Geocoin 2008 Awards

PLnauta

Hello

I've seen during this last year lots and lots of wonderful geocoins (some of them are shining in my collection) and i start wandering why shouldn't we state which ones we do think are the best.

I was thinking on something that would work like this:

1. Create categories;

2. Each geocacher/collector contributes with one nominee to each category (make decisions it's hard i know);

3. Open polls for each category;

This would give to the geocoins that we share some extra value, and would also be of great value for those drawing and producing geocoins. One of those great designers could create an icon to go in the personall web pages, vendor sites, etc, a kind of quality award.

I have a proposal for some categories:

1. Best personall geocoin

(geocoins that present the name of a geocacher, team, or geocoin collector on it);

2. Best event geocoin

(geocoins produced for an event)

3. Best nature awareness geocoin

(geocoins with nature themes, natural parks, ....

4. Best heritage geocoin

(geocoins depicting human realizations, constructions, ...)

5.1 Best European geocoin

(geocoins born this side of the Atlantic);

5.2 Best Australia/New Zealand geocoin

(geocoins born the other side of the world);

5.3 Best USA/Canada geocoin

(geocoins born that side of the Atlantic);

6. Best Fantastic Themed Geocoin

(faeries, science fiction, Halloween, ....

7. Most innovative geocoin

(geocoin that introduced something unusual or new technique ...);

8. Best "suncatcher" geocoin;

9. Best micro geocoin

10. Best Geocaching Organization geocoin

11. Best Charity/Fundraising geocoin

12. Best use of glow geocoin

13. Best use of glitter geocoin

14. Best secret geocoin

20. Best geocoin vendor

(time to give them a stamp to proudly use at their web site during one year)

What do you think ? Am i crazy :laughing::D ?

PL

edited to add DresselDragon, Cheesy Pigs categories <_<

Edited by PLnauta

We actually toyed with doing something like this at GCF. Some of the other categories we came up with were: best geocaching organization geocoin; best charity/fundraising geocoin; best use of glow on a geocoin, and best use of glitter on a geocoin. Those are the only ones that I remember that you do not already have listed.

Have you considered how you would accept nominations and handle the voting?

I think that is an awesome idea.

I will have to think about my nominees ... Hmmmmm

Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Thank you.

I think this would be fun also. And we will have to take a good look at our collections trying to see exactly what did seem to be important when we bought that particular geocoin.

We actually toyed with doing something like this at GCF. Some of the other categories we came up with were: best geocaching organization geocoin; best charity/fundraising geocoin; best use of glow on a geocoin, and best use of glitter on a geocoin. Those are the only ones that I remember that you do not already have listed.

Have you considered how you would accept nominations and handle the voting?

Thank you DD, I've add those categories to the initial list.

I think that the best way to receive nominations it's through a post here.

Ex.

PLnauta nominees:

Categorie 1 - geocoin x

categorie 2 - geocoin y

categorie 3 - geocoin x (again - one geocoin could receive an award in different categories)

We could receive the nominations until last day of december, and I'll (or maybe we could have some of us responsible for some categories) do a post/poll for each categorie for voting until ?.

What do you think? If you had allready tought on this you're welcome to share :laughing:

pl

I know this was done in 2005.

Some folks felt there was some regionalism that came into play with the votes, but I really enjoyed the photos of coins I had missed seeing.

And at best, this is for the community to "ooo" and "aaaah" and maybe some bragging rights, too, I s'posse.

It's being done here... http://geocoins.info/academy/index.html

<_<:laughing:

Nice, very nice :D

Now i feel a little shamed to bring up something that was being done, but i think that this academy wasn't discussed here (did i miss anything - if i did i'm sorry). Why?

Nevertheless i do like what i read and i do think that you're doing a great work. There will be issues with fees and with the academy board power to decide also.

But i think that without some rules along the way, this could became quite hard to manage.

Paulo

Oh, now you're just showing off :D I was wondering how long it would take someone to link this thread to the Academy.

TMA

:laughing: I thought there was a thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it yet... *digging*

Nope, it's all been done in the background via email. No thread that I know of. I got the feeling it was sorta in the "working" stage and not ready for announcement. But I could be wrong. Anyway, I know I submitted my latest required info, so hopefully you have too Chris <_<

TMA

"The public can suggest coins too via the Academy board who will then decide whether or not to accept coins for the longlist (needs at least 3 of 5 votes by the board members)."

You have to pay to get on the list and than your coin may not even make the list depending on the subjective viewpoint of the "board members"? Wow, talk about power.

PLnauta, I think your awards invites everyone to participate and have their coin voted on. You should continue to pursue this.

Edited by LadeBear68

You have to pay to get on the list and than your coin may not even make the list depending on the subjective viewpoint of the "board members"? Wow, talk about power.

PLnauta, I think your awards invites everyone to participate and have their coin voted on. You should continue to pursue this.

I think they're both good, but the Academy is being quoted a bit out of context. Here are the actual requirements. I think the majority vote needed by the board is only to have an approval process for coins that may be inappropriate or non-qualifying.

"Following stuff has to be entered:

— Very good color pictures of front and back, each 350 x 350 pixels, rgb, high quality jpg.

— One coin (will not be returned, but eventually released into a cache or raffled away to the public voters) or us$ 5.00.*

— Filled out form stating coin name, description, number of variations (editions), original price per coin, number minted (if available), release date, designer, producing coin company, 32x32 and 16x16 pixel icons, permission to depict the artwork on the Geocoin Academy website.

* free or without sending coin for suggestions from the Academy members."

Coins sent in will be released into caches in the end. I imagine the fee is to help procure a coin that is nominated, but I don't know that for certain. If anyone has more knowledge about this, please provide more input. :laughing:

Back OT... would we have a best "Mystery" coin category?

"The public can suggest coins too via the Academy board who will then decide whether or not to accept coins for the longlist (needs at least 3 of 5 votes by the board members)."

Agreed

Actually, I really like the concepts and ideas of the Geocoin Academy, and was honored to have been asked to join it. From what I've seen, it's a nice roster of impartial and enthusiastic geocoiners with varying experience and backgrounds.

To truly get an accurate reflection of "The Best Of", you absolutely must have controlled impartiality. Let's be honest here, forum "voting" here can be extremely biased based on friends and partnerships. In the past, we've seen some real popularity contests come out of this, and all too often, some quality work is looked over.

Besides, if history has showed us all anything, a vendor can orchestrate popularity by having their "associates" hype their products. In some cases, this has left forum folk lighter in the pocketbook with no product to show for it.

When I see a geocoin that's exceptional in theme, quality or cleverness...I don't hesitate to praise it...no matter who made it. I wouldn't have joined the Geocoin Academy if I didn't feel the others thought the way I did, and I won't hesitate to leave it if I felt the best interests of the geocoin community weren't being served.

Give it a chance. I think we'll see some real insightful and positive opinions come out of it.

I wasn't sure I even wanted to open this thread and now I wish I hadn't.

Giving myself a few days before I say much but I can say this, I have a feeling there are going to be some hurt feelings surrounding both this thread and "The Academy" (which I didn't even know existed).

I suppose at least the thread here allows everyone a voice versus the other option.

I better stop ...

Giving myself a few days before I say much but I can say this, I have a feeling there are going to be some hurt feelings surrounding both this thread and "The Academy" (which I didn't even know existed).

I suppose at least the thread here allows everyone a voice versus the other option.

I better stop ...

I agree with this statement. As stated in some of the other posts some of these contest become a popularity contest.

As for the academy while it looks good on paper I think the problem will be if say Vendor ABC is a member of the academy and their coin wins while Vendor 123 isn't on the academy and their coin doesn't win. Then the rumours will start to fly.

Maybe coins should just continue to be enjoyed and not put up for competitions. I guess I just don't see a 'fair' way to do it.

If it's done here it won't include people that don't visit the forums. If it's done by the Academy then it is subject to their votes on what to include and what not to include.

I think this is like trying to judge art. As an example I don't get abstract art at all, however because I don't get it doesn't mean that it isn't artistic.

I prefer the way this has been done in the past. If you like a particular coin just come in and post on why you like coin ABC so much and what it means to you.

I better stop ...

Thank you for putting it out there, Steph... I didn't know it existed, either, and it seems like just another clique, if you ask me... I guess I just dashed my chances of being nominated, lol!

Naomi

I think this is like trying to judge art. As an example I don't get abstract art at all, however because I don't get it doesn't mean that it isn't artistic.

Well I agree to this statement. It´s art.

But just because it is art does not mean u can not judge it or put it into categories. Everywhere art gets judged, everyday...

If there are certain criteria that will be applied to every coin, one coin will meet them better than anotherone, what´s wrong with that?

One thing I think is a must though: If a designer does not want their coin to be judged they should be able to say so and it should not happen.

Why not have a popularity vote also? Sure one coin will be more popular than others, but that does not mean much, I think some people make their coins just because they want it to be done and be happy about it.

It will just show what kind of design or technique is liked best by the majority. That way designers would know if they wanna make a coin just to be able to make money they would have to think that directon, if they wanna make a coin just because of their feelings towards a topic they can still do so...

Just my two cents, I hope they make sense to you guys...

All in all, I think it is a great idea and does not hurt no one if it is done the right way...

Never heard of the Academy either...

but I have to agree that a lot of feelings could be bruised. The coins are wonderful enough as is, just to enjoy on there on merits without classifiing or ranking them. I have a lot of coins that I really love for various reasons and I wouldn't want to submit any of them into a boxy rating system but I will say this:

Some coins are really well done artistically speaking but completely superficial in terms of content while some other coins are loaded with meaningful content, but poorly designed and executed. :D

My favorites are the ones that look good and have good content. <_<

There is one coin (from the early days) that always jumps into my mind when I think of a well done coin... in fact, it is often the standard by which I measure other coins. Everything about it is really well thought out, both content and design wise. Its only draw back is its very small tracking number, which is difficult to read, even with a magnifying glass. :laughing:

... And I wouldn't necessarily even call it my favorite; there so many really well done coins in my collection and I would have a tuff time choosing any one of them over another. I'd rather just enjoy them all... each on its on merit. <_<

I think this turns into how can those individuals on the panel judge a coin and why were they selected over other individuals. I see several individuals just in the past five to six posts that I respect and would have no problem judging a coin but aren't on the Academy. I have my personal opinions about the Academy's choices which I won't post because Scavok told me to play nice. I will, however, say that I feel saddened by some of the selections. You promote the Academy because you are on it. Now don't start thinking I have sour grapes because I don't. I would not want to be on this academy as I do not have the experience, knowledge or impartiality. Don't you feel some people who have been here longer and have more knowledge and experience are going to be upset or disappointed by not being selected to be on such a committee or having their coins selected when the Academy is up and running?

The forums are made up of numerous people who have different tastes, styles, preferences and that is what makes up the community as a whole. I would rather have all the people judge a coin than allow a select few to determine if a coin is worthy of being voted on. I guess the Academy can have their choices and the forums can have theirs.

What a shame, folks. Really. Opinions are one thing, but why the severe negativism against something that hasn't even got off the ground yet? That's really disappointing.

But hey, take a step back and ask yourself something...Do ya still think that voting would be any more civilized? Hmmm? Or is this what the forums have evolved into...pointed fear of the unknown or of being left out of the loop.

From what I've seen, there is no loop. The whole Academy concept was started by a collector who seems to be exactly like yourselves...enthusiastic about the exact same stuff we all collect. They seem to want to contribute something positive to geocoin collectors, and they probably need a few tweaks before it functions right. Anything wrong with that? Or better yet...is that so wrong that it should be shot to hell before it even starts? Seriously...lots of people come here to ask opinions...maybe he wasn't ready to roll it out just yet?

But man...if you look at this thread as a microcosm of "forum issues", it kinda proves that it's impossible to introduce something new to the public without that jaded negativism and disgruntled comments. That's become a disturbing norm here nowadays. Consider that this is all over something that wasn't announced or "okayed" with everyone first, and you have a real deterrent to creativity. Shame for that.

For those of you who are fearful of "who" is involved, I can't answer that because it's not my project. I was asked to lend my opinion, and I tend to think it's because I'm pretty fair at that. Maybe some won't agree. All I can do is shrug and apologize. But I can tell you that I'm getting absolutely nothing out of it. Again, from what I've seen, it's not a clique or a star chamber. Heck, I don't even know half the people involved, and it's certainly not for me to promote or discuss it here.

But I'll sure as heck defend this person's right to try something new...just as much as I'll defend YOUR right to try something new.

It's really easy for individuals to tear down something they don't think will benefit them. Yet if we instead offer something positive...perhaps something worthwhile gets built for everyone to enjoy? I think that's what this Academy thing is all about.

Take a minute to consider that before adding angst to the forums?

What a shame, folks. Really. Opinions are one thing, but why the severe negativism against something that hasn't even got off the ground yet? That's really disappointing.

But hey, take a step back and ask yourself something...Do ya still think that voting would be any more civilized? Hmmm? Or is this what the forums have evolved into...pointed fear of the unknown or of being left out of the loop.

From what I've seen, there is no loop. The whole Academy concept was started by a collector who seems to be exactly like yourselves...enthusiastic about the exact same stuff we all collect. They seem to want to contribute something positive to geocoin collectors, and they probably need a few tweaks before it functions right. Anything wrong with that? Or better yet...is that so wrong that it should be shot to hell before it even starts? Seriously...lots of people come here to ask opinions...maybe he wasn't ready to roll it out just yet?

But man...if you look at this thread as a microcosm of "forum issues", it kinda proves that it's impossible to introduce something new to the public without that jaded negativism and disgruntled comments. That's become a disturbing norm here nowadays. Consider that this is all over something that wasn't announced or "okayed" with everyone first, and you have a real deterrent to creativity. Shame for that.

For those of you who are fearful of "who" is involved, I can't answer that because it's not my project. I was asked to lend my opinion, and I tend to think it's because I'm pretty fair at that. Maybe some won't agree. All I can do is shrug and apologize. But I can tell you that I'm getting absolutely nothing out of it. Again, from what I've seen, it's not a clique or a star chamber. Heck, I don't even know half the people involved, and it's certainly not for me to promote or discuss it here.

But I'll sure as heck defend this person's right to try something new...just as much as I'll defend YOUR right to try something new.

It's really easy for individuals to tear down something they don't think will benefit them. Yet if we instead offer something positive...perhaps something worthwhile gets built for everyone to enjoy? I think that's what this Academy thing is all about.

Take a minute to consider that before adding angst to the forums?

I think it is a great idea. The only problem I have with the Academy is that I don't think vendors should be in the academy. The two vendors involved have done really cool coins this year. I would hope their coins are considered, but I think there is an obvious conflict. I also think coin designers should not be members, and for the same reason.

Since this is PLnauta's thread, perhaps it should get back to his/her questions instead of talking about the Academy and the Academy can open it's own thread especially if the creator of the Academy hasn't agreed that it should have been disclosed and it isn't ready to be disclosed?

Edited by LadeBear68

I think it is a great idea. The only problem I have with the Academy is that I don't think vendors should be in the academy. The two vendors involved have done really cool coins this year. I would hope their coins are considered, but I think there is an obvious conflict. I also think coin designers should not be members, and for the same reason.

For this thread or any thread a simple solution would be that people couldn't judge work from their own affiliations (whatever they might be). I participate in the actual emmy awards for broadcast television and this is how it's actually done for impartiality. :laughing:

WOW :laughing:

Since i started all this let me tell you that i found the idea of the academy a great initiative and a really well done. It may look even better if, some how, the participation of the community became more evident.

I don't know what to say.

I have lots of nice piece of art at home, great work indeed and i want to share it. I can do that without the classification as "the best", but that is also of great value for those who collect these items. If at the end of the process i'm able to say that the list of awards includes several geocoins, these would stay as models (in positive terms) for others. Positive actions are so valuable that shouldn't be trow away if they pose several other difficulties.

I know that the board would be a problem whoever be on that board, that the fees would be a problem, etc, etc, etc... but i do feel that such Awards would be great for all of us. Maybe the board could rotate every year; maybe the board will judge only coins where they aren't involved with; maybe the importance of the geocachers/collectors vote could be increased; ...

I do like the easy way too.

Just as i said in the very first post. We all have our preferred geocoins, for very personal reasons. You can nominate any one in any category (that's precisely one of the major concerns with the academy, that would disappear if every coin nominated will enter the contest).

I don't care with negative opinions. When we have a new geocoin on the loose, we have an option to buy it or trade it. Same here.

We can state which ones are our best geocoins of the year, or not. That is so simple. It can be the best just because it's mine. What's the problem with that :D ?

I just want to have fun with your choices;

I just want to give some extra credit to those who draw and produce geocoins;

I just want to know more on some geocoins i didn't gave the right look;

etc, etc...

PL

When I mentioned never having heard of the Academy, that's all I meant. Now, thanks to this thread, I heard of the Geocoin Academy for the first time... today. <_<

As far as polling for the best coins out there... I'm impartial but I'd have a hard time choosing, especially since I haven't seen them all (and there are a lot to choose from). I assume the awards are just for all the coins of 2008 and not going back as far as 2002/2003. :laughing:

I'm certainly up for a good survey (pole or election) but I know that I'm not familiar with all the coins out there and I would want to be (if not personally owned by me, at least previously moved, held, or at least seen and read about). <_<

If the Geocoin Academy does narrow down the field to a group of five or so nominees for each catagory and provide a write up (or link) for each nominee so that everyone taking part in the voting process can be well informed, well then... why not? :D

In any case, if there ends up being anyone out there who feels that some coins did not receive equal representation, well they can weigh the value of the outcome of the 2008 Geocoin Awards accordingly. It's all in fun anyway, right? :unsure:

I think that the Geocoin Academy consists of a good group of individuals who are putting their "volunteer time" into it, and I can't see anything bad coming out of it. I just started collecting geocoins, and I absolutely love them. Of course I have my favorites, but they will be different from what others deem their favorites. It would be cool to see what comes out of it. Kudo's to all of you!

PL Nauta -- Same goes .. I think it is a really cool idea.

Gee, with all the coins I buy and see on Ebay -- I wonder if the prices will go up because that coin won "Best Performing Geocoin" or something!! HA... It would definitly be bragging rights for those coins!!

Great job to all who put their extra time into this!! :laughing:

Heidi

I better stop ...

Thank you for putting it out there, Steph... I didn't know it existed, either, and it seems like just another clique, if you ask me... I guess I just dashed my chances of being nominated, lol!

Naomi

I was thinking the same thing but was holding my tongue. I never heard ot this "Academy". I never saw a thread about it. I never received an e-mail about it. The idea of "hey send us one of your coins and we'll consider putting you in for a prize. Of course you don't know who we are as we hide behind "The Academy" and promise we are not keeping the coins sent to us or using them for our gain." (Yes, I am aware that you don't have to send a coin.)

Whatever. I don't trust half the people I know so I definately don't trust a group of people I don't know under a group name. Just my opinion.

PLnauta... I like your idea. You have plenty of categories for different kinds of geocoins and ANYBODY can vote. Run with it.

I think the idea of vendors and artist's judging what is produced seems appropriate, provided as many vendors and artists can be procured in the process as possible.

It seems also too that at some point in the process the consumer or collector should also be involved. While a coin may be well done and ingenious in its inception, it needs to translate to consumer likability after all the consumer is king and has the final say on whether a coin is popular or not.

Just another thought from the darkness in my mind, a category that should be considered would be the best caching coin and I mean a coin purchased only for releasing into the wild, the non collectible yet well represented in a cache near you coin for the masses.

Any how I like the idea! seems exciting and I don't care how it is done, it may proove to be some fun reading!

...but for the life of me, no matter how many times I revise, edit, delete, rewrite, etc., I never can get my posts to sound like I have a freakin clue..

TMA

:laughing::D<_<<_<:unsure::unsure::blink:

Yeah PLnauta - run your 2008 Geocoin Awards, I think it would be fun. I'd love to see what coins would come out for the different categories.

How about adding a couple more categories? You have Europe - what about USA/Canada, Australia/New Zealand, etc?

Anyway I will shut up, you dont want this to get too big to handle :lol:

I think there's something else like the Geocoin Academy out there too... we were asked to be on the board of something like this a while ago by someone... I can't recall who. We declined due to our pre-existing time commitments. Basically our time is over-committed already :laughing: !

I must say I like PLnauta's idea because it's all encompassing; it's not just coin vendors/producers that submit a coin or pay to enter. Would Landsharkz have known about the Academy 'awards' if this thread hadn't pointed us in the direction? Or maybe we weren't going to be invited to enter anyways :D . With due respect to our esteemed colleagues and friends - it seems like the GA won't have the full spectrum of 2008 coins for the competition - for starts, they're not going to have any of our 70-75 coins that we designed and produced in 2008 because I don't want to pay entry fees and because sometimes we may only have 1 coin left of that series and we're not about to give it away.

Ok, back to work, we've got coins to design <_< .

Edited by Landsharkz

...But hey, take a step back and ask yourself something...Do ya still think that voting would be any more civilized? Hmmm? Or is this what the forums have evolved into...pointed fear of the unknown or of being left out of the loop...

1 - How can vendors be on the academy? If a vendor's coin is nominated does the vendor then remove him/herself from the round table discussion?

2 - Mr Yime, you are a fantastic designer ! Are you prepared to wait 20 years until you produce a Schindler's List geocoin before you win? Sound ridiculous? Well that is what springs into my mind when I hear the word Academy. Sounds like the Academy Awards. Maybe some of you are not aware, but outside of the USA they are treated as a JOKE. We watch the Academy Awards for fun but we watch the BAFTA's to see what films actually were the best. Have an Academy by all means but please don't automatically assume anyone outside the USA will grant the idea respect.

3- Its nothing personal ! Having a vibrant debate about the form voting should take should be welcomed with open arms. For goodness sakes, you are talking about the geocoin equivalent of a CONSTITUTION. What you are proposing with an Academy is a system based on a PARTY COMMITEE system like they have in China ! Good grief, you have just had a historic election. Do you think you would have OBAMA if you had an Academy? Who doesn't get this? Your founding fathers would turn over in the grave if they heard you :0)

4 - When PLnauta started this thread it was about nominating categories for a DEMOCRATIC vote. 1 person, 1 vote (with the ability to nominate a coin in several categories). That was the topic of the thread wasn't it ?

...but for the life of me, no matter how many times I revise, edit, delete, rewrite, etc., I never can get my posts to sound like I have a freakin clue..

TMA

:laughing::D<_<<_<:unsure::unsure::blink:

Yeah PLnauta - run your 2008 Geocoin Awards, I think it would be fun. I'd love to see what coins would come out for the different categories.

How about adding a couple more categories? You have Europe - what about USA/Canada, Australia/New Zealand, etc?

Anyway I will shut up, you dont want this to get too big to handle :o

I knew you came up with those new categories :lol: at least the last one :( consider it done !

As a new coincollector I thought it was an honour to be asked and an opportunity to seek info about many of those nice coins out there. After reading this thread though it doesn´t seem all that fun anymore, since the "older and more experienced" obviously have taken offence not beeing asked before the "rookies".

I still think the 2008 award should be running as PLnauta suggested.

grodan Karin

As a new coincollector I thought it was an honour to be asked and an opportunity to seek info about many of those nice coins out there. After reading this thread though it doesn´t seem all that fun anymore, since the "older and more experienced" obviously have taken offence not beeing asked before the "rookies".

I still think the 2008 award should be running as PLnauta suggested.

grodan Karin

I don't think it has much to do with who has been around longer or who has more experience but to how this was a secret to the majority and the way it appears to be set up. Having coin vendors, designers and producers judge the best coins for the year or who will be added to the list to be judged just doesn't sound impartial. I'm not saying that any one involved was trying to promote their own cause but when something like this is proposed and then kept secret and exclusive it doesn't exactly promote trust.

The Academy comes off as very much a clique to me. Especially considering the way you are selected to be a member.

No offense meant to you. It is always nice to be invited and made to feel like you belong but sometimes being a part of a group, well, it just isn't what you thought it was going to be.