy digital component. I would want those caches digitally attached to my username.

I disagree, especially if it were my caches and my account. Doing so removes those caches from that account's profile page. That's not necessarily the best legacy to leave in my opinion. We play a game with a heavy digital component. I would want those caches digitally attached to my username.

In my post #4 I suggest something to that effect.

Look at any of the adopted out caches previously owned by any of the dead cachers I used to know (well one has a caching spouse so that doesn't apply there).

If there is noone to maintain them, then they will slowly disappear unless the community as a whole adopts them, but having a real person with a vested interest is much better I think.

In my opinion the thing to do is to offer any caches up for adoption.

I think we can agree the real answer comes from the wishes of the husband. Everyone will vary somewhat. Adoption keeps the caches active in the world and brings a smile to the faces of the finders. That's one kind of legacy. The other is as you note. Capture the logs, caches and such attached to the account like a snapshot in time. That both of us have different thoughts as we look ahead to our own time makes it clear that wishes will vary, and should be the guiding principal.

Though I have enough friends and family active in caching to cover me, were you to be my geocaching executor I think you would do very well.

Well then, just don't share his password with anyome, and don't use his account. Then it will be about as inactive as it can get.
You are wrong.

Exactly how are they wrong?

And I am not a sock puppet account - so I will ask the same question as the person who did (although in a way which doesn't include any profanity) - If they want the account deleted, why would you not honor their wishes? I know the OP has changed their request to wanting it disabled, rather than deleted, but the question still remains.

This site has consistenly stated that they wish to maintain the fabric of the history of the game (at least their version of it), but they are forever deciding this cache type isn't right, that one needs to be changed, this guideline needs to be more strict, that wording in the description isn't allowed anymore, etc. Seems like they just want to pick and choose what they can preserve, even if it is against the wishes of the people who chose to use their website, and change whatever they, or their lawyers, feel should be changed.

Honestly, I can't think of any rules which have been changed at the request of the people who make up this website's database. I know of one which was changed because of the reviewers. I know of several which were changed because the owner of the website decided he didn't feel they should be part of the game anymore. And I know of a number of guidelines that were added for some reason or other, and all appear to be financially or legally motivated, rather than for the purpose of bettering the game.

If a person requested the deletion of their own account, it should be honored. The same request, from a legal representative, such as a surviving spouse or someone who has a legal power of attorney to speak for that person, should be honored as well. I don't think the wishes of the website should ever be held above these requests, should they be legitimate.

Trainlove was factually wrong in his quoted statement. If one follows the link given early on in the thread, there is a level of inactivating an account that goes beyond what Trainlove described. MissJenn felt it important to correct Trainlove's misstatement, given the seriousness of the issue we're trying to help with in this thread.

That's all. If you want to make more of it, do it elsewhere. In this thread, we're helping someone deal with one of the details of a tremendous loss. Thanks.

Although the rest of the post seemed to get ignored, could you please clarify what that other inactivity option is? It seems like that should have been made in the first post, and possibly in yours, rather than just stating "You are wrong", and then "There is another option".

What is that option?

The correct answer was provided in the very first reply to this thread. I am repeating it for those who may have missed it -- be sure to follow the link. Thank you, vwaldoguy, for your helpful post.

Please accept my condolences on your husband's loss and may God be with you during the holidays. I don't think you can delete an account, but Groundspeak can disable the account per request.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...kbarticleid=253

Best of luck,

Van

The correct answer was provided in the very first reply to this thread. I am repeating it for those who may have missed it -- be sure to follow the link. Thank you, vwaldoguy, for your helpful post.

Please accept my condolences on your husband's loss and may God be with you during the holidays. I don't think you can delete an account, but Groundspeak can disable the account per request.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...kbarticleid=253

Best of luck,

Van

Thank you for a clear answer to a simple question. Please answer one more: Will they actually delete an account if that is what is requested?

My experience with databases is that it is not a simple thing to just delete the account. There are other good, valid reasons for not deleting.

It seems that the op is satisfied with the offered solution.

Due to the sensitive nature of this particular request, I would suggest this thread be locked and some of the other issues that are being brought up be addressed in a separate thread.