What type of caches do you ignore?

Kit Fox

Since the the advent of the ignore list, i'm curious as to what type of caches you choose to ignore.

My ignore list includes parking lot caches, housing tract (including apartment complexes) caches, and trashy area hides. I derive zero pleasure from these caches, so I don't bother hunting them.

There are no cache types I ignore. I may choose to not search for one or another but that is based completely on the cache its self and not the type.

I agree that I won't search for ones in trashy areas but that is about the hide and not the type. Most of the hides in apartment complexes (why are they called 'apart'ments if they are jammed together?) will atleast get me to look at them but not many will get enough attention for me to look for them.

Anything by Kit Fox.

Ok, not really. It was gonna get said sooner or later so I figured lets get it out of the way now.

I ignore all the caches by one hider. The thing is I know what they are before I even read the page. One after the other of the exact same thing. Why even get off my chair? Judging by what you have said about your ignore list they'd not be on your find list either.

I don't have anything on my list either and have also found something enjoyable about every cache I've found even if it's just the company I'm with or the fact that I'm outside breathing in fresh air and not working.

I'm not a big fan of multis with more than 2 stages, hiking for miles, or doing anything dangerous so I don't do those caches but I don't have those on ignore; I just don't do them. At some point I may choose to do them or a new one might be published that intrigues me but I'd never know it if I have it on my ignore list.

And I don't even know how to put something on my ignore list anyway so I couldn't if I wanted to.

There are a lot of caches I will ignore, but I don't have any on a list.

I have plenty of time to read the cache pages and see if I want to look for them.

I have drove up to a few areas and decided to drive away without looking, but I can't remember any cache I found I didn't enjoy somewhat. Some have had me walk away saying to myself, well that was fun whats next. Others I have said WOW I loved that one, and I still enjoy thinking about them.

I would have missed some of both if I used an ignore list.

I am retired and if I wasn't out looking for the cache, I would be sitting in front of the TV or computer bored stiff. Even bad caches are better than that. If I was still working, I might be a little more selective. :D:D

Very few, my cachesnob quotient is quite low.

There are a few multis placed for a 1K celebration, back when it took more than a week to find that many that I was involved in hiding. It wouldn't be proper for me to seek and find them, but I don't need to see them in my PQ's either.

And there are a very small number of caches nearby that are placed in locations I prefer to avoid such as a homeless camp latrine. So I've put them on my ignore list too. That particular hider didn't get my hints on some of their other cache pages about the location of their hides. I only put a few on the ignore list, but often pass up looking for others unless I see they have been recently found.

I have one cache on my ignore list. When it was posted it was clear that the cache was very difficult to obtain. No problem there. There was an amazing list of swag, true things of value that anyone would like to have. No problem so far.

Finding it would be a true adventure involving time and lots of travel. Still no problem. Now, when there was, after months, finally an FTF, the cacher was directed to the owners home where he was handed the final. A micro. No mention of the great swag, nothin'. All of that has since disappeared from the cache page. As a rule, I ignore swag, and cache for the pure joy of it, but the massive deterioration of this mess left a very sour taste in my mouth. Ignore list.

Do I ignore puzzles? No

Do I ignore micros? No

Do I ignore parking lots? No

Do I ignore housing additions? No, but I look around a good bit for unfriendly neighbors.

Do I ignore trashy places? Havn't seen very many around here. but no.

Do I ignore dumpsters? What, somebody really puts caches on dumpsters? Eww. Never saw one.

I suppose if I were in a more cache dense area, I could afford to ignore the caches that thrill me less, but I don't so I don't.

hairball

Edited by hairball45

After my smarter half & I sat down and hashed out our preferences, I actually did away with my ignore list altogether. Instead, I run several PQs to maximize my caching pleasure. The main PQ I use excludes micros completely, as well as "not chosen" and "other" as, locally, these are just code words for "micro". Another PQ I run covers just these types.

If I am caching alone, I'll use the first PQ, as hopping from parking lot to parking lot has little appeal to me. If Viv is with me, I'll load both, as she actually prefers the quick & easy finds. In that case, my pleasure is derived from her company, as opposed to the gobs of soggy log film canisters we locate.

My logging style used to follow similar lines. When I am caching solo, and come across a cache utterly devoid of any creativity, I won't bother posting a log on it. My time on this lil' blue marble is limited, and I don't want to waste any of it logging carpy caches. However, in a twist of fate, Viv makes me log all the caches that we find together, including the stinkers. (sigh...) :D

I have had one or two local caches on my ignore list, just on principle regarding the cache titles and descriptions, but that's only happened a couple times.

I'm horrible at Puzzles/Mysteries, but I don't put them on my ignore list, I keep them hanging around just in case I figure things out eventually or get some help.

I'll go to practically any kind of cache, I'm a bit obsessive. When I travel, I try to be more selective, because I may not be in that area again for a while. But I've always tried to go to all the caches close to me locally. I used to be able to keep up fairly well, but a lot of new cachers and caches combined with my deteriorating health, have put me waaay behind. :D:D

We live in a mountainous area (the foothills of the Cascade Mountain Range), and for example, the closest caches to my house are hiking-type caches. I'm just not able to do them anymore physically, but it drives me crazy seeing them on my closest list. I've been putting them on my ignore list so I can only see the caches that I might possibly be able to do. I figure if I ever get better some day I can take those caches off of my ignore list.

I don't use my ignore list at all. And I haven't looked at whatever's "closest" for a long time.

But I effectively ignore huge numbers of caches by simply running a small PQ for whatever place I'm going. If I'm heading to Colt Creek State park, I use some coords from a cache there and PQ for unfound within a few miles. That's it. It'll get me what's there, and not much else, and I drive by all the stuff that's "drive by". Works good for me....

Edited by Isonzo Karst

There is nothing on my ignore list. I do skip caches that don't interest me. If I get there and see that it's in an unappealing area I'll get back in my car without searching, or won't even get out of my car. Unappealing to me includes most parking lots, homeless encampments, residential neighborhoods, guardrails in non-descript places, apartment complexes behind strip malls, litter strewn lots, etc.

I ignore anything placed by Vinny and Sue Team.

Most people are aware of Vinny's association with aliens, but they are woefully ignorant of the real reason behind it. You see, his Psycho Urban Extreme caches are designed to lure in the most adventurous and physically capable specimens for secret alien abductions. I found this out by crosschecking the secret CIA records with the logs of cache finders.

Likewise, Sue's devilishly difficult puzzle caches single out the most intellectual cachers for other experiments. ***

Therefore, as a matter of principle and self-preservation, I do not choose to do these caches. In fact, I moved over a thousand miles away in order to avoid ever accidentally doing one! Do not believe the misinformation spread that I am a utter wimp who couldn't make it to the top of a climbing wall without falling down and going boom. That is a nasty rumor spread by the aliens to discredit me!

*** Of course, since they are on my ignore list, I do not know for sure they are devilishly tricky. I never tried to solve them. Nope. Never.

Why is it that so many seem so adverse to the ignore list? It seem like everyone has caches they will pass up. If the cache page doesn't sound interesting. If I get there and don't like the location because [insert personal dislike here]. I don't hunt anything more/less than X number of stars. For whatever reason you don't want to find a cache it is the perfect reason to put it on your ignore list. That way it can be excluded from your PQs and you won't have to evaluate it again and again and again. Is there some stigma in its use that I just don't see?

I don't use the ignore function. However, I often skip parking lot micros and similar types of caches unless I am with a group who wants to stop for those. I also pass over caches in bad/dangerous areas. If I get to a location and don't care for it, I leave. I don't mind passing up caches, but I don't feel the need to mark any to ignore either.

In my pocket queries, I exclude mystery/unknown caches and event caches.

My ignore list was empty for the longest time. It now includes (1) caches with a "geocaching agenda" of poking at other geocachers or styles of geocaching, and (2) all the caches in one well-known power trail, whose owner deleted the finds logged by a geocacher whom I hold in high regard as a person of integrity.

Caches are just containers with paper in them. I can find something good in finding just about any one of them. It is the stuff overlaid upon the containers -- puzzles I can't do, agendas that aren't fun -- that makes me skip a container.

Since the the advent of the ignore list, i'm curious as to what type of caches you choose to ignore.

My ignore list includes parking lot caches, housing tract (including apartment complexes) caches, and trashy area hides. I derive zero pleasure from these caches, so I don't bother hunting them.

I've got butt-loads of caches on my ignore list. Any cache I don't want to do goes on it. All caches by a certain cachers who blatantly missuses some of the posting features of a cache. Any cache that is categorized wrong by size or type. Etc. Etc.

If I don't feel like doing a cache, I don't need it in my PQs, so I ignore it. 516 so far.

516 so far.
WHAT?

You have MORE than 500 caches in your ignore list?

Can this really be true, are you sure?

One of my biggest Geocaching fears is that my ignore list will fill up and I'll be forced to either solve some of those puzzles, find some of those otherwise distasteful caches, or allow my PQs to fill up with garbage.

Yep. I've turned into a PQ, too, just to see if it would. It previews 516. I don't know if it returns 516 as I haven't tried--I don't want them.

I ignore some for a while cause I have no interesting in driving up to one and feeling up a pine tree. But when I finally get tired of them showing up in my PQ's and on the map's I'll take a day and go around and work on just them get them out of the way and off my ignore list. This list is kept private and I don't make comment's like cleaning up the ignore list today, thanks for the cache. I log them just as I would any other cache and I'm the only one that know's if I truely was avoiding it and ignoring the cache. I find in the middle of winter on a very cold day this is a good time to work on those caches. :D

....some seem so set against such a simple tool?

I don't read any responses here as "set against" using ignore lists.

Depending upon how a person caches, using the ignore list may be more trouble than not using it.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ignore feature and I can see how it would be very useful for some. Personally though, I don't feel compelled to use it and it would probably be a waste of time for me. I don't monitor things that often to do so, and when I got out caching I usually target an area for a PQ that is likely to include the kinds of caches that I like (e,g, a big complex of forest preserves or the rural bike trail etc). To the extent I want to skip anything within that, I can tell that from looking over my plans for the day on the map and by looking at descriptions etc.

516 so far.

WHAT?

You have MORE than 500 caches in your ignore list?

Can this really be true, are you sure?

Only about 400 here. This is within a 50 mile radius of my home coords, my notification range. I surf it every month or two or so, and purge the archived ones. It often gets up over 400, but I can usually knock 25 or so off by doing this. Do you do this CR? I mean it's so rare to find someone else who actually uses the ignore list, as outlined by Gof1. :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I’ve never understood the point of the cache ignore list. It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Using the cache ignore list to hide a cache from myself while viewing search results is like walking through a library and pretending a certain book isn’t on the shelf.

I can choose to read the book, or I can choose not to read the book. The book is still right there on the shelf, however, whether or not I pretend it’s not there.

I don't go to the trouble of adding caches to my ignore list, I just make that judgment call before I get out of the truck. But there are plenty of caches I ignore.

I load all caches to my GPS, and generally hunt around where I want to go. I don't like caching in urban areas, micros or not. It's not worth the extra consern of wondering if I'm going to get the cops called on me, if I'm going to look like a terrorist while I hunt, or if I'm just going to have some concerned individual question me. Caching in busy public areas is asking for negative attention towards Geocaching in my opinion and I think it should be avoided.

Not to say there aren't those little places you can put a cache in the city, I've been to them and they are nice, like sitting areas that are rarely used, small parks, and nature trails, all of which I've found right in the middle of urban areas, are not usually crowed with bystanders, and are great spots for a cache, even a micro.

Off topic: The reason I use the ignore list is because there are a lot of caches I don't intend on doing and my GPS has limited space. Why load a cache into the GPS that you don't intend on doing? I leave space for more worthwhile caches. It's the same with my offline database. No need for a cache I don't intend on doing taking up the space. My offline database is my library--no need for a book I'm not going to read.

i like to reserve judgement on a cache until i actually find it, which is too late to ignore it.

i've been to some very nice caches in some surprising areas, so i don't like to rule anything out.

there are caches by certain hiders that i won't go out of my way to do, but if i happen to be nearby i don't mind. hey, it's a find.

Why is it that so many seem so adverse to the ignore list?

I don't see anyone attaching a stigmata to the ignore list. It's just a tool. I used to use it quite a bit, till I figured out PQs. Now, I find, for my caching style, PQs make a better tool. Early on in my caching career, (oft referred to as my hideously naive days), I assumed that all the members of the Riffster Clan liked the same types of caches. My wife & daughter were wonderfully patient with me, for a long time, but eventually they sat me down and explained that being nipple deep in a swamp did not appeal to them. The very caches that I used to put on my ignore list, are the ones they like to hunt.

Why is it that so many seem so adverse to the ignore list?
I'm not adverse to using it, it's just not necessary because there aren't any caches that I'd want to ignore.

It seem like everyone has caches they will pass up.
Nope. So far there hasn't been a cache that I passed up because of the cache, the description, the location, etc. Only lack of time to find it has caused me to pass a cache by. But hopefully I'll have more time another day.

I actually had to go look at my ignore bookmark list to see what I put in there.

There really are some Kitfox caches in there (but you knew that was gonna happen).

In my ignore list :

I have a few really tough puzzle caches that I wasted a lot of time on.

I have a bunch of mountain trail hiking caches that are within 10 miles of my house (over 100 of them).

So I guess I use my ignore list for caches I want to ignore. :)

It gets them off my nearest list.

I ignore most parking lot micros, since I do not like being stealthy. I ignore all caches by a local cacher who doesn't do maintenance. I am hesitant on most micros because the fun for me isn't trying to outwit the CO. If they want their caches hard to find, it's okay, but my ID won't be on their log. My brain works too hard at work, I like to rest it on my day off.

I ignore caches where previous cachers have damaged the surrounding area (pulling bark off trees, breaking branches, tearing down stones, etc.) Those people aren't the ones I want my ID associated with.

I ignore caches where the CO put in the listing to climb fences or do anything I think may be illegal. I know this area well enough to know where most public lands are and I ignore anything that doesn't look like public lands unless the CO mentions specific permission from a landowner.

I ignore any cache that looks like it may raise my blood pressure instead of lowering it.

Edited by ladyleo191

I’ve never understood the point of the cache ignore list. It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Using the cache ignore list to hide a cache from myself while viewing search results is like walking through a library and pretending a certain book isn’t on the shelf.

I can choose to read the book, or I can choose not to read the book. The book is still right there on the shelf, however, whether or not I pretend it’s not there.

I avoid most caches I dislike via GSAK, and Pocket queries. On occasion, new caches pop-up, but when I hunt them, I arrive and realize, they don't appeal to me. I'll add them to my ignore list when I get home.

Once I freed myself from the shackles of having to find every cache within my home radius, geocaching became more fun. My GPS contains 2000 waypoints within a 100 mile radius that I actually want to hunt. I'm not worried about skipping a few here and there.

PUZZLES!!! I can't stand them (well most of them anyways)! Also, I try to avoid electric boxes, birdhouses, sprinkler head caches etc. Won't hide them and won't seek them.

I have far too many puzzles surrounding my home area, a couple of hiders place mainly those.

Unless it is specifically stated on the cache page, how would you know if it is hidden in an electrical box, birdhouse, etc? Do you just walk up, get a sense that it could be there, and abort the mission if you get that feeling?

We usually only invoke "ignore" once we're on the scene and realize it's a "needle in a haystack" hide. No artistry, no thought - just hiding a micro under a rock on a rock slope, or something similarly un-clever, with nothing to distinguish the hide. I have nothing against great camo, but if I'm going to have my wife and kids stand out in the open with me for an hour looking for a cache, we better be impressed with the job at the end of the find, rather than let down by the "oh, it's under the 5,432d rock in the quarry."

Problem is, you can never know this up front. Though we do get a sense of the local hiders after a while who have the knack for hiding, and those who don't.