GPS as antenna for laptop?

mvigor

I have an XP laptop that I could take on the road.

Can I use either of my existing GPSrs as an antenna to get a full laptop screen tracking where I am along with nearby caches?

I have a Nuvi 200 for the car and a yellow ETrex handheld. Can one of these be used to feed information to the laptop?

What program or web site do you use on the computer to do this? I can be online with my Palm Treo phone if need be, but it's a slow connection.

To use the Etrex you'll need a serial cable and maybe a USB-serial connector (depending on what connections your laptop has). As PDOP's said, you can use Garmin's NRoute to use Garmin map products. Microsoft's Streets and Trips will also work with GPS attached. I dunno whether you can use the Nuvi - I'm not familiar with them.

I downloaded the nRoute program. Thanks for the link!

The Nuvi wouldn't show up in the USB list, but the eTrex did. I think I need to buy a Map DVD next. Looks very nice so far!

If you're only going to be using the maps for laptop navigation, try DeLorme's Street Atlas. Much cheaper than the Garmin Maps, plus it does things Garmin maps can't do (draw your own roads, for example).

I have an XP laptop that I could take on the road.

Can I use either of my existing GPSrs as an antenna to get a full laptop screen tracking where I am along with nearby caches?

I have a Nuvi 200 for the car and a yellow ETrex handheld. Can one of these be used to feed information to the laptop?

What program or web site do you use on the computer to do this? I can be online with my Palm Treo phone if need be, but it's a slow connection.

I use one of theose yellow eTrex units for this with Google Earth. I posted something about it a while back: POST

Edited by coggins

I downloaded the nRoute program. Thanks for the link!

The Nuvi wouldn't show up in the USB list, but the eTrex did. I think I need to buy a Map DVD next. Looks very nice so far!

I don't think nRoute will work with a nuvi because a nuvi always goes into USB Mass Storage mode (not navigation mode) when connected to a PC.

To use nRoute with City Navigator maps, the maps have to be unlocked for the specific GPSr, which might not make sense for a non-map unit. Note that TOPO maps or Ibycus maps are not locked, but also do not do road specific routing (just straight lines as the crow flies). If you do get TOPO maps, they can be put on a memory card in the nuvi (to see them uncheck City Nav maps in Map Info).

Google Earth is a good idea, but to use it mobile, you would need a cell phone data device or nearby WiFi.

I use a yellow Etrex connected to our laptop when traveling. I normally use MS Streets & Trips on the laptop but sometimes will use DeLorme Street Atlas. Just connect the Etrex to the laptop (I have to use a serial to USB cable), open the mapping program you want to use, then there's a button on both S&T and SA that synchs to your GPS. It will then show your location on the map, does the routing, and will give you voice directions.