Best cache container

I got my brother into caching last year and since I have a bit more experience then him he sometimes calls me for help. There was a cache down near him that many were having trouble finding, he and our mom looked multiple times and were getting no where. Finally they called me for suggestions and after running through a list of possible "evil" hides he finally saw it was a plain electrical box cover just magnetically attached to the store wall.

Later I went caching while visiting my family and went looking for that one. Since I had assisted him via phone in his hunt I knew a bit about what I was looking for. Still it was taking a while and just couldn't find anything odd. Gave up went in the store to look around then started to leave but it was annoying me that I couldn't find it even though I knew what I was looking for. I stopped and stood in the parking lot looking towards the general area I thought it should be. I noticed that a electrical plate near me was a different color than the others (shiny instead of painted over) and said to hubby, "it should be something like, well that right there." At the same time he being electrically minded thought it seemed odd to have two plates as close together as they did so we went and pushed the edge to see if it moved, then we noticed GEO was etched lightly into the cover.

Another in brothers area, he said many had DNF'd it, he had visited multiple times but got no where. I went with him and looked around for a bit, it was a gaurdrail so checking all the normal hides. After a few minutes I touched a bolt in the wood post and it came off in my hand. Turned out there was a hole in the wood post big enough for a film canister and they had attached a bolt top and washer to the lid of the canister. I laughed at my family not finding it for multiple trips and I found it in maybe 5 minutes. :)

I found one that was an actual water spigot handle it was spring loaded and had a log inside it. I looked for that cache for a good part of an hour and the thing is I had my hand on it about 25 times in that hour and my father told me not to mess with it but I finally didn't listen to him and turned it and sure enough it was the cache. This cache is part of the Downtown/Main St. USA: series started by TwoCat (but although it wasn't one that they put out.

All of the above! The St. Louis area has some really evil cachers!

I go to school in the St. Louis area, but I don't think anything can compare to the diversity and sheer number of caches in my home of the DC area (no offense). I'm always on the lookout for good caches in St. Louis, though; do you have any suggestions?

~jmarkowi

FYI, Creve Coeur Lake Park is a cache machine! Mostly containers, a couple of earth caches. We spent part of an afternoon getting 5 of them, and there are about 5 other smaller parks in the area. Hundreds of caches!

Went there for my birthday last year. Want more...

Tough one last weekend in a parking lot. I was expecting a bison tube or at least a magnetic nano on a sign, but hubby was holding the gpsr, and it kept pointing away from the signs to the middle of a row of parking spaces. We kept using twigs and a pen to poke around under the concrete stops at the head of each parking space, and were prepared to give up and log a dnf when some little voice in the back of my mind told me to bend down and check one last concrete stop. One of the pieces of rusted iron rebar holding it in place was fake! Small bison tube was hooked onto the end of the dang thing!

Just for the record, Tommmmm is a sneaky bastige! :blink:

A book....in a library! It was a journal covered to look like a library book and you had to research then go look for it. There is a whole series of these!

I would really like to hear more about this one. And what's the cache called? It sounds amazing.

~jmarkowi

I would really like to know more about this one, too. How did the owner guard against the library removing the "book" from its shelves? My local library audits their inventory every few months. I would imagine the journal would get removed fairly quickly.

I would assume they have permission. I have seen this a couple of times and each time it was done with permisison.

StaticTank

We actually have one of these in our area as well. Look up Silver Dragon Tale in Clarksville, TN. We looked up Geocaching in the computer catalog and it displayed 2 books- Geocaching for Dummies and A Silver Dragon Tale {the name of the cache}. The book was located in the reference section of the library as a fake book where it said please see Reference desk for this book. When you ask the reference desk, they are in on it and have the book log there to sign.

A book....in a library! It was a journal covered to look like a library book and you had to research then go look for it. There is a whole series of these!

I would really like to hear more about this one. And what's the cache called? It sounds amazing.

~jmarkowi

I would really like to know more about this one, too. How did the owner guard against the library removing the "book" from its shelves? My local library audits their inventory every few months. I would imagine the journal would get removed fairly quickly.

I would assume they have permission. I have seen this a couple of times and each time it was done with permisison.

StaticTank

We actually have one of these in our area as well. Look up Silver Dragon Tale in Clarksville, TN. We looked up Geocaching in the computer catalog and it displayed 2 books- Geocaching for Dummies and A Silver Dragon Tale {the name of the cache}. The book was located in the reference section of the library as a fake book where it said please see Reference desk for this book. When you ask the reference desk, they are in on it and have the book log there to sign.

My seventh hide has only been found twice so far, but both of them really liked it. Hmmm.... if I post this, I'll be blowing the hide. Never mind....

Hmmm can't delete this... OK, instead I'll just say that a really ingenious hide is great for the hider and the finder. The finder gets the obvious thrill of the hunt, and the hider gets to sit back and wait for the email copy of the logs. A crappy hide, get's crappy logs. A great hide makes it really fun to watch those logs come in.

So a tip... if you want great finds, reward the cache hider with a good log so they'll try to up the ante and hide another great one.

Edited by WRWhizard

the best I've found yet (but I've only found 14 so far :)) was in a parking lot. There was a small shack to keep bikes dry.

After staring at it for a while, I realised there were 2 drainage pipes in this shack... 2! for a 12ft wide shack... that's a bit much isn't it?

So I checked again and found out that the left one wasn't attached to the roof. There was an entire drainage pipe, connections and curve at the end included, but it was fake!

I juggled the middle piece and it came out, had a plug in it saying "geocache - this side up".

Truely a smart hide, even more so because it's in a parking lot next to the highway and next to an extremely busy crossroad...

there's one that's wicked awesome near me. It's along a bike path that's lined with big rocks that were created when they blasted part of a mountain to put in the highway. Some of these rocks have bore holes still in them. A very clever lady put a bit of PVC pipe into one of the bore holes and capped it off for a cache. It's very difficult to find, because the hole she chose is mostly underneath the rock. If you ask her for a hint, she gives you step by step instructions on how to find it. And many people still DNF it after that.

We've also got bolt caches and fake electrical plate caches. The acorn, pinecone, and apple caches are in the wrong kinds of trees, so they're not so bad.

Mine would be the first nano I ever found.I had never heard of them and the description on the cache just said micro...nothing about it being a nano.It took me about 3-4 tries to finally find it.After that one though,nanos weren't quite as hard to find...knowing what they look like.