found something- chiseled square

woodstrider

OK- so maybe a million people start a thread like this one....found a bench mark and can't find it listed. So, here's another one...

While walking in Central Park, NYC, NY in a place I've been to like a million times I see something new... a nice chiseled square. Elev. also chiseled in stone next to it. It looks old and going by the structure it was on I'd say the 19th century. Or maybe it is an elaborate and very destructive "prank". Don't know.

So, what do I do?

Also... I am a geocacher who does not own a GPS...I kick it old school, using mapped coordinates to find the hides. Maybe a local hunter would like to go with me to ID this square? I live in Manhattan.

OK- so maybe a million people start a thread like this one....found a bench mark and can't find it listed. So, here's another one...

While walking in Central Park, NYC, NY in a place I've been to like a million times I see something new... a nice chiseled square. Elev. also chiseled in stone next to it. It looks old and going by the structure it was on I'd say the 19th century. Or maybe it is an elaborate and very destructive "prank". Don't know.

So, what do I do?

Also... I am a geocacher who does not own a GPS...I kick it old school, using mapped coordinates to find the hides. Maybe a local hunter would like to go with me to ID this square? I live in Manhattan.

Hey Woodstrider,

Can you post coordinates (approximate is fine, or possible a Google Maps link), and maybe a photo?

(If you haven't done photos in the forum before, you can't upload them directly; you have to put them on a server somewhere and then post the link here.)

-ArtMan-

So, what do I do?

Hi Woodstrider.

I'm familiar with the park and where the benchmarks are in it. If you can give the location based on the park features (near Bethesda Fountain, by the Boat House, at the north end of the Reservoir, etc.) I might be able to help. If the structure it was on is identifiable by name or place, that would be a great help.

Here's a set of maps that might help you describe the spot you found the chiseled square:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/PageNav...irtualpark_main

Click on one of the 4 sections and a larger image will appear with lots of land marks.

Regards

Papa Bear