Canuck Pilgrimage to Original Stash Site

jeff-trex

I have been wanting to plan a trip to the place where caching all started for sometime now and as I am close to my 3000th find (186 caches). I thought that a trip to Geocaching Mecca would be perfect.

No date set yet but I was thinking of sometime early to mid spring 2009. Posting this to see who else would be interested in making the trip as well.

Was going to base around the Portland area renting a car and head out on day trips caching (lots of caches to do around there. Thinking of either a hotel of one of the nice Hostels in Portland.

The main goals of the trip would be:

1. Original Stash tribute Plaque (GCGV0P)

2. Mission 9 Tunnel of light APE cache (GC1169)

3. Mt. St. Helen's - as seen on TV Multi (GC2EA1)

4. All Cool Cachers Log DNF's here (GCWCMG)

5. Groundspeak Navigation 101 (GC13056). I have this puzzle solved and confirmed coords

6. if there is time Maybe a visit to the Groundspeak office

Plus a chance to log some old active caches with a four, five and six digit GC codes

We will be in Portland, OR over Spring Break as I'm taking The Drama Queen to see 'Wicked' the musical. We've done the GeoTriad already, but it would be cool to meet up with you to go to Mt. St. Helen's. It's our only other planned destination and this time I'm not driving by without stopping!

I haven't booked the tickets yet, but was planning on doing it soon.

I think GSHQ accepts visitors by appointment on Fridays... There is a cache at the LilyPad to log, plus there's really cool stuff to see and the folks are the most gracious hosts/hostesses around!

We will be in Portland, OR over Spring Break as I'm taking The Drama Queen to see 'Wicked' the musical. We've done the GeoTriad already, but it would be cool to meet up with you to go to Mt. St. Helen's. It's our only other planned destination and this time I'm not driving by without stopping!

I haven't booked the tickets yet, but was planning on doing it soon.

I think GSHQ accepts visitors by appointment on Fridays... There is a cache at the LilyPad to log, plus there's really cool stuff to see and the folks are the most gracious hosts/hostesses around!

Now I'm wondering if there will be snow on Mt. St. Helen's at Spring Break... stands to reason that there would :D . I'll check...

Now I'm wondering if there will be snow on Mt. St. Helen's at Spring Break... stands to reason that there would :D . I'll check...

Most of the fancy visitor centres are on State Highway 504 (Spirit Lake Highway, the road I grew up on), but they don't open till mid-May. You could probably get most of the way up 504, the roads are kept clear and open up to the dam, just east of Kid Valley, which is about 20 miles from I-5. The roads to GC2EA1, on the south side of the mountain, should be open. Ape Caves is a great place to check out if you're on the south side. Should be accessible to winter equiped vehicles.

Now I'm wondering if there will be snow on Mt. St. Helen's at Spring Break... stands to reason that there would ;) . I'll check...

Most of the fancy visitor centres are on State Highway 504 (Spirit Lake Highway, the road I grew up on), but they don't open till mid-May. You could probably get most of the way up 504, the roads are kept clear and open up to the dam, just east of Kid Valley, which is about 20 miles from I-5. The roads to GC2EA1, on the south side of the mountain, should be open. Ape Caves is a great place to check out if you're on the south side. Should be accessible to winter equipped vehicles.

Too funny! I was going to ask you... since that's your old stompin' grounds! So can we make the pilgrimage to Mt. St. Helen's at Spring Break or do we have to make another trip later in the spring?

Too funny! I was going to ask you... since that's your old stompin' grounds! So can we make the pilgrimage to Mt. St. Helen's at Spring Break or do we have to make another trip later in the spring?

Well... if you have the right vehicle, you can get anywhere at anytime! But if you want to see the National Monument visitor centres, you have to visit after mid May. They usually open up around May 18, which is the anniversary date of the big eruption.

Well... if you have the right vehicle, you can get anywhere at anytime! But if you want to see the National Monument visitor centres, you have to visit after mid May. They usually open up around May 18, which is the anniversary date of the big eruption.

This would also be a good time to do the Mission 9 Tunnel of light APE cache (GC1169), so you can hike through the tunnel (2.3 miles) to reach it. The tunnel typically opens around the first of May (weather permitting). Bring good flashlights and dress warmly, regardless of the outside weather, it's cold and dark in the tunnel.

There are several caches between the tunnel and the APE cache, plus one inside the tunnel.

I did the trip last year (I'm from BC) and found the area very easy to navigate.

Look into the KOA kampground at Cascade Locks, OR. I found this location a good jumping off point to doing the Original Stash Tribute cache, plus there are number of caches in the nearby area.

I worked my way thru Portland to the coast, then north thru Astoria (across a super cool bridge) and into Washington state. Stayed at another KOA in the area. I see there are three close to Mt. St. Helens.

If you are going to Mt. St. Helens, then look into going to Ape Cave. It's a cool underground lava tube open to the public. I went several years ago, and it cost $5 for the day to park near the entrance. Don't know what it cost now :-( (I'm a fat guy, and I was able to complete the long portion of the tube). Bring several flashlights, a warm jacket, and I would recommend a light helmet (wacked my head at several places along the tube).

Mission 9: Tunnel of Light is a definite destination! Prepare to spend 2 to 3 hours minimum, as the hike thru the tunnel takes over 1/2 hour each way (for me, I stopped several times along the way to check things in the tunnel, so it took me longer).

Hope this helps - Good luck on your pilgrimage!

I have e-mailed another cacher in Portland and I was told that the Tunnel where the APE cache was did not open til junes last year so I am throwing out another date to see who can make it.

New dates June 22nd to 29th I am flexible on these dates but sometime around end of June.

I hate to bring you bad news, but you are probably going to have to take the alternate route to the APE cache instead of the tunnel. The tunnels are closed indefinitely until funding for repairs is found.

See this thread in the Northwest forum

John Wayne Trail Tunnels Closed Indefinitely