2008 Alaska Coinaments

Ladybug Kids

I had a bit of a hitch in yesterday's mailing plan because the automatic postage machine I was counting on when I got off work was out of order. So, domestic orders received as of Saturday morning I could post using regular stamps shipped on Saturday except for those for which insurance was requested. All international and insured (as well as regular domestic) orders received by tomorrow (Monday) morning will go out in Monday's mail to maximize the likelihood of delivery prior to the holidays.

Domestic shipments have been taking two to four days from Alaska. I haven't heard from any of the international crowd, so we're looking at at least a week for delivery to Canada and overseas.

There are only five bronze coinaments left!

Many thanks to those you have provided positive feedback either privately or in these forums. It's your kind words that keep me going.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

The final bronze coinaments sold earlier this afternoon and will ship tomorrow morning, so that's a wrap on this project.

Many thanks to all who supported the project through your purchases and positive comments! All (meager) net proceeds will be plowed back into GeocacheAlaska! which is now pursuing IRS nonprofit status.

I know these coins are different from the current "mainstream." They cost more because of the initial die costs (the highly detailed dies cost $1000 each...the main reason each new edition only has one new side), the proof or proof quality solid metal minting (they are produced manually, one at a time), and because they are produced right here in Anchorage, Alaska.

I'll keep working with the mint to produce them as long as people keep supporting the effort, though each edition gets more challenging than the last to break even on because the fixed and metals costs keep climbing while the quantity sold decreases as cachers get more selective about how many of which coin they purchase.

Enjoy your coinaments and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Warmest Regards,

Mike (Ladybug Kids)

Some fun facts:

Excluding the coins sold at the Geofest in Anchorage, 126 orders were sent to 28 states and 9 countries on three different continents.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

got mine yesterday...thanks! Will the Christmas treee police come for me if I place it on a chanukah bush?

They shouldn't bother you a bit..."Season's Greetings" was intentionally chosen to make the coinaments appealing to all denominations. :D

But, now that I look at my original subheading's use of "tree..." ;)

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Mine arrived a while ago, I'm guessing it was one of the first shipments.

I try my hardest to resist coins, in fact i rarely visit Groundspeak forums anymore, but I do visit the alaska forums from time to time and I HAD to get these.

My precious metal collection, both silver and silver w/gold relief of all years produced so far. plus these coinaments.

...I'll keep working with the mint to produce them as long as people keep supporting the effort, though each edition gets more challenging than the last to break even on because the fixed and metals costs keep climbing while the quantity sold decreases as cachers get more selective about how many of which coin they purchase...

You can always count on me to buy them. They are the jewels of my collection (including the bronze ones) because they are so intricate and beautiful, and I just love the animals, and the work that has gone into them. Thanks Mike for all your efforts!! Much appreciated!

PS I haven't recieved mine yet, but the huskies have a long way to go, and the snow must be pretty deep :(

Whew! I was beginning to worry that my delivery huskies had fallen into company with a pack of dingoes. It took that package fifteen days to go from Anchorage to you. I hope the other Austrailian packages arrive today (er, arrived yesterday) as well. Thanks for the post. Merry Christmas to the Land of Oz!

Edited by Ladybug Kids