Which Garmin would you choose?

ecd1211

I currently have a 60CSx, which I like, but a couple of the buttons have stopped working, so I want to replace it. I'm having a hard time deciding between another 60CSx, a Vista HCx, or the new Oregon 400t. I've read reviews of the other two units, but looking for input from people who've maybe compared the three.

I use mine primarily for hiking/walking, but also for some car navigation. I already own Topo 2007 and City Navigator.

It's a tough one because everyone will have their own opinion. I see tons of 60CSx and know plenty of people that swear by them. On the other hand I am slowly starting to see more of the Oregon's out but a lot seem to have their bugs here and there which isnt all that uncommon. As for the Vista I haven't really come across too many cachers using them. I am a somewhat techie person so I love neat features. I personally would go for an Oregon on the shear fact that it is about as high tech as you get. I have a Colorado myself and am very satisfied with it, the only thing that would get me to change is the touch screen on the oregon but since my Colorado is so new I'm not shelling out the money again so soon.

I already own Topo 2007 and City Navigator.

Sad fact is that you will have to re-buy City Navigator for your new unit. The program is keyed to a single GPSs ID number.

As long as you keep in mind that it wasn't intended to be an 'upgrade' for the 60CSx - I like the Oregon. Nice clean interface with full paperless Geocaching features. It is a joy to use and very sensitive.

I'd stay with the 60 series over the Etrex series if you use it in your car. I found the click-stick on my Legend hard to operate while the car was moving. (It's even worse to try to use when it's mounted on my bike handlebars)

You might be able to get Garmin to fix it - it never hurts to ask. And as far as the unlock for City Nav, again, you could ask for a free unlock code since your GPS broke.

When I was in the market for a new GPS, I was seriously looking at the Oregon 400t. The limiting factor that made me cringe was as StarBrand pointed out was the licensing limitations of the maps.

My biggest gripe with Garmin. :D I"m glad the topo maps don't fall under the same licensing agreement that the City Navigator does.

What really stinks is Garmin will sell you an unlock code for $99.00 to unlock a map you already paid for and own. A minimal fee would be acceptable not $99.00 I opted to buy a new City Navigator 2009 map and saved about $20.00

Sad fact is that you will have to re-buy City Navigator for your new unit. The program is keyed to a single GPSs ID number.

If he gets an RMA and send the unit in for repair they will most likely replace the unit and he can switch over the maps to the new unit. I hear they do that for free.

After using all three now, I just kept missing the ease of the touchscreen Oregon and re-purchased another.

It has it's quirks, but still has power under the hood (custom POI, GPX support, GSAK communciation, ability to apply premium mapping and POI). Paperless ability and clean interface won in the end, after a few years of tinkering and loving the control-ability of the Etrexes and 60. I'm gonna miss a few things of those units, but I don't feel too lacking with the OR. Maybe I'm just getting old.

When I was in the market for a new GPS, I was seriously looking at the Oregon 400t. The limiting factor that made me cringe was as StarBrand pointed out was the licensing limitations of the maps.

My biggest gripe with Garmin. :laughing: I"m glad the topo maps don't fall under the same licensing agreement that the City Navigator does.

What really stinks is Garmin will sell you an unlock code for $99.00 to unlock a map you already paid for and own. A minimal fee would be acceptable not $99.00 I opted to buy a new City Navigator 2009 map and saved about $20.00

Garmin does that so that people don't buy the map once, and install it on 5 different GPS's. Personally, I think if you buy the product, you should be able to do whatever you want. It's the same with regular software on your computer. When you buy a copy of Windows, you can only install it on one machine. That's part of the licensing. I understand what the company is trying to do, but if you upgrade from one unit to another, you should be able to remove the maps from one GPS, and install them on another.

That having been said, there are means for which you can permanently unlock your Garmin maps so it doesn't matter what GPS you install them to. You can sort of justify using such tools if you've paid for the maps already, but you would definitely be breaking Garmin's license agreement.

Personally, if I shell out $100 for a map, I'm going to install it on whatever GPS system I have. I've paid for a product, not a service. When I buy a CD, the record label can't tell me that I can only play that CD in my car, and not in my home. It is a product you are purchasing, not a service. They cannot "force" you to do anything with something you have in hand.

My biggest gripe with Garmin. :D I"m glad the topo maps don't fall under the same licensing agreement that the City Navigator does.

Garmin does that so that people don't buy the map once, and install it on 5 different GPS's. Personally, I think if you buy the product, you should be able to do whatever you want. It's the same with regular software on your computer. When you buy a copy of Windows, you can only install it on one machine. That's part of the licensing. I understand what the company is trying to do, but if you upgrade from one unit to another, you should be able to remove the maps from one GPS, and install them on another.

That having been said, there are means for which you can permanently unlock your Garmin maps so it doesn't matter what GPS you install them to. You can sort of justify using such tools if you've paid for the maps already, but you would definitely be breaking Garmin's license agreement.

Personally, if I shell out $100 for a map, I'm going to install it on whatever GPS system I have. I've paid for a product, not a service. When I buy a CD, the record label can't tell me that I can only play that CD in my car, and not in my home. It is a product you are purchasing, not a service. They cannot "force" you to do anything with something you have in hand.

That's fine there's a workaround, but the fact remains it is a workaround to get past Garmin's effort. It was a major reason I didn't jump on the Garmin bandwagon. Delorme registers each Earthmate GPS you want to put on the map without user input, but they don't restrict how many GPS receivers you want to connect and download. They are encouraging to share information.

Edited by TotemLake

As long as you keep in mind that it wasn't intended to be an 'upgrade' for the 60CSx - I like the Oregon. Nice clean interface with full paperless Geocaching features. It is a joy to use and very sensitive.

I was able to transfer all my lic. from a Legend HCx to the 60Csx when I contacted Garmin. It did take a few days for Garmin to get back to me on my request though.

I currently have a 60CSx, which I like, but a couple of the buttons have stopped working, so I want to replace it. I'm having a hard time deciding between another 60CSx, a Vista HCx, or the new Oregon 400t. I've read reviews of the other two units, but looking for input from people who've maybe compared the three.

I use mine primarily for hiking/walking, but also for some car navigation. I already own Topo 2007 and City Navigator.

i finually got the vista hcx, and am liking it so far.

i finually got the vista hcx, and am liking it so far.

If I were in the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 60CSx!

I am about to purchase a Garmin 60 csx. Can someone tell me if it is paperless or not?

Semi- paperless.

You can sort of encode some caching data into the name field (12 characters (I think)) and description field (like 35 characters). Or You can use POI files to get up to 80 characters per cache or a POI macro in GSAK that splits the listing page into multiple POI points. Keep in mind that POI data doesn't work directly with the Geocaching mode.

Sort of semi-paperless. Not the best solution.

If you want a paperless geocaching unit similar to the 60CSx, check out the Colorado. It has a quad helix antenna that is almost as sensitive as the larger one on the 60. It's a similar size only shorter and more compact and extremely solidly built--really cool looking and very modern. The screen is substantially larger and of higher resolution although harder to see on cloudy days, even with backlighting--but still good enough. In the bright sun, it's fantastic. In the dark or dusk with backlight, excellent. Overall, I like the screen better if I had to choose. I own a 60CSx, too, and have used it happily for a year. It's no good for paperless caching, however.

Some folks hate the Rock and Roller wheel on the CO but I really like it. A number of settings are more tedious than the 60, especially turning on and off the compass which can't be set to turn off automatically at walking pace (unlike the 60)--possibly the biggest complaint I have. Only one saved track can be shown on the map at a time--another thing on my minor complaint list. Overall, however, it is far superior for geocaching than the 60.

I didn't want the Oregon because I wanted a quad helix antenna and didn't care for a delicate touch screen. I snagged the Coloradq 300 for $249 with the $50 rebate resulting in a price of $199 (at EMS--no longer available). If geocaching is your main use, this is the Garmin you want, IMHO. If you already have TOPO 2008, you only need the 300. If not, you may want the 400t, or get the 300 and the DVD (so you can use the map program on your computer--very important for geocaching and hiking planning).

One other thing on which the CO is superior to the 60CSx--the automotive screen, even with just the TOPO map and basemap. It gives you a great view as if you were looking out your windshield, easy to zoom in and out with the wheel. Plus, the map in this profile had a white backround and is highly readable. Way, way better than the 60.

There are many CO haters out there, for, perhaps, good reasons. But I'm very glad I ignored them and took the leap.

If I were in the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 60CSx!

I am about to purchase a Garmin 60 csx. Can someone tell me if it is paperless or not?

Semi- paperless.

You can sort of encode some caching data into the name field (12 characters (I think)) and description field (like 35 characters). Or You can use POI files to get up to 80 characters per cache or a POI macro in GSAK that splits the listing page into multiple POI points. Keep in mind that POI data doesn't work directly with the Geocaching mode.

Sort of semi-paperless. Not the best solution.

I get what he's saying about "semi-paperless", and I agree.

Personally, I don't use ANY paper for caching, and haven't since 2001. I was using a Palm 3C within two weeks to store the cache information for all the caches in Utah (All 80 of them, at the time) with my Magellan Map330. I loved it at the time because it was as good as it got - then. I went to a 60 CS in 2004, and while I loved the navigation, and the ability to carry hints with me (short ones) in the GPS, I still could only carry 1000 caches in my database. This was limiting, because I travelled statewide a lot, and there were a lot more than 1000 caches in my state. I dealt with this by getting a laptop and putting GSAK on it, so i could update the data on the road. It was a little work, but not a pain. Just took a few minutes whenever I had time to go caching, and off I went. Then I got wireless internet, and I was able to get PQs anytime, anywhere.

The next step was the 60CSx with the Custom POIs. At first, i wasn't sure how many it could take, but right now i have about 20,000 caches loaded in it. When I go caching, I do a search in the POI category for the nearest (or just mouse over it on the map) and highlight the cache I want to go after. I see the data, which includes the GCcode (i had to change the macro to give me what i wanted) the last 4 logs (F for Find, N for DNF, etc) the terrain and difficulty rating, the last time the cache was found, the size of the container, the type of cache it is, and who placed it. It also says when the cache was placed. There is a SEPARATE waypoint file that includes, in as many files as necessary, the COMPLETE hint for the cache. There is one cache which has a hint that is so long it takes 23 files to get it, but it's all there. When you have the POI file open for the cache, you just select "SAVE" and save the waypoint as a GEOCACHE, and then use your GOTO to set that as your destination. If you use the "OFF ROAD" mode, you will have the geocaching options in your compass screen. The hint will not be in the hint field, however, you have to go back to the POIs for that, but since the cache you are seeking is *usually* the closest one, the hints for the cache will be the first ones that show up in the "nearest POI" search.

I have never found more than 400 caches in a year, and that was in 2005, when I got "serious" and went for 1000 total finds. This year, with the Custom POIs, I quite easily found well over 1000 caches just in my spare time, because I always had ALL the caches loaded, and could go anytime I could, no matter where I was. Having all that information about the caches helped immensely, too. So I can definitely recommend the 60CSx, and if you use the POIs, you will love it.

That said, I got an amazing deal on an Oregon 400T the other day, and after checking it out at the store, decided it was worth the 200 bucks I could buy it for. I have my hesitations, mostly the screen issues, and I really want to know if the Oregon can do what my CSx does with the POIs. If so, i am pretty sure I will love the Oregon, and my CSx will be the one I let my friends use when I take them caching. If not, I will probably use them both, depending on the type of caching I'm doing.

Sorry for the long post. I just know what a difference this has made to me as a cacher, and how much more fun I have had with the POIs, so I thought I'd share that with someone who sounds like they could use the information.

Happy trails!