PDA for Paperless caching & MM Mapping software

I want to start paperless caching and have read in the forums about people buying PDA's on Ebay but I don't know where to start. I know that many of you use PDAs and wonder if you could recommend something reasonably priced. I don't need one that incorporates a mobile phone, or GPS, as I have a Map60 Csx.

I need a PDA that will:

1: Include a version of Word and Excel.

2: Run the OS Memory Map software Version 5 that I have on my PC and Laptop so that I have the OS 1:25,00 showing on screen.

3: Be capable of accepting a download from geocaching.com of the listing with decrypted hints and some recent logs.

Another question is: Will I need to use GSAK for the latter? :D

Most PDAs have a copy of Mobile Word on them.

As long as the PDA had Mobile WIndows 2003 or later it will run Memory MAp Navigator no problem. Try and get a PDA with 64mb of RAM although those with 32mb will work ok but just a little slower.

I don't use GSAK as I have Geocache Log and that will create a CSV file for Icons and a set of text fiels that are linked to the icons on the PDA map so a quick double tap and the Cache page opens up with the decrypted hint and some of the most recent logs.

See geocache log at Geocache Log I find it much easier to use that GSAK

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Most PDAs have a copy of Mobile Word on them.

As long as the PDA had Mobile WIndows 2003 or later it will run Memory MAp Navigator no problem. Try and get a PDA with 64mb of RAM although those with 32mb will work ok but just a little slower.

I don't use GSAK as I have Geocache Log and that will create a CSV file for Icons and a set of text fiels that are linked to the icons on the PDA map so a quick double tap and the Cache page opens up with the decrypted hint and some of the most recent logs.

See geocache log at Geocache Log I find it much easier to use that GSAK

Thankyou for the helpful information about the PDA. I will study Geocache Log further.

Edited by Pendle Witch

I have used a Mio 201 for about 3 years now and it does all my needs.. I see there are varients of the previous model 168 at well under £50 and they have gps built in..

On a different subject.. Pendle Witch I did some new caches (Simons seat) on saturday and was sure the footsteps in the frost beating me to the FTF where yours.. For once I was wrong :D

Edited by Madyokel

I have used a Mio 201 for about 3 years now and it does all my needs.. I see there are varients of the previous model 168 at well under £50 and they have gps built in..

On a different subject.. Pendle Witch I did some new caches (Simons seat) on saturday and was sure the footsteps in the frost beating me to the FTF where yours.. For once I was wrong :D

how would you know, does she have funny feet? :laughing:

On a different subject.. Pendle Witch I did some new caches (Simons seat) on saturday and was sure the footsteps in the frost beating me to the FTF where yours.. For once I was wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks MD. The Mio range looks good. Am still considering what sort of PDA to go for now that I know a little bit more about what to look for.

Sorry to say that although I would love to have been around Barden Fell to find the new caches but have not made it yet. Must do as as soon as I get the broomstick prepared for snowy landings and take off. :rolleyes:

I use a HP Ipaq 6430 Pocket PC Phone. It does the things you want plus takes any old phone sim card.

Good size screen, useful software too so I use it every day for work and when not working, use it for play. It is relatively old technology now (2003) therefore quite cheap on eBay. I also run TomTom, Scrabble, other games, GPSonar and other useful bits of software. It will do photos and films but it's limited by the single SD card slot and will only handle 1GB cards to boot. There are much better modern solutions available now. However, you can get quite a few MM maps alongside the TomTom maps on that 1GB card. Having a moving map OS display scrolling with your location centred as you drive around is really smart.

I also forked out for "Voice Commander" so that I can shout at it in the car (where it's noisey) to get the phone to dial up people - it asks if you want "home, mobile or office" if you have not specified which one to call.

Excellent bit of kit and my last one from ebay cost £50... and that was for the wife to use.

I use a HP Ipaq 6430 Pocket PC Phone. It does the things you want plus takes any old phone sim card.

Good size screen, useful software too so I use it every day for work and when not working, use it for play. It is relatively old technology now (2003) therefore quite cheap on eBay. I also run TomTom, Scrabble, other games, GPSonar and other useful bits of software. It will do photos and films but it's limited by the single SD card slot and will only handle 1GB cards to boot. There are much better modern solutions available now. However, you can get quite a few MM maps alongside the TomTom maps on that 1GB card. Having a moving map OS display scrolling with your location centred as you drive around is really smart.

I also forked out for "Voice Commander" so that I can shout at it in the car (where it's noisey) to get the phone to dial up people - it asks if you want "home, mobile or office" if you have not specified which one to call.

Excellent bit of kit and my last one from ebay cost £50... and that was for the wife to use.

Thanks for this. Am currently viewing Ebay.