Guidelines question

JeremyR

Context:

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

This is more than likely referring to smellables. Not only food but other things are smellable to critters such as raccoons and bears.

Just some that could be typically found in or on a geocache:

Film

Batteries

Duct Tape

Bug Repellant Wipes

Others that you would not put in a geocahe but may take camping:

Toothpaste

Deodorant

Mint dental floss

Chap stick

Sunscreen

All these things and more can and will attract wildlife to a cache.

The real question is-why would anyone think to leave it in a cache? Who would use any kind of personal hygiene product, especially an oral one, that was found in a cache? ;)

I had jerky stuck in my teeth. And besides, the piece I found balled up in the cache didn't look like it was hardly used at all! Edited by Trinity's Crew

The real question is-why would anyone think to leave it in a cache? Who would use any kind of personal hygiene product, especially an oral one, that was found in a cache? ;)

In one of the survival books reccomended in these forums dental floss (non waxed) was given as an example of a good thing to stick in your kit. It's handy and it's stored in a small form that doesn't knot itself up. I'd avoid the mint for the reason of attracting animals. That different than rushing home to use your cache swag survival floss on your teeth though. Yuck.

Here is a link to the log from 2001 mentioning the mint dental floss. (Trivia point: I later found this cache under my player account and absolutely loved it.)

And here is a link to the related forum discussion.

In a follow up thread, here's the owner's reaction to the flossed cache trashing.

Given that the mint dental floss example has been in the guidelines since 2002, I'm reasonably certain that this incident led to the guideline text.

Edited by Keystone

I've been on the discovering end of a number of caches (mostly hidden by one person in my area who apparently doesn't believe in gum cancer) in empty chew cans. They smell pretty minty to me, but probably not so susceptible to bears in the urban jungle where most are hidden.

I don't know if a bear or raccoon thinks there is a difference between a nicely scented chew can, dental floss, or a bag of oreos. Guess I'll ask one the next time I see one.

I have several micro sized hides that I have had to make a small log for. I used the mint dental floss (wax coated) as binding (sewing the pages of the log together) and as a way to remove the log from the container. . I used the mint because it's green. It is more visible so people can see the short thread and pull out the log. So far no problems. :D . I also use red thread. But I like the minty fresh smell :rolleyes: .

I've been on the discovering end of a number of caches (mostly hidden by one person in my area who apparently doesn't believe in gum cancer) in empty chew cans. They smell pretty minty to me, but probably not so susceptible to bears in the urban jungle where most are hidden.

We call those "Alabama Ammo Cans" in my area. :rolleyes: They make pretty poor cache containers IMO.

We call those "Alabama Ammo Cans" in my area. :rolleyes: They make pretty poor cache containers IMO.

Hey, that stings a little.

Given that the mint dental floss example has been in the guidelines since 2002, I'm reasonably certain that this incident led to the guideline text.

That looks like it, thanks :D enquiring minds have to know where such things come from :D

You're welcome! Thanks for asking - it was fun researching this. I had a vague recollection that it happened at a cache I had found. That plus a forum search scored the find.

Now, if only I were as good at solving puzzle caches.... :D

Thanks for those links. It was interesting to read that one of the oldest hiders in NC had also placed some in PA. I never got to meet him, but we've exchanged emails. It's also interesting and a bit sad to see how few posters in that old thread and finders of that old cache are still out there caching (or at least I don't recognize many names).

I don't know if a bear or raccoon thinks there is a difference between a nicely scented chew can, dental floss, or a bag of oreos. Guess I'll ask one the next time I see one.

Oh God, LOL! You're talking about Baradam! :) I hate those smelly things, makes me gag every flippin time. But you have to love his hides.

There's a guy down south that hides chew cans in guard rails.

I found a Hostess Twinky snack cake in a cache, I have it on display with my favorite swag collection. Those things never go stale. But I don't think I'd eat it.

Green, fuzzy bubblegum... that's a different story. Especially if it generates it's own heat. :)

Where'd you find the bag of Oreo's? There was a cache container that was a giant plastic Oreo. I don't think milk would keep well in a cache either... except for the snow.

Mmmm, Oreos and milk...

We call those "Alabama Ammo Cans" in my area. :) They make pretty poor cache containers IMO.

Hey, that stings a little.

And we have a winner!