What is the point?

Hi

Being new to this sport/hobby/game I am blessed with a lot of caches near to home.

However some cannot be located despite vigorous searches by two of us.

I have posted "did not find" and "notes" to this effect.

I have also posted a note regarding a full log that needs replacing.

But what is the point of me doing this?

Nothing has been answered or done on any of them and some are 2 weeks ago.

I would love to hear some comments and can take anything on the chin!

Not all logs are read by the owners..I usually delete most of the "found" emails...I haven't the time to read all of them.

Don't worry about getting any answer regarding logs that need replacing etc.

You can always post a "needs maintenance" log if a cache or log is in a bad way, say waterlogged.

Regarding DNF logs, I personally only check my caches if I get 3 in a row or I suspect the cache is gone.

It's good to post your comments in the cache log pages. :D

Those DNF's you can put on your watchlist to see how other cachers fair with them.

Everyone plays the game differently.

I also carry spare logsheets! :D

Hi

Being new to this sport/hobby/game I am blessed with a lot of caches near to home.

Hello - Welcome to this forum :D

You've done the right thing by posting a DNF log. Without knowing which cache is involved it's difficult to comment further. The cache may have gone missing, or it may be there but you were unable to find it. In such a case I would put the cache on my Watchlist to see whether anyone found it after me. Owners do not always immediately check on their cache as soon as one DNF log appears: If they know it's a particularly tricky one to find they may wait a while to see if other more experienced cachers also report a DNF. Sometimes it depends on how close that particular cache is to the owner's home.

It was also good that you mentioned that the log in another cache needs replacing. Sometimes cachers carry a few spare log books or log rolls and will help out the owner by putting a new one in the cache. You can also bring this to the owner's attention more clearly by posting a Needs Maintenance log. Following on after a NM log, if you notice that further logs on that cache continue to mention that the log book is full/needs replacing and there has been no response from the cache owner then you should consider putting a Needs Archive log onto the cache. This will alert a Reviewer to look at the cache and they will then take appropriate action.

MrsB :D

Welcome to the sport and to the forums.

Posting a DNF is definately the right thing to do, I'd hate to waste my time searching for a cache that isn't there or that may have a problem with it. Logging a DNF lets other cachers know that they may have trouble finding the cache or it may not be there, it also informs the owner of the cache, even if they don't act on it straight away other searchers of the cache will know what to expect and can choose wether to attempt to find it.

Ah! I skipped over this, just realised it's a dig at me! So... where do I start?

Had a quick look back and I can see a couple of DNFs on "Calder Valley View" and "Elland Bridge". No, I haven't been to check on the caches, both have had DNFs (posted and not...) in the past and been subsequently found and it's hardly unusual for a cacher with a single-figure find count to DNF a cache.

As for the full log on " Dung Rangers Tour #2 - McAlpine View", I'm not rushing out as the last time I checked the log was barely half full as only the front of the sheets had been used.

Well done on "Cromwell Bottom" by the way, first find after a year of no finds :D

No, its not a dig at anyone in particular - far from it - just a general query as to why I put these comments on the logs if nothing happens to them.

The replies have been very helpful and although I am new to this I am very experienced at different types of searching. I appreciate what is said about newbies like me not finding caches but I think I would have found both Elland Bridge and Calder View - I might yet be proved wrong!!

Cromwell Bottom was a real challenge, not just the puzzle, the hide was very good.

And now on to Poor Johnson!!

No, its not a dig at anyone in particular - far from it - just a general query as to why I put these comments on the logs if nothing happens to them.

All comments in logs are helpful in giving an overall picture of a cache and its history. We consider logs to be the pay-back to the cache owner for the time and trouble they have taken (or not :D ) in setting up the cache. We have a few excellent log-scribes around our area.

Good Luck! :D

MrsB

It's not a case of "nothing happening", I've read the logs and if a couple concur, then I'm likely to act within the time I have available. Unfortunately, I'm in the unfortunate position of having to work for a living!

The replies have been very helpful and although I am new to this I am very experienced at different types of searching. I appreciate what is said about newbies like me not finding caches but I think I would have found both Elland Bridge and Calder View - I might yet be proved wrong!!

We'll see! I've just looked at the list of DNF'ers on Calder Valley View, a role call and a half. I've replaced the cache once, what ISN'T logged on the page is that the original was subsequently found EXACTLY where it was place. So... it's one of two of MY OWN caches that I've been unable to find.

Cromwell Bottom was a real challenge, not just the puzzle, the hide was very good.

Thank you, and good luck!

Ah! I skipped over this, just realised it's a dig at me! So... where do I start?

Had a quick look back and I can see a couple of DNFs on "Calder Valley View" and "Elland Bridge". No, I haven't been to check on the caches, both have had DNFs (posted and not...) in the past and been subsequently found and it's hardly unusual for a cacher with a single-figure find count to DNF a cache.

As for the full log on " Dung Rangers Tour #2 - McAlpine View", I'm not rushing out as the last time I checked the log was barely half full as only the front of the sheets had been used.

Well done on "Cromwell Bottom" by the way, first find after a year of no finds :D

Calder Valley View.... now there's a blast from the past. I FTFed that one if I remember rightly. A lot of water down the Calder since then.

And the Dung Rangers Tour - I vaguely remember that series. :D:D

Hi

The point is so the owner knows. Some DNF's mean "yeah, it's a hard cache and I didn't find it either" but after a point the owner knows that someone should have found it, and would then know to check.

As for the rest, we all have differnet amounts of free time to participate in this activity. Real life always trumps what we do for fun. Two weeks is nothing. Caching for any reasonable person will never rise above such a simple thing as picking up a gallon of milk on the way home from work.

There are fanatics who will both shirk their other responsiblites to take care of a cache, and who will expect others to do the same.

In other words allow the active owners to take care of their caches as their own time and life allows. It's what they can do. It's the ones who won't get around to it no matter how long you give them that you need to worry about.

Here here to renegade Knight.....

I get DNF's posted on one of my caches in particular quite regularly... if I'm passing (which isn't that often,) then yeah, I'll check on it but I have a life outside of caching...

Believe it or not!!!!

My life doesn't revolve around which caches I can either do, or maintain, and I'll cache as my life allows... sometimes that's very often, sometimes it's as little as once a month... especially this time of year when it's dark when I get home (yes, I am not blessed with only working part time, or not at all) and at weekends, well, life can sometimes take over.

I have had emails from newer cachers a day or two after they post a ... wait for it... SHOULD BE ARCHIVED (!!!!!!!) when they couldn't find a cache, complaining that I've not been out and looked at it!!!

I know, I know, I'm on my hight horse, but remember... most cachers would be more than happy to give anyone a shove in the right direction, or even meet you at the cache location, after all, we WANT our caches to be found!!

Oh, and this isn't aimed at anyone, I'm just having a rant!

I don't think anyone has mentioned that a DNF is useful for yourself. If you're a regular cacher and have a normal memory, you might want to be reminded that you've attempted the cache. Also, some people use their geocaching logs as a personal logbook (I know I do), and like to see everything they've done.

That's why there's not much point in just writing "TNLN" as a "found it" log: the log entry is your own personal note of the cache experience. That the public can read it, including the cache owner, is merely a side effect, but it happens that this is useful on occasions.

I think the DNF and filling in the logs with details of possible problems are a good idea and helpful for both the owner and future people searching. Also feedback to the owner on a new cache personally I find very useful.

If a maintenace needed log is made, it needs to be removed by the cache owner and I have found a few recently that state they need maintenace but are in a good condition but the owner has forgotten to state they have been maintained.

Maybe this is a good example as to why a DNF should be logged.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...52-c21381eedf1f

I think the DNF and filling in the logs with details of possible problems are a good idea and helpful for both the owner and future people searching.

It turns out that prior to Fellsmanhiker's attempt on Beda Fell someone had actually recorded that they couldn't find it. Unfortunately they chose to so by mentioning it in their log for another cache rather than as a DNF. Chocolate fireguards come to mind!

MBF

I do take the point that caching has to fit in with 'normal' life but surely when you place a cache you also take responsibility for maintaining it? After all you found the time to create it, place it and record it so surely you can visit it within a reasonable time or at the very least log your intentions on the cache page to let other cachers know you're still interested.

I agree that owners shouldn't necessarily rush out at the first DNF but all too often I've seen a string of DNF's with no indication that the owner knows or cares yet it can be seen that they are still actively finding caches.

IMO you shouldn't place caches if you haven't got the time or inclination to maintain them.

I think there is always going to be a line between "being a bit busy at the moment and will check the cache when I have some free time" and "after months without finds and a string of DNFs there has been no action or reply from the cache owner" and for everybody that point of when acceptible maintenance becomes neglect is going to vary.

Sometimes priorities change, people have jobs to go to, mouths to feed, families to care for and somethimes caching gets overlooked. This is where posting DNFs or notes on the cache condition proves very useful, as cachers can read previous logs to determine the condition of the cache.

If everyone posted DNFs on the caches they couldn't find you'd get fewer upset cachers failing to find caches that they had no reason to believe weren't there. We could read the previous logs and decide wether we want to risk hunting for a particular cache or not.