ipod touch and geocaching applications

themohak

I just got an ipod touch and was wondering which of the applications on itunes works the best-the geocaching one for $9.99 or the igeocacher for $14.99. Is either one of these worth getting for the ipod touch? what exactly would these apps enable me to do on the ipod touch? it seems like they are more geared toward the iphone. thanks for the help.

I just got an ipod touch and was wondering which of the applications on itunes works the best-the geocaching one for $9.99 or the igeocacher for $14.99. Is either one of these worth getting for the ipod touch? what exactly would these apps enable me to do on the ipod touch? it seems like they are more geared toward the iphone. thanks for the help.

I know that the geocache app for 9.99 will only work for the iphone because it needs either the GPS on the 3G iphone or the regular cell phone service on the regular iphone. I would recommend not buying either for an IPod Touch, because it will most likely not work for it.

I use the 9.99 app on my touch and I'm a big fan.

It's very easy to use. Search just like you would on gc.com or let it spit out the closest caches to your location when you have wifi. You can load it up for a cache run by saving a large number of caches and pulling them up whenever you want. On each cache page you get the coords, discription (including type, ratings, and size), hint, and last 5 logs.

A great paperless resource. Well worth the 10 bucks...IMHO

Edited by delphic

It's very easy to use. Search just like you would on gc.com or let it spit out the closest caches to your location when you have wifi. You can load it up for a cache run by saving a large number of caches and pulling them up whenever you want. On each cache page you get the coords, discription (including type, ratings, and size), hint, and last 5 logs.

So am I right in saying that I can view cache pages away from a WI-FI hot spot. How do you do this, just save the cache pages?

So am I right in saying that I can view cache pages away from a WI-FI hot spot. How do you do this, just save the cache pages?

I don't have an IPod Touch so I'm not certain, but from what i know about IPod Touches and the geocaching application is that you cannot use the app on your IPod Touch. When ever i load the application it scans for nearby geocaches (you need a signal for that, i don't know if wifi will work for this, i doubt it though) and there is no way (so far) to save the maps. Plus, even if you have saved the maps and the locations of the geocaches there would be no way of knowing where you were on the map, because the IPod Touch doesnt have that capability. go to this link Here. It says all about the application and what it is compatible with.

Just my opinion...I'd get a cheap PDA off ebay (like an M500). I was caching with my 30GB video ipod, and dropped it and broke it (it was in a nice hard case that should have protected it). I'm still pi$$ed about it.

Just my opinion, though the ipod worked great for the short time i got to use it.