New Fad: Moving Baby Jesus Geocaches Equipped w/GPS Beacons

No, this is not a joke! This linked news article explains that many churches, organizations and families that put out Christmas displays have, in recent years, started to embed GPS locator beacons inside the statues of baby Jesus, so that, if and when (and, more and more, it seems to be not a question of if, but rather only when) the statue is stolen by thieves, the item immediately turns into a moving geocache which constantly sends updates to a GPS-based tracking site from its embedded GPS beacon. A link to another article on the topic may be found here.

I would like to suggest that we borrow a bit of inspiration from these efforts, and that we come up with a new category of GPS-beacon-equipped moving geocaches (I realize that ClayJar already did something vaguely similar along the west coast a year or two ago, with the cooperation of Groundspeak...)

What about the farm animals and the 3 Wise Men? Mary and Joseph? Now were talking a lot of moving caches!

Churches are ultimately only concerned with finding Jesus.

Yeah. He seems to be lost all the time. I don't get it. Maybe the next person who finds him oughta give him a GPS or something.

Edited by Buggheart

"Lojacks For Jesus" :D

But it must be Atomic powered. I can't get my GPS to remain ON for more than about 15 hours on one set of internal batteries. I've had it on for a few hundred hours while connected to a brick of a gell cell battery, but I think anyone would notice that Jesus is putting on the weight.

What about the farm animals and the 3 Wise Men? Mary and Joseph? Now were talking a lot of moving caches!

Churches are ultimately only concerned with finding Jesus.

Yeah. He seems to be lost all the time. I don't get it. Maybe the next person who finds him oughta give him a GPS or something.

Well, my caching partner is named Jesus. (Though he pronounces it hey-SEUSS). And he gets lost even with the GPS. :D We were thinking of putting a nano on the bench in front of his bank, and calling it "Jesus Saves". But we decided against that. Anyone remember the old "Where's Your Name?" Locationless cache? YOU try finding a street with 'Jesus' in its name! We finally located one in Carmel, New York.

I should do that with my 10 foot cross that has Santa crucified on it - It's been stolen every year forcing me to make one even bigger the next year.

I pass through Horseheads nearly every year on the day after Christmas (on the way to the in-laws). Ya got coords for that? I'd love to see it.

Edited by briansnat

I should do that with my 10 foot cross that has Santa crucified on it - It's been stolen every year forcing me to make one even bigger the next year.

I pass through Horseheads nearly every year on the day after Christmas (on the way to the in-laws). Ya got coords for that? I'd love to see it.

Yes! COORDS please! I work at Elmira airport....

Sez the Pagan.... All joking aside, this would be a hoot for a church group to do as a private cache. Hide poor Baby Jesus someplace in the woods, and have to do a puzzle with Bible-verse clues to the co-ords. First ones to find Jesus get a.. cookie? ;)

P.S. I wanna se tha Santa too!

Edited by Butterfly Fox