Geocachers in Oakville area to help with program?

dldoyle

Hi,

We're trying to put together a 1 day geocaching session as part of a March Break camp (kids 8-12 years) through the Town of Oakville. We don't have much expertise in this area and wanted to try and find someone who would be interested in working with us to put together a short program. If anyone in the area (Halton/Mississauga) would be interested, we'd love to hear from you! The other thing we were trying to track down is whether there are any GPS rentals around here. We didn't want to invest in units just yet. Thanks!! Donna Doyle, Town of Oakville

Hi,

We're trying to put together a 1 day geocaching session as part of a March Break camp (kids 8-12 years) through the Town of Oakville. We don't have much expertise in this area and wanted to try and find someone who would be interested in working with us to put together a short program. If anyone in the area (Halton/Mississauga) would be interested, we'd love to hear from you! The other thing we were trying to track down is whether there are any GPS rentals around here. We didn't want to invest in units just yet. Thanks!! Donna Doyle, Town of Oakville

What are the dates for (your) March break?

I'm not sure what the rental places charge, but we have 2 Garmin ETrex LegendC's that we've used for middle school 'geocaching exploratories' that we'd be happy to load with maps and loan you no charge. The classes were every Wednesday (1 hour for 4 weeks) with time to go find caches on the school property included. The kids (grade 6-8) managed to get the hang of them very quickly. All we'd ask is that you ship them back with some insurance and tracking which should cost about $15.00. We broke the kids into groups of 4-5 with 1 GPS per group. They took turns doing data entry, etc.

We also have a custom middle school level Power Point presentation that covers our 4 - 1 hour days that we'd be happy to share with you for your purposes. We need to tweak it a bit before sending it, but it's certainly usable. We used it to direct the discussion and make sure we remembered to cover the topics we wanted to discuss, rather than inflict death by Power Point :D:D. I think we had 15-20 mins in class with the remainder of the hour out caching. One thing we were very surprised to find was that the majority of the kids had very little experience outside in nature other than walking to and from school and doing sports, so respecting the environment during a cache hunt was foreign to them. After day 1 we decided to expand the section related to 'Park Friendly' geocaching a bit. It was quite an eye-opener actually.

Thank you so much Northern Penguin and Landsharkz - that would be a great help! Here is the contact information for the person that's setting up the program. It might be easiest if you wouldn't mind sending an email to Trisha and then you could correspond directly.

Trisha Leszczynski

Town of Oakville

Phone - 905-845-6601, Ext 3948

email tleszczynski@oakville.ca

Thanks again! :blink:

Donna

We also have a custom middle school level Power Point presentation that covers our 4 - 1 hour days that we'd be happy to share with you for your purposes. We need to tweak it a bit before sending it, but it's certainly usable. We used it to direct the discussion and make sure we remembered to cover the topics we wanted to discuss, rather than inflict death by Power Point :rolleyes:<_<. I think we had 15-20 mins in class with the remainder of the hour out caching. One thing we were very surprised to find was that the majority of the kids had very little experience outside in nature other than walking to and from school and doing sports, so respecting the environment during a cache hunt was foreign to them. After day 1 we decided to expand the section related to 'Park Friendly' geocaching a bit. It was quite an eye-opener actually.

Hi Landsharkz

I am a Scouting Leader in Brampton and have been working on a program to introduce Geocaching to our youth. I like your idea of a Power Point program would I be able to get a copy of it. I know I will proably forget to talk about some thing so this would keep me on track as you pointed out

Scouterfred