Thwarting "Cache Maggots"

BrrrMo

Is the proper treatment for this type of activity, if you catch one, the same as is promoted in Willy Nelson's song "Whiskey For My Men and Beer For My Horses"? :)

While I am posting does anyone have the URL for Speed Freaks hints solving program?

Edited by BrrrMo

While I hear and understand your frustration, I hardly think that theft of an ammo can full of Mctoys rates capital punishment.

If its a recurring problem, you could make your hides PMOCs, then you know who is looking at the cache page, and who has the coords. That might be a deterrent for the person who is doing this to you.

Failing that, just repeat the following, "It's just a game. It's just a game."

While I hear and understand your frustration, I hardly think that theft of an ammo can full of Mctoys rates capital punishment.

If its a recurring problem, you could make your hides PMOCs, then you know who is looking at the cache page, and who has the coords. That might be a deterrent for the person who is doing this to you.

Do you get notifications of every time a pocket query with your member-only cache is sent? Sounds unlikely, so it doesn't really give you any extra "security"

Do you get notifications of every time a pocket query with your member-only cache is sent? Sounds unlikely, so it doesn't really give you any extra "security"

The added security of a PMOC is just the fact that a pirate would have to pay money to get the coordinates, which is still possible, but much less likely. As I understand it, this is the reason the PMOC option was created. That's the best option you have until the local pirate gets over his fun and stops stealing. And if you think the pirate is a PM, then the best you can do is to not re-hide the caches he steals until he's done. It stinks.

I bought a geocoin for my god-son who is 4, and it got robbed out of a cache before he even got to see it. Even before this game I have no sympathy for thieves. I really really dispise them actually. I have thought of putting a bounty out on that coin, to make sure that the only person that gets to enjoy the coin is the thief. It has really made me re-think putting items in caches.

Cache Maggots are people who take TB's and GeoCoins and keep them. The song refers to the old movie Hang'em High

Ah. I thought cache maggots were people who steal geocaches. I gotta update my geodictionary. People who steal geocoins and Travel Bugs are Geocoin/Travel Bug Thieves?

Is that what you want to call them? So respectful of a thief to call them what they are. Why not call them geovultures, or something derogatory? I have names for them, but I don't think its appropriate for these forums.

Cache Maggots are people who take TB's and GeoCoins and keep them. The song refers to the old movie Hang'em High

Ah. I thought cache maggots were people who steal geocaches. I gotta update my geodictionary. People who steal geocoins and Travel Bugs are Geocoin/Travel Bug Thieves?

Is that what you want to call them? So respectful of a thief to call them what they are. Why not call them geovultures, or something derogatory? I have names for them, but I don't think its appropriate for these forums.

Thieves are lazy by nature, I will not relocate a coin or bug unless it has at least 3/3 rating.

Seems to work in my area lately, and I tend to drop them at PMOC's

Thieves are lazy by nature, I will not relocate a coin or bug unless it has at least 3/3 rating.

Unfortunately that only works once. and when the next person picks it up, its usually dropped in an easier cache. I usually feel responsible for a coin or a TB until the next person picks it up.

Unfortunately that only works once. and when the next person picks it up, its usually dropped in an easier cache. I usually feel responsible for a coin or a TB until the next person picks it up.

I rarely remove anything from a cache unless it is a tb or a gc. I take their journey's very seriously and never leave them in a cache which might be dangerous for them no matter how appropriate it might have seemed to their goal. Therefore, someone may think I will not be setting their trackable free in a timely manner but I want it to be safe and headed in the right direction when I release it.

Is the proper treatment for this type of activity, if you catch one, the same as is promoted in Willy Nelson's song "Whiskey For My Men and Beer For My Horses"? :)

While I am posting does anyone have the URL for Speed Freaks hints solving program?

The proper treatment is to work to recover lost/missing/taken travelers. Research, a few polite emails, and some hope recovers most bugs. If you want to help find missing bugs, instead of just complain about it, come over to the TB forum.

Puzzle caches seem to suffer from this problem less, as the maggots are either too lazy to work out the puzzles or aren't intelligent enough! They get visited less often but the cachers that do visit them are less likely to be the sort to rob the cache.

How about trackables who's mission is to only visit puzzle caches or caches with high D/T ratings? I presume these would move less often but are less likely to go missing.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

I know what a cache maggot is...I was referring to your Willie Nelson song reference...

Here is the URL for the words on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfikaqROBc...feature=related and just search for Willie or Toby Keith to hear it.

Is the proper treatment for this type of activity, if you catch one, the same as is promoted in Willy Nelson's song "Whiskey For My Men and Beer For My Horses"? :rolleyes:

The key is to remove the satisfaction they get from it.

That's hard enough. It gets a lot more complicated if you actually wish to do more than that. Say catch them and have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If I were rich I'd do that just to prove the point. I'm not so I have to go with plan B.

Is the proper treatment for this type of activity, if you catch one, the same as is promoted in Willy Nelson's song "Whiskey For My Men and Beer For My Horses"? :D

That's hard enough. It gets a lot more complicated if you actually wish to do more than that. Say catch them and have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If I were rich I'd do that just to prove the point. I'm not so I have to go with plan B.

What exactly IS the fullest extent of the law in this situation? I mean, when someone abandons something in the forest, and someone else removes it, is that really stealing, or is that CITO?

Is the proper treatment for this type of activity, if you catch one, the same as is promoted in Willy Nelson's song "Whiskey For My Men and Beer For My Horses"? :D

What exactly IS the fullest extent of the law in this situation? I mean, when someone abandons something in the forest, and someone else removes it, is that really stealing, or is that CITO?
Caches are not abandoned. Therefore, your analogy doesn't fit.

If you leave your bicycle somewhere and it isn't there when you return, was it stolen?

Edited by sbell111

...What exactly IS the fullest extent of the law in this situation? I mean, when someone abandons something in the forest, and someone else removes it, is that really stealing, or is that CITO?

If someone abandoned something in the woods the fullest extent of the law is a fine for littering. Fortunately caches are not abandoned and remain personal property. Typically they are not worth enough to be a felony which I think (but I'm not in law enforcement) makes it a misdemeanor.

What exactly IS the fullest extent of the law in this situation?

That depends on what state you live in. In Florida, a theft conviction requires that the state prove the thief intended to deprive a property owner of their property, or some benefit from said property, either by taking it, or refusing to return it. A muggle stumbling upon an ammo box in the woods would likely not have to worry about being prosecuted, so long as they were willing to return the cache to the owner once they received due notification. A cacher who honestly believed that the cache had been abandoned, (however they reached that conclusion), would probably be in the same boat. I would argue that, in this state, a cacher who maliciously and intentionally removed a game piece, had committed theft. Whether I could convince the State Attorney of this remains to be seen.

I have no idea what you are talking about...

I think this guy (see link below) may be the definition of the extreme version of a "CACHE MAGGOT"! Check out all of the trackables and where many of them are located. They are in his unpublished cache called "Just ?^&%@#! People Off". ;)

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....f2-de2440274796 Banned: TheManInStripes

By the way, he has had numerous accounts banned from geocaching.com and I know that he is back again as a sock puppet with zero finds! Banned: TheStripedOne http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ee...a9-696eb641f551 and Banned: akcacheaddickt http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=1929526

Edited by WKRP

That's durn good thwartin' advice RK! ;)

I have just archived my hide :) , Trivium, because it was muggled twice and the TBs and geocoins stolen. :) I think that I met the guy who did it. He was homeless and/or insane and the cache was hidden in a rather isolated area of Central Park. :) I no longer feel good sending people there, nor do I wish to feel responsible for the loss of other's property. So the cache is permanently archived.

But, still- I think that that homeless guy took the goods. I was so mad :D that I even confronted him alone and in the dark last night. :):huh::D:D

Oh, well. I guess this is the risk we all all take in this sport- I mean the loss of caches and TBs and geocoins-not the insanity of confronting crazies.

Thanks for listening.

...What exactly IS the fullest extent of the law in this situation? I mean, when someone abandons something in the forest, and someone else removes it, is that really stealing, or is that CITO?

If someone abandoned something in the woods the fullest extent of the law is a fine for littering. Fortunately caches are not abandoned and remain personal property. Typically they are not worth enough to be a felony which I think (but I'm not in law enforcement) makes it a misdemeanor.

When it comes to "full extent of the law" I think the definition of "abandoned" will be determined by agents of the local law. Even if a cacher considers Tupperware in the woods to still be his or her personal property, it's really up to LEO and/or the local codes when it comes to court-room-style retribution. Trying to classify cache/TB/coin nabbing as either a felony or misdemeanor is somewhat premature.