Where should NNJC host a CITO in Northern New Jersey?

weathernowcast

Some ideas:

Ringwood State Park

Garret Mt.

Wawayanda State Park

Tourne County Park

I also know of a piece of land in Mahwah owned by the Passaic River Coalition that they want cleaned up.

I still have to go there to see what is involved, whether it's a job for a CITO type event or a larger undertaking.

There's all kinds of junk on Federal Hill, but the problem is getting in and out easily. If we really wanted to Eagle Scout it up, we could see about getting a footbridge in the park upstream from the railroad bridge.

I also know of a piece of land in Mahwah owned by the Passaic River Coalition that they want cleaned up.

I still have to go there to see what is involved, whether it's a job for a CITO type event or a larger undertaking.

Whereabouts? Most of the land between 202 and the river is privately owned, but there are open pieces here and there that I know of.

One good place would be the Meadowlands - Mill Creek Marsh or DeKorte Park.

Definitely areas that need it, but I think we should concentrate on large park systems where geocaching is a major presence. Either the state park system or county park systems. Doing it in these places is a way of saying thanks and would also give us more "bang" as far as building good relationships.

There's all kinds of junk on Federal Hill, but the problem is getting in and out easily. If we really wanted to Eagle Scout it up, we could see about getting a footbridge in the park upstream from the railroad bridge.

Again an area that needs it, but the above applies.

Whereabouts? Most of the land between 202 and the river is privately owned, but there are open pieces here and there that I know

I'm told it's at the confluence of the Ramapo and Mahwah Rivers. Haven't been there yet.

I think we should concentrate on large park systems where geocaching is a major presence. Either the state park system or county park systems. Doing it in these places is a way of saying thanks and would also give us more "bang" as far as building good relationships.

That makes a lot of sense. The more 'visible' we are in terms of the number of visitors of the park we choose, the better it will be for us. I wouldn't rule out De Korte yet, though; that's the front yard of the brand new Meadowlands Education Center, and having the state Meadowlands Commission on our side could be a nice asset.

I'm told it's at the confluence of the Ramapo and Mahwah Rivers. Haven't been there yet.

Sounds like it's either near a park sort of tucked away behind that more developed "main street" part of Mahwah, which used to have a Team Bam Bam cache in it, or else across the river behind the Sharp complex. I can see ballfields on both sides, but I doubt that area sees the kind of visitor volume you'd like for a big CITO. Might be a nice place for a cache or two, though, depending on what sort of condition it's in.

Edited by MountainRacer

Definitely areas that need it, but I think we should concentrate on large park systems where geocaching is a major presence. Either the state park system or county park systems. Doing it in these places is a way of saying thanks and would also give us more "bang" as far as building good relationships.

Why not have multiple CITO events? Would be good to make new friends in multiple parts of the state. Also, Mill Creek Marsh and DeKorte Park could be good candidates for the colder weather days as long as there is no snow on the ground. The area is fairly flat and there is even a Parks Commission headquarters where we can maybe have lunch afterwards... in a nice warm building :rolleyes:

In answer to the where, I would say the following:

Friendship Park

Garret Mtn.

Goffle Brook

Rifle Camp

Ringwood State Park

Norvin Green

Split Rock up on the side of the lake.

But it is not for me so to say (Nat King Cole) it is for the Host and Sponsor of the Event to make the selection and to pick the date and to do the posting and recruiting. Design the area and set out the objectives. Now the question becomes one of who that person will be and when. Who would you pick for the job, knowing that Weathernowcast hosted the last event before Snow, he gets a pass.

There are a lot of great County and State parks, I agree with BrianSnat that NNJC and its members should hold a CITO event at a park where we can work with the Parks directors to build relationships and give something back. Please send in your suggestions to NNJC.org, and or post here. We at NNJC would like to host monthly events and hikes, and have been discussing locations, so send us your suggestions and if you would like to volunteer. Thanks, Old Navy- President - Northern New Jersey Cachers (NNJC.ORG)

Why not have multiple CITO events? Would be good to make new friends in multiple parts of the state. Also, Mill Creek Marsh and DeKorte Park could be good candidates for the colder weather days as long as there is no snow on the ground. The area is fairly flat and there is even a Parks Commission headquarters where we can maybe have lunch afterwards... in a nice warm building :D

Hey since when is there no major geocaching presence in the Meadowlands. :rolleyes: I take offense to that.

Mill Creek definitely needs some CITO, more so than DeKorte. I was thinking about hosting a CITO there actually, but it got cold.

Why not have multiple CITO events? Would be good to make new friends in multiple parts of the state. Also, Mill Creek Marsh and DeKorte Park could be good candidates for the colder weather days as long as there is no snow on the ground. The area is fairly flat and there is even a Parks Commission headquarters where we can maybe have lunch afterwards... in a nice warm building :D

Hey since when is there no major geocaching presence in the Meadowlands. :rolleyes: I take offense to that.

Mill Creek definitely needs some CITO, more so than DeKorte. I was thinking about hosting a CITO there actually, but it got cold.

Host it and they will come!

Host it and they will come!

In the spring :D

But... If you remove the mountains of garbage from DeKorte, there won't be anything left! :D (It's a great park! We love it.)

As someone who maintained a trail for a number of years, I can assure you that there is qute a bit of garbage just off any trail. (Moslty beer cans.) I attended a CITO Event in Stroud, Pa earlier this year. We all looked around and proclaimed: "This should be easy!" Several hours, and several large piles of garbage later, we were all astounded at what we had found.

Any park would benefit. I would just be a matter of arranging with the park officials, setting it up, and carting off the garbage. And, no. I am not volunteering!

I would just be a matter of arranging with the park officials, setting it up, and carting off the garbage.

That might be the hardest part. Parks, especially the state parks don't have a lot of funding for that kind of stuff. Somebody did a big clean-up along Burnt Meadow Road a couple of years ago. The trash is still piled neatly beside the road and just attracts more dumping.

Oh, just thought of another target rich environment. The east shore of Split Rock Reservoir.

Edited by briansnat
I would just be a matter of arranging with the park officials, setting it up, and carting off the garbage.

That might be the hardest part. Parks, especially the state parks don't have a lot of funding for that kind of stuff. Somebody did a big clean-up along Burnt Meadow Road a couple of years ago. The trash is still piled neatly beside the road and just attracts more dumping.

Oh, just thought of another target rich environment. The east shore of Split Rock Reservoir.

This would be easy at Garret Mountain. It was easy for the 2007 CITO because we left it was at a location where trash is picked up. The best, but most difficult, would be if we arranged for the land manager, where available, to facilitate the pickup of trash or to have the CITO where a regular pickup occurs. If the trash is not removed what would be the point?

Edited by weathernowcast

I don't have any specific suggestions about where to CITO, but will be happy to show up and actually do some CITO'ing.

They say that a cachers "Karma" rating is the ratio of caches placed to caches found (in my case = 31/1,060 = 0.029). Is there a similarily termed ratio for number of CITO participations to the number of caches found (in my case 0/1,060 = 0.000) ? ? ?

I don't have any specific suggestions about where to CITO, but will be happy to show up and actually do some CITO'ing.

They say that a cachers "Karma" rating is the ratio of caches placed to caches found (in my case = 31/1,060 = 0.029). Is there a similarily termed ratio for number of CITO participations to the number of caches found (in my case 0/1,060 = 0.000) ? ? ?

good point to reflect on

Found a spot yesterday in what I believe is Long Pond Ironworks SP (or possibly Norvin Green SF) that is in dire need of a CITO.

What are the coordinates / trails in question? Any idea who we should contact? If its cleanable in the cold lets setup a date :laughing:

Well a new cache should pop up close by in the next day or so. I know the ranger responsible so I'll shoot him an e-mail.

Karma is the ratio of find on your caches to caches found. 1488 finds on your caches/1067 finds = 1.40. One of the highest cache karmas I've seen!

Found a spot yesterday in what I believe is Long Pond Ironworks SP (or possibly Norvin Green SF) that is in dire need of a CITO.

What are the coordinates / trails in question? Any idea who we should contact? If its cleanable in the cold lets setup a date <_<

Well a new cache should pop up close by in the next day or so. I know the ranger responsible so I'll shoot him an e-mail.

Coords are N 41° 06.976 W 074° 19.404 . Actually very close to there

weathernowcast....what about having a vote on the location at the next meet n greet at fudd's?

If we have a vote, we still need to be able to have a location we can get the trash out.

Locations that have been mentioned above.

Garret Mt. (x4)

Ringwood State Park (x2)

Split Rock (x2) up on the side of the lake/east side of lake

Friendship Park

Rifle Camp

Norvin Green

Wawayanda State Park

Tourne County Park

Meadowlands - DeKorte Park.

Meadowlands - Mill Creek Marsh

piece of land in Mahwah owned by the Passaic River Coalition (confluence Ramapo and Mahwah River)

Federal Hill

Long Pond Ironworks SP

south mtn reservation.

weathernowcast....what about having a vote on the location at the next meet n greet at fudd's?

If we have a vote, we still need to be able to have a location we can get the trash out.

Locations that have been mentioned above.

Garret Mt. (x4)

Ringwood State Park (x2)

Split Rock (x2) up on the side of the lake/east side of lake

Friendship Park

Rifle Camp

Norvin Green

Wawayanda State Park

Tourne County Park

Meadowlands - DeKorte Park.

Meadowlands - Mill Creek Marsh

piece of land in Mahwah owned by the Passaic River Coalition (confluence Ramapo and Mahwah River)

Federal Hill

Long Pond Ironworks SP

south mtn reservation.

Would we be able to bring it to the local municipality public works? Perhaps someone with a pickup truck? Not sure if this would be possible... we could always segment the bags into smaller ones and stuff them at our local convenience store :unsure: Seriously, would a pickup truck and public works yard be an option?