THWARTINATION: How to prevent all kinds of things!

Snoogans

It's pronounced Thwar-tin-ation.

Okay we've got cache maggots and cheaters covered. This thread is for the rest of the things that need thwarting....

Share your knowledge of geocaching and help others learn from your mistakes:

To thwart having a "bad hunt," you could check the satellite maps of the location and read the cache logs. :D

To thwart being unprepared for a particular cache hunt, you could read the cache page and note the terrain and difficulty. :D

To thwart having to check the satellite maps of the location and read the cache logs, you could go to a local event or look at your local forum to find caches that have good word of mouth. :)

To thwart a dead GPSr one could carry extra batteries. :D

Okay, you get the idea.... START THWARTING! :D

Someday we might look back at December 2008 as the beginning of the "Thwart Movement" in geocaching. For seven years we do not see a single thread with the words "thwart" or "thwarting" in the title, but this week we see two. It's a trend! :D

Nope. THREE! ;) I wanted to get IN on the ground floor. :santa:

I like the word thwart!

Me too. I associate it with ragtag Rebal Alliances effing up the plans of Evil Empires. :santa::):) I dunno why.... :)

Edited by Snoogans

To thwart a dead GPSr one could carry extra batteries. ;)

Okay, you get the idea.... START THWARTING! :santa:

Never carry extra batteries! I always thwart this problem with the knowledge that I'm never that far from a Dollar Tree, Dollar General, of Family Dollar. Or a Looney General, Looney Tree, or Family Looney, when in Canada. :santa: I do remember getting gouged for Energizers at a rural gas station once though.

I think some good effort will have to be make to thwart this topic's move to Off Topic.

To thwart having many DNFs in a day, don't forget your PPC and be forced to search all day long with no informaiton other than coordinates, GCID and type/size (I did this on Monday).

To thwart having to skip all puzzles you'd planned for, load your GPS from the computer that has the coorected coordinates in GSAK, not the other computer (I did this on Monday)

To thwart embarassment, remember what city you're in. (I added many logs on Sunday saying I was driving around X town when I was in fact many miles away in another town that started with the same letter).

Any better?

I think some good effort will have to be make to thwart this topic's move to Off Topic.

Agreed...

To thwart this thread getting banished to OFF Topic, I'd suggest following Dave's and my examples and start thwarting in the geocaching context.

I.E.

To thwart getting stuck or damaging your car on a 4 to 5 star terrain cache that appears to be very near a marked road, one might want to take a 4WD vehicle on that outing. :D

Agreed...

To thwart this thread getting banished to OFF Topic, I'd suggest following Dave's and my examples and start thwarting in the geocaching context.

Will do.

To thwart a CO's ability to over estimate Difficulty and Terrain, ingest Lifeboy daily.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

To thwart a bad hunt and thwart chances of a DNF, look at the cache page and logs before leaving.

To thwart forgetting all the information that would avoid a bad hunt or chances of a DNF, print out cache pages in greyscale (lowest quality) and bring them with.

To thwart wasting paper, print cache pages on the back of other cache pages.

Are people who find a cache just to get swag that was left (and don't even trade for it... or trade down) considered Cache Maggots or are they something else? Sticky-fingered Opportunistic Self-serving Materialistic Cachers. To thwart that, when I leave something good (when I don't want to bother Freecycling something that I don't want in my house anymore, I leave it as swag), I don't claim the Take/Leave on the website.

From personal experience (regretfully)

...to thwart newbie cachers from placing caches, harangue them at every opportuity for bad co-ords, silly hints and illegible cache pages (just to find out later that they are two twelve year old kids riding their bikes and hiding caches)

...to thwart cache finding fun, get all worked up over who goes where to grab what when and end up asking yourself "Why are we doing this?" (Did ya catch the W5?)

...to thwart caching angst, just shut up and have some fun, y'all!

To thwart a Travel Bug from doing astray, create a laminated tag or card to let others know it's propose and goal without having to log online and check.

To thwart a Travel Bug's Hitchhiker from becoming missing in action, make it harder for opportunists to take the Hitchhiker by using picture hanging cable and small cable crimps.

Both of these "thwarts" take time and an investment but should be worth it in the long term.

I thwart I marked where I parked the car but I must have forgot.

BaDA bump crashhhh

There. I fixed your post. That one need the drum/crash to set it off proper, but it was still in the geocaching context. :D:D

Thanks I knew it was missing something but just couldn't place it at the time of the thwarting. :D

I thwarted a sock puppet today.

I love the smell of bleach in the morning. It smells like.... victory.

Whenever summoned, Captain Clorox is at the ready to leave the side of his sidekick, The Purple Dryer of Doom*, and dispense bleach dispenser justice with ruthless speed and efficiency.

sock_signal.jpg

*A dryer doesn't have a cape and is otherwise aerodynamically inefficient.

Edited by Captain Clorox

To thwart a Travel Bug from doing astray, create a laminated tag or card to let others know it's propose and goal without having to log online and check.

To thwart a Travel Bug's Hitchhiker from becoming missing in action, make it harder for opportunists to take the Hitchhiker by using picture hanging cable and small cable crimps.

Both of these "thwarts" take time and an investment but should be worth it in the long term.

To thwart TBs from going astray or being stolen, don't send it out. Attach it to your car or your dog or your kid.

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads