I got my E-bay Palm Zire 31 PDA in the mail today.

CachinSpree

I got my E-bay Palm Zire 31 PDA in the mail today. I know nothing about them. From reading other post, the best two programs to buy appear to be GSAK and Cachemate. Is this correct? What else do I need? I am a premiun member and would like to know how the PQ's work and how to download them to my computer and then to my PDA. Any help or information will greatly appreciated. Thanks - CachinSpree

The Cachemate pages have instructions for how to load PQs into Cachemate.

GeocachingU has a great tutorial too, if you use Plucker and SPinner. I printed it out and followed it step by step back when I used those programs (I use Cachemate now).

Miragee has a nice tutorial on GSAK and Palms.

The podcacher page has great links....including this one from the Georgia Geocachers Association on Cachemate.

Florida Geocaching Association on paperless caching

I got my E-bay Palm Zire 31 PDA in the mail today. I know nothing about them. From reading other post, the best two programs to buy appear to be GSAK and Cachemate. Is this correct? What else do I need? I am a premiun member and would like to know how the PQ's work and how to download them to my computer and then to my PDA. Any help or information will greatly appreciated. Thanks - CachinSpree

I LOVE paperless caching with GSAK and Cachemate! It's pretty simple to set them up.... and inexpensive, too. I have some information on my blog about this very thing! Please check it out!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

Contrary to what I read frequently, you don't need GSAK for paperless caching. All you need is Cachemate (or a similar app).

GSAK is great for managing waypoints for your GPS but really has limited usefulness for paperless caching. Cachemate comes with an app called CMConvert that you can use to load the pages to your PDA.

I'm not saying don't get GSAK. It's a great application with some outstanding features, but it's not a necessity for paperless caching.

Even with CacheMate, GSAK is handy for massaging caches for your GPSr.

When first I tried combining PQ caches and parking with EasyGPS and loaded into my nuvi as favorites, they had GC ID name, but totally blank comment. When I converted them to POI's instead, all the POI's (except parking) had the name "POI" and no reference to the GC ID. Someone came up with a GSAK macro that puts complete info on the nuvi as Tour Guide, so it can alert you to a cache nearby when driving around. Works great.

When I tried to load PQ caches into Mapsource, their names ended up sequential numbers 1, 2, 3... GSAK can export to a Mapsource file and that worked.

Somehow I originally loaded PQ into my eTrex as POI's (or maybe as favorites) and it worked fine with GC ID for name and the cache title for comment. But the next time I tried it, they all ended up named "POI" like on the nuvi. I found a 60CSx GSAK macro that worked pruned to minimal info, but had to go one version back because the latest macro version was for GSAK 7.5beta.

So sometimes different models of the same brand of GPSr handle the same gpx file fields differently and need adjustment.