http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

Change History

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Added support for Garmin GB Discoverer maps

Added ability to view marine chart notes for marine points

Added ability to change the date for the tide and currents charts

Added a display option in the setup menu to save battery power

Fixed shutdown that can occur when you enter coordinates in demo mode

Fixed a potential shutdown that can occur when panning the map that is showing satellite imagery

Improved GPS accuracy when using WAAS

Edited by Newsdude

The 400i has it. You can load it onto the rest with MOAGU or Mapwell.

Glad to see Garmin keeps thumbing it's nose to everyone who would like waypoint averaging reintroduced into the new Garmin handhelds. Thanks for listening Garmin!!!!!!!

Edited by yogazoo

The 400i has it. You can load it onto the rest with MOAGU or Mapwell.

Thank you.

Has anyone on here used maps from mapwell or MOAGU? is it worth it? I'm a casual geocacher, thought it would be pretty neat to see satellite images of where I am, and I wonder if it's detailed enough to show trails?

Which altimeter plot is not working? Altitude over time or distance? Mine seems to work fine.

Double check and make sure your track log is enabled (Setup>Tracks>Track Log>Record, Show on Map/Record, Do Not Show). Garmin fixed an issue with how this setting gets remembered for each profile so it may be that yours somehow got turned off which would also make the altimeter not work any longer.

There's also been a long standing issue with the altimeter on the Oregon when the unit first starts up or you change the tracklog settings. Sometimes the altimeter plot won't display for a few minutes at certain zoom levels. Try zooming in/out or waiting a few minutes.

Same problem here. There was a "fix" in the new version of Colorado software released today. I wonder if some "common code" got munged?

I can confirm this as well.

Great release.....the Altimeter display no longer works either.

Altimiter reads (-) numbers now

Oregon 400T updated to 2.7/2.58

Problem: In geocaching mode with shaded relief enabled. Turn power off. When turned back on unit is not remembering the shaded relief setting.

Have to go back in and reset through setup.

No 3D confirmed.

Anyone else having the same problem with the shaded relief setting?

I really wonder if Garmin tries this stuff out before they release it. :D

Oregon 400T updated to 2.7/2.58

Problem: In geocaching mode with shaded relief enabled. Turn power off. When turned back on unit is not remembering the shaded relief setting.

Have to go back in and reset through setup.

No 3D confirmed.

Anyone else having the same problem with the shaded relief setting?

I really wonder if Garmin tries this stuff out before they release it. :D

Yep, you now have to turn shaded relief back on every time you start up...........I wonder what else is wrong?

I tried WAAS last night with a clear view of 51 and I was able to get a reliable lock within 3-6 minutes each time I tried. However when I went into the woods with it this morning I couldn't get WAAS locked at all. The Colorado I had in my other hand picked up 51 and stayed locked for most of the walk. My experience is that the 60csx locks faster and stays locked better than both the OR or CO.

Confirmed: Unit is not remembering the "show shaded relief" setting over power cycles. My unit is also crashing when switching profiles.

What kind of half-a**ed programmers work for Garmin anyway?!?!?! With every new release of a firmware they introduce new problems and issues while at the same time failing to add Waypoint Averaging. Where are the guys who programmed the 60CSX? Did they go to work for Delorme?

After further investigation something pops out about the shaded relief defaulting to DO NOT SHOW. It only happens with the profile enabled upon POWER OFF/POWER ON. The other profiles retain the option to show the relief if available.

If this would have been a "feature" you would think it would apply across the board for all profiles. The fact that it only apply's to the active profile is baffling.

Edited by yogazoo

another wierd thing I've noticed.

Has the barometer/altimeter always skipped the first (far right) graduation? The entire first scale measurement on the right hand side is devoid of information. Would there be a reason for this or is this yet another quirk I'll be forced to live with as an Oregon owner?

Another: The text size for Land Cover features is not in the options to change. Therefore I can't select NONE to turn off the elevation text on my contour intervals as I could on the Colorado. As they show, the map seems a bit cluttered. CHanging the Land Cover zoom levels does nothing either.

Edited by yogazoo

Same boat here

always crashes when going to marine mode

no 3d view now

For geocaching I normall do not use those modes but definatley not the best update. I do like the white background now in Geocaching mode, it easier to see in sunlight. If I want the green background I can switch to the Rec. mode.

Close but not a 100%

Scott

I seem to have lost my 3d view. I just get a blue screen looks like sky blue. Anybody else?

Well, I have a Colorado and applied the update that came out the same day. I tested the theory and saw that I also had the blue screen initially, but I rolled my R-n-R anti-clockwise and the viewing angle/distance changed to where it looked normal. Of course I figured that you could try the same and see if it worked for you. Then I realized I had better check to see if it held across power cycles, and guess what, it doesn't. Also I now see that even though it worked the first time to get my 3D view back, it no longer works on my Colorado t recover from the "sky blue" screen...

This issue with version 2.70 totally knocking out the 3-D function is apparently pretty common. I updated 2 Oregon 300's and one 400t here in the store, and it killed this function on all of them! I called Garmin's Dealer Tech line and told them about this so hopefully a patch will be posted soon.

New firmware for the Oregon

Available from Garmin's WebUpdater

Updates to firmware 2.70 and GPS firmware from 2.54 to 2.58

Change History

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Added support for Garmin GB Discoverer maps

Added ability to view marine chart notes for marine points

Added ability to change the date for the tide and currents charts

Added a display option in the setup menu to save battery power

Fixed shutdown that can occur when you enter coordinates in demo mode

Fixed a potential shutdown that can occur when panning the map that is showing satellite imagery

Improved GPS accuracy when using WAAS

Wow...

So garmin has to come up with a patch to fix what was broken by their patch.

:D

I'm feeling more and more temptation to pick up a DeLorme PN-40 as an upgrade to my 60Csx instead of either a Colorado or Oregon.

:D

Keep in mind that these bugs are not important features.... None of them exist at all on a PN-40 or 60csx.

Hmmm what to do, to update or not.

Does anyone regret doing the update?

I'd like the power saver mode and my map [oztopo2.1] won't do 3d anyways.

Is it possible to go back to version 2.60 if 2.70 sux?

I'm happy with 2.60 really, although I would like the power saver mode.

Thanks ... Roger

Aside from the 3D view and relief shading bugs I'm not aware of any new issues. The later is a nuisance bug because you can just reenable the shading after you power on. If you can live with this and w/o 3D view then I would say upgrade if you want access to the new features. The basic functions all seem to work fine based on a couple of days of testing.

I ran a battery test with battery saver mode enabled and the Oregon stayed on for about 22.5 hours using a set of 2700mAh NiMH batteries. I thought it would have been better given that the Oregon ran for about 21.5 hrs with just the backlight turned off. This test would suggest that the battery saver mode really isn't going to buy you much over having the standard backlight timeout enabled.

I ran the test the same way I did here:

http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=199

The only difference was that I had the battery saver mode enabled and screen timeout set for 30 seconds. The screen was off for the duration of the test other than to check the progress of the test 3-4 times.

GO$Rs

Thank you g o - cashers, you do some great work for the forum and your www site...cool.

Yeah I might go the update I think.

I don't have 3D or relief shading available with my Australian topo map, so no loss.

I read Garmin is about to release an Australian topo map that does relief shading

but I'm not sure about the 3D part so maybe they will fix the bugs by then.

Thanks again

Roger

the tracklog-problem still exists with the newest version.

I always have the setup

SETUP - TRACKS - RECORD,SHOW ON MAP

Sometimes it changes to DO NOT RECORD

It might have something to do with lost signal and changing into demomode

Therefore it's a pitty to check always the unit after powering on, if track-logging is enabled.

I am tired of reporting this bug.

If Delorme would have maps for europe, i would not hesitate to buy a nongarmin unit.

Edited by freeday

This is different.

Forcing the "Track Log" setting to change to "Do not Record" in demo mode is intentional (you don't want bogus track data in the simulated location). It has worked this way on the Colorado and Oregon since day one. On my Oregon I set to demo mode, noted the change above, set back to normal (or WAAS) mode and noted that the setting was restored to "Record". Is this not what you are seeing?

BTW, the issue introduced in 2.6 was that the Track Log setting was not getting preserved across profile changes, it was always getting set to Record, Show on Map. That is fixed in 2.7, I have it set to Record, Show on Map in my outdoor profile and Record, Dont Show in my Automotive profile.

I ran into another minor issue with the battery saver mode today:

If you navigate in off-road mode to a destination with the battery saver enabled sometimes the Oregon will freeze, displaying a completely white screen. I've experienced this twice, the one time I saw it and was really paying attention here is what happened:

1) I was navigating in off road mode to a waypoint

2) The battery saver mode was enabled with a timeout of 15 seconds

3) Before I approached the waypoint the battery saver mode kicked in, the screen timed out and turned off.

4) As I arrived at the waypoint I touched the screen (reactivating the screen) at almost exactly the same time as the "arriving at" alert activated. This sequence of actions left me on a pure white screen, backlight on full but the screen was not responsive, the unit beeped when I pressed the power button, but there was no other sign of life.

The first time I saw the issue I power cycled to clear the issue. The second time I saw it I allowed the screen to timeout again and noted it came back fine the next time I tapped the screen.

This is different.

Forcing the "Track Log" setting to change to "Do not Record" in demo mode is intentional (you don't want bogus track data in the simulated location). It has worked this way on the Colorado and Oregon since day one. On my Oregon I set to demo mode, noted the change above, set back to normal (or WAAS) mode and noted that the setting was restored to "Record". Is this not what you are seeing?

BTW, the issue introduced in 2.6 was that the Track Log setting was not getting preserved across profile changes, it was always getting set to Record, Show on Map. That is fixed in 2.7, I have it set to Record, Show on Map in my outdoor profile and Record, Dont Show in my Automotive profile.

my unit sometimes does not restore to record. (as already mentioned - therefore i have to check it every time which is :D:D:D )

I do not set it to demo mode manually. But checking some features indoor will do so.

I think I'll wait till everything settles down in this update before upgrading :D

It is certainly a good sign that Garmin Updated thier update so quickly though...

Has now been bumped to 2.80

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

* Fixed 3D view not displaying

* Fixed shaded relief being set to 'Do Not Show'

* Fixed shaded relief being set to 'Do Not Show'