etrex venture hc not starting up

vbpad

so after i was finished geocaching at noon today i shut down my gps and after i get home i hook it up to download tracks i turn it on it gets to the welcome screen and shuts down it happens every time i start it up now anybody else have this issue?

Weak batteries?

If not, check battery contacts. See if having USB connected works. If all else fails, try a hard reset - google for the key sequence (I don't have it in my bookmarks in this machine).

I was having a problem similar to this the last time I was out caching. The battery indicator was still showing two bars, but when I tried to adjust the backlight so I could see the screen better, the unit would shut off. Finally figured out that the extra voltage needed to power the backlight must have been too much for the weak batteries.

Replaced them with fresh ones and solved the problem.

Just noticed the original post said after you had hooked it up - if it's connected to your computer, batteries should not be an issue.

Edited by WVRadar

Hi everyone, I had this same problem, but I tried literally everything and FINALLY I FOUND A FIX. It is kind of tricky but it worked for me, even though I had all of the same problems that everyone else on this post!

First of all, if you don't have the Garmin USB drivers installed, download that here from Garmin and install it:

-> http://www8.garmin.com/software/USBDrivers_23.exe

Then download the latest firmware updater for the Venture HC, the link from Garmin is here:

-> http://www.garmin.com/software/eTrexVentureHC_330.exe

When you open the updater, select to extract it somewhere you can find it (desktop is easiest), then click extract. Close the extractor, then find the file named "Updater" in the folder you extracted to, and run it. Select "USB Device" and then plug your GPS into the computer with your USB cable. (Nothing should happen yet, so don't worry if nothing happens).

This is the tricky part. You have to hold down three buttons: the one on the right side at the top, the button on the front face, and finally the power button. Make sure you are holding down the first two buttons before you hold the power button. KEEP HOLDING DOWN ALL THREE BUTTONS. While ensuring the all three buttons are still held down, look at your computer screen until your GPS appears in the box next to the words "USB Device". Also, on your GPS screen should say something like "Do you really want to reset your device" (or something like that, can't remember exactly what is said).

CONTINUE HOLDING DOWN ALL THREE BUTTONS. Now click "OK" on your computer. Don't let go of three buttons on your GPS until its screen turns white and says "Loading" (or something like that, once again I can't remember). If that doesn't happen or an error message appears on your computer screen, then try again, you probably messed up somewhere. Also, if at any point, your GPS disappears from the box next to the words "USB Device", that means you let go of one or more of the three buttons you should be holding down on the GPS.

If it does work, you can release the GPS buttons and let the process finish. When it's done, your GPS will turn off. Make sure you have fresh batteries, and then turn the GPS on. If the updating worked then your GPS should turn on again. HURRAY!

Good luck! Let me know if this works for any of you please!

Hi everyone, I had this same problem, but I tried literally everything and FINALLY I FOUND A FIX. It is kind of tricky but it worked for me, even though I had all of the same problems that everyone else on this post!

Thank you thank you thank you. Your solution worked on mine also. My Garmin Etrex died in the field, tried new batteries, Hooking to computer, Leaving batteries out overnight, even attempted hard reset but it wouldnt stay on long enough for that. Just powered up enough for the logo then a flash. Test mode started(toggle pressed in while pressing power button) but shut down as soon as got to bitmap. Your solution worked and was much easier then I thought because your directions were so complete

I'm thrilled that the workaround seemed to have worked for so many of you. Yesterday my Etrex venture hc did the same thing as described here -- we assumed it was batteries and tried four different sets -- the last being fresh out of the box from the store. It dies as soon as it turns on.

It sounds as though the workaround is a great success -- my challenge is that we are a mac family -- and the executable file is for Windows. Anyone have suggestions for how to fix this problem if you are working with a non-Windows set up?

Thanks. We drove to another state yesterday to drop off a travelbug and the unit died! Rotten, unsuccessful day.