Garmin Colorado 2.9 Firmware

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

* Added support for Garmin GB Discoverer maps

* Added ability to view marine chart notes for marine points

* Added ability to change the date for the tide and currents charts

* Added support for marine fishing, nautical, and off modes

* Fixed a potential shutdown that can occur when panning the map that is showing satellite imagery

* Fixed issue with 3d view not showing proper elevation detail

Looks like Garmin is trying get GB Discoverer map support in the OR and CO so they can release that product!

Looks like Garmin is trying get GB Discoverer map support in the OR and CO so they can release that product!

Okay, I'll bite. What is a "GB Discoverer Map"? Should I care?

Edit: Found this, but long on marketing hype, short on what is it?

Edit 2: Ah ha, GB = Great Britain. Yes, living in Colorado, I do not care.

Thanks

Edited by MtnHermit
It is getting depressing that they are not fixing the obvious bugs in any of these firmwares.

Why give the Oregon a screen blanking battery saver and not the Colorado? Silly.

My theory: Based on the recent Colorado fire sale prices, the Colorado is DEAD. I'm expecting either a Colorado II at CES 2009. OR, because the "Garmin Colorado" brand is damaged goods, a new brand name. Like Montana or even Calgary. :D
It is getting depressing that they are not fixing the obvious bugs in any of these firmwares.

Why give the Oregon a screen blanking battery saver and not the Colorado? Silly.

My theory: Based on the recent Colorado fire sale prices, the Colorado is DEAD. I'm expecting either a Colorado II at CES 2009. OR, because the "Garmin Colorado" brand is damaged goods, a new brand name. Like Montana or even Calgary. :D

I would tend to agree. EMS just had a blow out sale on the Colorado and doesn't seem to list the 300 and 400t any longer. REI is having a similar sale right now as well - which I still think it is a great deal for the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't carrying it after Xmas.

Somehow I don't think you'll see another high end receiver from Garmin at CES 2009 -- the Oregon will fill that slot for now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some replacements for their low end units or maybe the Colorado/Oregon platform makes its way into Rino/Astro replacements?

Maybe a version of the Oregon/Mapsource with support for aerial images like the PN-40.

GO$Rs

I'm not sure if it was this firmware or not, but I think "trails" and "unpaved roads" are displaying differently than before.

Ya know, I saw this today too. At first my wild imagination thought they gave us a poor-man's track manager. The area of Topo 2008 I was zoomed to showed trails as dashed-gray lines, right where I have saved tracks of some hikes. So yes, this is a change with the update.

I'm not sure if it was this firmware or not, but I think "trails" and "unpaved roads" are displaying differently than before.

Ya know, I saw this today too. At first my wild imagination thought they gave us a poor-man's track manager. The area of Topo 2008 I was zoomed to showed trails as dashed-gray lines, right where I have saved tracks of some hikes. So yes, this is a change with the update.

New? I remember seeing my Colorado 300 display unpaved roads in this manner last summer. I thought that this is the way that "unimproved roads" are supposed to show.

New? I remember seeing my Colorado 300 display unpaved roads in this manner last summer. I thought that this is the way that "unimproved roads" are supposed to show.

Ahh, try looking in a State park or in my case the Adirondack park where there are established trails. These are displaying new to me at least, to the point I thought they were my saved tracks.

Ahh, try looking in a State park or in my case the Adirondack park where there are established trails. These are displaying new to me at least, to the point I thought they were my saved tracks.

I have seen established trails in state parks, Rails-to-Trails trails, and a few other bicycle trails appear on my GPSr for some time now. Some of those trails are even paved, so they appear on the map as if they are roads, not just "unimproved roads" (gravel roads). I looked a little more closely and I see that they have changed the way the gravel roads appear, so that they are more obvious than previously. The old style was very similar to the pale gray road and you needed to zoom fairly high levels to see the breaks in the line.

I had a moment to post a "before" image and an "after" image to illustrate the change in how Topo 2008 trails appear after the firmware update.

This is how the trails looked before the update (as seen from a friend's Colorado 300 screen capture). You can see the trails as fainter gray lines. (His image has Map Shading turned On, mine was Off).

CO_Trails_beforeUpdate.jpg

And this is after the update (as seen on my Colorado 300 screen capture). The trails are plainly displayed now.

CO300_topo2008Trails.jpg

I hike here all the time and never saw these trails displayed so nicely as this. Funny how some fixes/improvements never make the revision list. So, thank you Garmin!

Edited by Timpat

I notice in this image, that none of the contours display values, whereas the Mapsource view does show elevations. Is this typical for the Colorado?

No, I turned Off the text labels on my Map points and User points on my CO so the trails would be more visible. All contours are labeled as well as other map point such as summits, shelters, water bodies, etc. and vary dependent of zoom levels.

I too am waiting for a Track Manager for the Colorado series.............c'mon, Garmin, can you please get that for those of us who still have and believe in the Colorado? - after all, when you live and play in Colorado, why would we use the Oregon? rider

Edited by rjfrider

Is firmware 2.9 recommended? Theirs no mention of 2.9 in the Wiki version list.

Thanks

BTW, Now that I have a CO 300 in hand, the Wiki is so cool. :D

Yes, v.2.90 is fine and has some improvements over 2.80. I updated and all is well on my 300.

Yes v.2.90 is recommended unless you are using 3D view.

Haven't had the time to update the wiki and blog yet because of an almost 48hr power outage after a nasty ice storm. What a mess around here.

More changes, Version 2.5 to 2.9.

If you look at these two maps, they show various land ownership: Private, BLM and Forest Service.

Version . . . . . 2.5 . . . . . . 2.9

Private . . . . White . . . Med Brown

BLM . . . . . . . Buff . . . . Light Brown

Forest . . Bright Green . Dull Green

MapColors2.5.gifMapColors2.9.gif

Version-2.5.gifVersion-2.9.gif

The red dash trail did not change. These are Colorado 24K Topos from Above the Timber.

confirming trail linetype display change, big improvement

What's wrong with the 3d view?

The first time you enter 3d view it works, if you exit and reenter it doesn't.

After updating my 300 to 2.9 I was getting the blue screen. While on the blue screen, I zoomed all the way in and the 3-D view appeared. It's been working fine since. although it does take a second or so to appear.

confirming trail linetype display change, big improvement

What's wrong with the 3d view?

The first time you enter 3d view it works, if you exit and reenter it doesn't.

After updating my 300 to 2.9 I was getting the blue screen. While on the blue screen, I zoomed all the way in and the 3-D view appeared. It's been working fine since. although it does take a second or so to appear.

But as g-o-cachers said, it only works the first time you enter 3D view mode. If you leave 3D view mode and try to get it back it remains on the blue screen (at least for the 30-45 seconds I waited for it to do something different).

Also, did anyone notice that they released an Oregon update to fix this on Friday, but there it no sign of a Colorado update for this, even though at least I have submitted a problem report on it? submitted 3 problem reports last week, and the only reply I got back on ay of them was to perform a full reset. I responded telling them that this unit has had numerous hard resets and the problems still persist. Not making me eel too confident in their support team. Sounds like a Windows support tech "try rebooting and see if that help."

Any news on the 3D issue. I submitted this to Garmin as well. I also mentioned that the Oregon was having the same problem but a patch was released to fix it. I was just told that 2.9 for the Colorado was supposed to fix the same problem. I don't know where else to turn, but I think there is some confusion at Garmin...

I tried 3D View again yesterday on my Colorado running 2.9 and it seems to be working. The second time I entered 3D View it took a long time for the map to draw (20-30 seconds) but it eventually came up.

Is this the case with everyone else or do some people just see the "blue screen" forever the second time they enter 3D View.

I tried 3D View again yesterday on my Colorado running 2.9 and it seems to be working. The second time I entered 3D View it took a long time for the map to draw (20-30 seconds) but it eventually came up.

Is this the case with everyone else or do some people just see the "blue screen" forever the second time they enter 3D View.

Yes, I see the same operation as you, that is the second time it takes quite a while before displaying the 3D view.

One odd thing I have seen whilst running Colorado 2.9 3d side by side with the 'fixed' Oregon 3d view: -

On the Colorado it seems to draw a 3d landscape 'tile' through which I drive through, eventually dropping off the edge of the map ;) - whereupon there is a slight delay whilst it draws a new 3d tile.

On the Oregon the tile seems to be constantly updated with new information, so you never drive off the edge of the tile.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it just because I have UK topo mapping on the Colorado 300 which has more detailed information and just the lesser detailed European Topo on the Oregon 400t? Or is this a difference between the two units themselves?

Cheers,

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

I'm indoors without SV lock and my CO 300 will not redraw the 3-D view on a second try, unless, I go to "Where To" and select a waypoint to bring up that screen, then it will but takes the 20-30 sec you report to draw it. Going to any other screen does not allow the re-draw even after a 1 min wait.

I'll try at lunch break to test it outdoors with SV lock to see if that makes a difference and report back.

Update: my CO 300 is behaving the same way as described above when having a good SV lock. After the initial 3-D viewing the only way I can view it again is to go to "Where To" and back out to 3-D. Even powering it down this is the case.

Edited by Timpat

Any news on the 3D issue. I submitted this to Garmin as well. I also mentioned that the Oregon was having the same problem but a patch was released to fix it. I was just told that 2.9 for the Colorado was supposed to fix the same problem. I don't know where else to turn, but I think there is some confusion at Garmin...

I too reported this to Garmin, but before teh Oregon patch was released. I still have not heard back from them on this issue at all. The day I reported this issue, I reported 2 other issues, of those 2 issues, I have only heard back from them on one. Their response on that was "try a full reset and see if it fixes it".

Found a Colorado 2.9 firmware Bug today:

If you create a custom Profile, the last profile created will be unable to turn off DEM shading in the map view.

I created three custom profiles for my needs including custom watermarks to identify ownership. Because I didn't want to create and post screenshots with the ugly watermark, the last profile was w/o a watermark background. For two hours I chased my tail trying to get the DEM shading to turn off, I could not. The work around is to create a dummy profile, in my case the fourth custom profile, so that the third allowed the DEM shading to turn off.

Here's my version: Version-2.9.gif

If this is already known, I missed it.

Colorado custom feature I'd not known before:

Under the Advanced Option, Text size can be independently set for four different classes of map objects. The first screenshot shows the classes, the second an example map using these text sizes.

For me, this independent text size is very useful. Coming from an eTrex, all text sizes applied to all objects and small wasn't very small. Didn't see this in the Wiki.

MapTextScreen.gifMapTextExamples.gif

It seems like the issue with 3D View in 2.9 is caused at least in part by the Map Detail setting. If you have Setup>Map>Map Detail set to Most this seems to cause the problem to happen for most people. Similarly setting to a lower value will resolve the issue. It may also have to do with the map/elevation detail in the area you are using the 3D View as well.

It seems like the issue with 3D View in 2.9 is caused at least in part by the Map Detail setting. If you have Setup>Map>Map Detail set to Most this seems to cause the problem to happen for most people. Similarly setting to a lower value will resolve the issue. It may also have to do with the map/elevation detail in the area you are using the 3D View as well.

Nice detective work! I can confirm your findings. If I set Map Detail to Most (which I always use) it will display 3-D once, but at any other lesser Map Detail setting it works every time.

Nice detective work! I can confirm your findings. If I set Map Detail to Most (which I always use) it will display 3-D once, but at any other lesser Map Detail setting it works every time.

Happy to see that it's working for you 2. I was not sure that I found the "real source" of this bug. Let see if Garmin will be able to fix this after I partially chew them the work.

In fact, Scott (from http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=239) gave me an hint this morning...

"I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of terrain detail or elevation data in your particular area. I’m in a relatively flat, featureless area."

So I "simply" (After installing back 2.8 for nothing...losing all of my things in the process) tried to lower the map detail settings and BANG...it works.

Hope it won't be too hard for the garmin's guys to solve this out... and the auto-zoom not working in off road routing... and the so awaited track manager... and... ok ok ...

Merry Christmas to you all...maybe all of these things fixed in 2009!

Edited by topkick55