New oregon 400t

I just bought the new Oregon 400t. And i am also a new cacher. when i use the GPSr while driving, it shows me off the road? going to the east, it shows the road about 20' to the left. When goiung south, it shows the road on the left also. Is the map off or is the coord. off on the unit? My nuvi 350 shows me right on the road.

Thanks for any info.

Edited by GA cacheman

I don't have an Oregon, but you need to check to see if you have the option to "lock on road". Not sure where you'll find that with the Oregon, but it's there on other Garmin units.

The displacement could be for a lot of reasons, the easiest one being that the 20' offset is where the GPSr thinks it is, and that's not necessarily where it actually is. That's why there's an "error" circle.

But once you find the "lock on road" option, click that and the problem should disappear.

I don't have an Oregon, but I do have a Colorado 400t. When I put it in automobile mode including "lock on roads", it still does not always do so although for most of the trip it is on the road it still continues to sometimes drift off the road. Most times I can tell which side of the road I was driving on, but there is still somtimes significant drift. This is true even with a Garmin external antenna attached.