Best cache container

how about one i haven't found yet. It's a cache near me, called The Heck With This!! Its a matchbox stuck in the ground with astroturf on top of it. Real evil cache. Been to it 5 times only to DNF it about 3. It's also real muggley, right near a baseball field

Someone copied that in my area. I believe yours may be a copy of the original too. Yep, hard to find, but I did find it after about 45 minutes over three trips. Kinda violates the whole "buried" thing, actually (in my opinion). :laughing:

how about one i haven't found yet. It's a cache near me, called The Heck With This!! Its a matchbox stuck in the ground with astroturf on top of it. Real evil cache. Been to it 5 times only to DNF it about 3. It's also real muggley, right near a baseball field

Someone copied that in my area. I believe yours may be a copy of the original too. Yep, hard to find, but I did find it after about 45 minutes over three trips. Kinda violates the whole "buried" thing, actually (in my opinion). :)

Yep, he says right on the page that he copied the idea

there's also a fake bolt cache up here in my area. also been to it 4 times, to "find" it once, then really finding it when i went back to it with some previous finders

An ammo can. It was hidden behind a rock. The rock was a perfect fit in the natural environment and blended perfectly with the surrounding rocks. Behind the rock was a small enclave.

Almost like walking up to a rock face where you have to stand in one spot when the stars line up, and a moonbeam at exactly midnight during a blue harvest moon, will refelct off the gem in the staff you have set in the nook to highlight the door you seek.

Someone copied that in my area. I believe yours may be a copy of the original too. Yep, hard to find, but I did find it after about 45 minutes over three trips. Kinda violates the whole "buried" thing, actually (in my opinion). :rolleyes:

Yep, he says right on the page that he copied the idea

there's also a fake bolt cache up here in my area. also been to it 4 times, to "find" it once, then really finding it when i went back to it with some previous finders

Not only is the one in my area a copy of the idea, the cache description is a word for word copy as well. :rolleyes: I just looked, and was shocked to see it hasn't been found since August, 2006. And it was found 6 times that month. I suspect it's not there anymore. :lol: And no, I'm not going to go look.

Its not one I've tried to find, as its one I own.

The Wailing Wall, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a7-12e86d9eb6ec

Its a 25mm (1 inch) irrigation hose riser about 300mm (12 inches) long, with a rock glued to the end. It is inserted perpendicularly into the wall. Its in there somewhere. What isnt really easy to see is that each of the "steps" is about 24 inches wide.

wailingwall.jpg

Cheers

Bundy

Found one under a bridge. It was a 2x6 that had been hollowed out on one side and had the log book stuffed inside and capped with the wood plug. It also had a few nails driven into the face, and was then velcroed onto another 2x6 board on the underside of the bridge. Took a little it of looking before we realized that the boardserved no structural purpose! This was one of a few clever caches hidden by someone in our area.

Best one I found locally was a round piece of wood painted a rusty color and stuck to the side of a rusty, unused electrical panel in a city park. I pulled my hair out trying to find it -- walked away, glanced back and finally noticed it. I call it a Sesame Street moment -- 'One of these things is not like the other...'

A book....in a library! It was a journal covered to look like a library book and you had to research then go look for it. There is a whole series of these!

I would really like to hear more about this one. And what's the cache called? It sounds amazing.

~jmarkowi

I would really like to know more about this one, too. How did the owner guard against the library removing the "book" from its shelves? My local library audits their inventory every few months. I would imagine the journal would get removed fairly quickly.

Found a micro bolt on the bottom of a city water unit. This was really well placed and it took me a minute to realize that the top and bottom of the bolt was just alittle off.

P.S. Why is it that all the caches I go to that say no need to kill the veg. always looked ransacked. Please people smashing hundreds of plants kind of kills the point of looking for a GEOCACHE.

A book....in a library! It was a journal covered to look like a library book and you had to research then go look for it. There is a whole series of these!

I would really like to hear more about this one. And what's the cache called? It sounds amazing.

~jmarkowi

I would really like to know more about this one, too. How did the owner guard against the library removing the "book" from its shelves? My local library audits their inventory every few months. I would imagine the journal would get removed fairly quickly.

I would assume they have permission. I have seen this a couple of times and each time it was done with permisison.

StaticTank

What is the best (hardest to find) cache container you have found?

a capped pipe fastened to a utility pole about 4' of it above ground and ? underground..... I think. A key ring on the end of a string @ the base. You had to remove the cap, and pull the string which raised the inner pipe, elevating the cache out of the top of the outer pipe. Fake heavy gauge wires were glued to the cache lid for cammo in case some muggle just happened to look into the pipe. We knew it was there and still couldn't believe it when we did finally find it. Thank you to MurryClan and RubberPaws for the great hide.

Cache you later,

Luvz2mix of Team Shake

Redding, Ca.

Edited by luvz2mix

The best cach I have found yet was a cache called eye for an aye. coordinates took me to a subdivision entrance sign. There was no place visible for a hide.Finally found it. They drilled a hole in the wall behind the letter I in the subdivision name and glued the micro to it and re-inserted it. It was perfect.

Found a micro bolt on the bottom of a city water unit. This was really well placed and it took me a minute to realize that the top and bottom of the bolt was just alittle off.

P.S. Why is it that all the caches I go to that say no need to kill the veg. always looked ransacked. Please people smashing hundreds of plants kind of kills the point of looking for a GEOCACHE.

I also wonder who actually takes trash out with them when they go. I will be honest I dont always do it. My wife however is really good at it. I try not to destroy the vegetation when I go for a cache. We all need to be better geocachers!

Edited by thinairmagic

I also wonder who actually takes trash out with them when they go. I will be honest I dont always do it. My wife however is really good at it. I try not to destroy the vegetation when I go for a cache. We all need to be better geocachers!

All of the above! The St. Louis area has some really evil cachers!

I go to school in the St. Louis area, but I don't think anything can compare to the diversity and sheer number of caches in my home of the DC area (no offense). I'm always on the lookout for good caches in St. Louis, though; do you have any suggestions?

~jmarkowi

~jmarkowi

I would assume they have permission. I have seen this a couple of times and each time it was done with permisison.

StaticTank

There is one of these caches placed in each of the regional libraries in Kitsap County, WA. They all have permission, and all the librarians know about it. You will get a sideways smile if they see you in the area. The books are always placed in the reference section and are camoed very well. They are journal type books, but covered and laminated like a real library book. The also all have a title on the spine and the small sticker that goes over the spine with the catalog number. They are called the FAHRENHEIT 451! series.

I found a bolt threaded in a hole on the back side of a gaurdrail with a bison tube clipped to the end of the bolt with the end of the bolt looking exactly like part of the gaurdrail with the numbers and everything...I actually found it by accident when I was standing up to give up on the cache, the back of my hand touched the end of the bolt and slightly moved it...it was crazy fun!

A old big tree with rustic bark in the middle of nowhere and a two inch piece of bark was peeled off and behind it was a small micro....put the micro back after signing it and then put the piece of tree bark back over it to cover the hole...... I can't tell you how many times i went back to that one LOL

Being an urban cacher I have seen many unusually creative containers. Here are a few:

1. Magnetic sticker with the GCXXX # on it stuck to a big green voltage box and the log was glued to the back of the magnet.

2. A 4 foot pvc pipe bolted to a telephone pole and the pipe was capped on the bottom but a small hole was drilled into that cap. The waterproof cache container was at the bottom of the pipe, and in order to get the container out of the pipe you have to pour water into the pipe so the cache will float to the top, but the water is spilling out of the hole in the bottom so you must hurry before you run out of water. What fun!

3. A 4 foot pvc pipe bolted to a telephone pole and the pipe was capped on the bottom. The cache container had a magnet glued to the top of it and it was at the bottom of the pipe. Your TOTT was a cord with a metal bolt tied to it and you fed it down into the pipe to attach it to the magnet on the cache to pull it out of the pipe. Made by the same team that made the above example.

4. A magnetic nano glued to a snail shell and stuck to an electrical box. One cacher thought it was a real snail and in disgust flicked it off before realizing it WAS the cache. The cache owner had to do some repairs.

5. A birdhouse hanging in a tree with a back door on it (for cleaning out the birdhouse) and you open the door to find the cache. (Actually, I have copied this one and it is a big hit amongst finders.)

6. One that I hid (and an original concept) was of a mini treasure chest hidden under a rock in a planter. However, the coords took you to the key to the treasure chest and attached to the key was a treasure map. The finder marked off the paces on the map to the "X marks the spot" to find the chest and use the key to open the cache. Another big hit, but, alas, it was muggled or gardener'd and I haven't been able to find another mini treasure chest with a key.

7. A stick laid across the top of a rock pile at the banks of a river and tied to the stick was fishing line and the cache tied to the other end of the fishing line and dangling down between the rocks so when you pull up on the stick it is like you are fishing and hooked the cache.

Being an urban cacher I have seen many unusually creative containers. Here are a few:

2. A 4 foot pvc pipe bolted to a telephone pole and the pipe was capped on the bottom but a small hole was drilled into that cap. The waterproof cache container was at the bottom of the pipe, and in order to get the container out of the pipe you have to pour water into the pipe so the cache will float to the top, but the water is spilling out of the hole in the bottom so you must hurry before you run out of water. What fun!

While it wasn't my idea originally, I believe that my Imperial Gallons cache was the first of this type. The idea was posted to forums about how it could work and a friend and I made up the cache back in '03. A few cachers have given credit to the original but I suppose most people don't know where it started. :laughing:

An ammo can.

How about a SAW can? (Fat .50) In an urban park. Some veteran cachers have claimed it was missing. Many folks make multiple trips or PAF (I'm guessing) to find.

We've had folks call us and ask for help. We ask where they were standing and many times we'd answer, "Well, you're standing within 6 inches." Some still don't find it.

There is no best container for making a hard to find cache. The smaller the container the less effort you have to put into hiding, but our cache I mentioned above is a prime example of a larger cache being much harder than the vast majority of smaller caches.

The hide technique is key to the difficulty, not the size or type.

An ammo can.

How about a SAW can? (Fat .50) In an urban park. Some veteran cachers have claimed it was missing. Many folks make multiple trips or PAF (I'm guessing) to find.

(snip)The hide technique is key to the difficulty, not the size or type.

What's the GC for that one? Must have a look, we need ideas. We recently picked up a rocket ammo can - BIG boy - placement is going to be everything when it comes to that size. It's about 40x24x24. Hrrmmm.

Thanks!

Tony

~jmarkowi

StaticTank

My Dad has a cache out called "That's my story". Link here..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fd-ba386be811bc

We have a cache in a secluded beautiful area on State park land. Unfortunately fishermen like to hang out there and some leave their trash. The cache page says that if you dont plan on CITO'ing then dont look for the cache. I think few CITO at it though.

We went out on earth day with a wagon and took big bags of trash out. I think some had been there for many years! We will probably do this again this year.

As geocachers I feel it is our duty to do at least a little CITO. I reason that we are enjoying/using someone else's property, and the least we can do is take some trash with us. Even if you just take one thing! I used to think that geocachers were more earth friendly. After a long thread a while back it was concluded that they are not any more earth friendly than Joe at the grocery store or Jim your neighbor.