a name for people who dont geocach but know about geocaching

tsnyder88

I guess it depends on what you mean by the fact they "know" about geocaching. Do they have just a general knowledge, or are they one of those who add their two cents worth as if they know everything in the world? I used to work with one of those who knew everything there was to know. We called him "The Moth" because he was drawn to every conversation like a moth to a flame. And, that quickly broke up the discussion :)

Geo-Friendly, Cache-K, K.

A couple weeks ago cmilk and I were out caching near a town marquee. We surprised a lady changing the sign and she asked if we were enjoying the day. I decided to throw all caution to the wind and say that we were out geocaching and we were definitely enjoying the day. She said it was a great day for that.

It seems to me that geocaching is starting to be commonly understood game. And I'm happy about that.

Skydivers refer to such an informed non-participant as a "Wuffo." As in "Wuffo you wanna jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

(Over twenty years ago, while in college, I graduated from Wuffo to skydiver. It started when I took an observer ride – a 'wuffo' ride – and watched mesmerized as three of my buddies tumbled out of the airplane and into the sky below. I signed up immediately for the local first-jump course, and it was awesome!!)

Using Google I found another website that applies the term to any hobby: "Wuffo: A word used to describe a person that cannot understand your sport." (I’d post a link, but unfortunately the same page also includes some family-unfriendly verbiage.)

Edited by KBI

Sane.

In the case of my wife it's more like "conscientious objector." :lol:

She thinks geocaching is dumb as heck and the only thing dumber than geocaching is talking about it or reading about it. :rolleyes:

She thinks we're all dorks, but to use her words we're "Cool Dorks." She likes events, especially to sit and chat with the other non-geocaching spouses making fun of us/Me. :lol:

She's a Harry Potter nerd and she totally HATES the fact the WE have bastardized the term "Muggle" for non-geocachers. :rolleyes:

She's a bit of outdoor snob as well having worked for REI for over 5 years. She figures if it takes a piece of tupperware to get you on the trail, 5 out of 10 geocachers wouldn't be prepared enough for the hike. (Don't tell her, but I kinda agree there. That's why I over rate my most remote and difficult caches.) :lol:

Edited by Snoogans

In keeping with the Harry Potter theme (using "Muggle" for non-cachers), I believe "Squib" would be appropriate.

My vote is for "Squib" as well! :rolleyes:

This is awesome! This has to be the winner. Of course only a small percentage of geocachers will have any idea what it means. Only a small percentage even know where muggle comes from. Geez, I thought Harry Potter was really popular. :rolleyes:

Geo-seeker.

Although squib is kinda cool.

That said, the whole Harry Potter thing doesn't make this hobby any easier to explain to geo-seekers.

I was thinking "squib" when I saw this topic, glad someone already beat me too it (sharing in our Harry Potter dorkiness! :rolleyes: )

I like squiggle! But I think that would be a Mudblood.

Geo-seeker.

That said, the whole Harry Potter thing doesn't make this hobby any easier to explain to geo-seekers.

I was thinking "squib" when I saw this topic, glad someone already beat me too it (sharing in our Harry Potter dorkiness! :rolleyes: )

I like squiggle! But I think that would be a Mudblood.

I forgot to mention in my post, I ran across three squibs on the same day a couple of weeks ago. (A married couple at one site, and lone female at another). They all stated they'd heard about it, but did not participate.

I might change my mind though, and go with zhttyr as Trainlove suggested. :rolleyes:

continuing in this theme, I submit "Partially Enlightened" as only the truly enlightened would cache.

I know a few caches where all local residents (not geocachachers) know where the box is. Only the geocachers visiting there from time to time need their GPSr to find it.

So, who's enlightened here? :rolleyes:

I just call them lazy, of course most of the people that I know who know about geocaching but wont do it are the same kind of people that would jump all over a geocaching video game.

Hmmm combine the environmental manipulation of halflife with the free play of GTA and the massiveness of an MMORPG and you have one boring game that could make some money. :rolleyes:

Geo-seeker.

Harry Potter, wasn't he in M.A.S.H.?

That was HARRY Morgan acting the role of Col. POTTER

Nice try, though, I got a smile out of that,

and no, I did not have to google that information - I grew up watching the show.

I really dislike the Harry Potter theme, have so ever since I started. I will begin my own personal crusade for a change to start calling the uninformed, partially uninformed or disinterested individuals BLONDS like it or not

ahhh how many thoughts can be gathered from one single word everyone is familiar with

Hey, look out for Blonds at the cache site, they are everywhere

Hey, did you get a load of that Blond - could'nt find the cache if it hit him in the face

Stealth required heavy Blond area

get my point - whatever :D

We need a name for people who don't geocach but know about geocaching.

I think there might actually be several layers to muggledom. Here is one possible analysis, breaking "muggle" down into its various sub-components:

One whose non-caching status results from ignorance: Iggle

One whose non-caching status results from apathy: Apple

One whose non-caching status results from having been banned by Groundspeak: Bangle

One whose non-caching status results from fear of danger: Dangle

One whose non-caching status results from archiving all their caches and stomping off in a huff: Disgruntle

One whose non-caching status results from simply never being able to keep up with the rest of the caching crowd: Straggle

One whose non-caching status results from being dried-up and way too old: Haggle

One whose non-caching status is merely intermittent and depends on one’s wild mood swings: Fickle

One whose non-caching status results from over dependence on psycho-active drugs: Giggle

One whose non-caching status results from living too far from any existing hides: Jungle

One whose non-caching status results from owning a defective compass: Angle

One whose non-caching status results from having choked on their Garmin: Gargle

One whose non-caching status results from being a Magellan owner: Mangle (Or maybe just "Lost.")

One whose non-caching status results from having parked on the wrong side of the freeway at the last cache one ever attempted: Froggle

One whose non-caching status results from being born fifteen centuries too early: Medieval

One whose non-caching status results from being born five thousand centuries too early: Neander-tle

One whose non-caching status results from being entirely the wrong species: Seagull

One whose non-caching status results from accidentally becoming permanently stuck just inside a rock wall crevice: Spackle

In keeping with the Harry Potter theme (using "Muggle" for non-cachers), I believe "Squib" would be appropriate.

My vote is for "Squib" as well! :mad:

So my son isn't half muggle. :D

He's a Half-Squib? :mad::D

Half-Blood, actually.

My wife HATES the idea of us also adopting "Squib" into our vernacular, so it gets my vote!

However, she agrees that if our son has to be referred to in this context that he would have to be a Half-Blood, since there is no Half-Squib. :D

In keeping with the Harry Potter rules, I think Squib would actually be incorrect in this context. A Squib is defined as one who is born of magical or wizarding parents but possess no magical powers themselves. So since my mom geocaches but my dad doesn't that makes me a half-blood. Since both my grandparents were dead before the geocaching even existed and my dad has no interest, he'd be a Squib. But if he did have an interest he'd be Muggle-born or a Mudblood. So muggle doesn't really work in this context either.

I know way too much about Harry Potter. Loser.