Frustration downloading .loc info

ladybearbc

Yes - I am a newbie and finding some of this frustrating - and now for some reason when I download the hints etc - my computer will not access them

I know I downloaded some a few weeks ago - and have actually printed them off - but now when I download the waypoints - I cannot open them on my desktop.

I get an error saying Adobe reader cannot access it because the file has been damaged.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what step I am missing?

Thank you

;)

Anyone got any suggestions as to what step I am missing?

Thank you

:D

Hey!!!!!

The .Loc files don't contain any hint information, only the GPX files have the 'good stuff'. Do you have a Premium Membership? If so, download the GPX files instead of the .Loc files. Also, GPX and Loc files can be opened with Microsoft Notepad or Word , because essentially, GPX and Loc files are simple text files. Use Notepad, they'll open just fine. Adobe is probably really confused when it tries to open one of these files.

Please let me know if this helps!!!!

Grigorii Rasputin,

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

Edited by Grigorii Rasputin

You might want to check out other ways/tools such as GSAK / EasyGPS

Look under Resources (tab on the left panel of any page except while in the forums) - then look under Tools and Downloads, then Geocaching software and finally under Windows or Mac Applications for a list of helpful programs.

Most are free to try and some only ask for a donation for their efforts. These folks have put in a lot of hard work to make it easier for you to have fun.

In any case there is a good bit of info there at your disposal.

Keep it real, Keep it fun, Keep it real fun!

It's all about the Journey!

Cache On!

It is just a recommendation, but if you want full benefits....become a Premium Member, then buy GSAK and CacheMate....GSAK for your computer and Cachemate for your PDA....That is my recommendation, with these programs you will have a great caching journey with just turns and curves, but no bumps. Stay safe and happy hunting. Check my "Profile Page" for information that maybe of use to you...

Edited by Wild Thing 73

...buy GSAK and CacheMate....GSAK for your computer and Cachemate for your PDA....

ABSOLUTELY!!! They aren't that hard to learn, really. Using GSAK can be as complicated as you make it. I still don't use 60% of it! THe cachemate is awesome, too. using a cheap $20 Palm 500 I take hundreds of cache pages with me. I spent one week doing nothing but caching where I found 50+ caches. As I cached, I wrote my logs in Cachemate. When I got home, I synched my Palm with the PC, then used GSAK to take the files from my Palm and put them onto GC.Com. I'd never cache any other way again!!!

For a REAL basic primer on 'paperless' caching, please visit my blog!!!!!

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

We had downloaded Cachemate to my husband's Palm and created all sorts of new problems (including locking it up) - so I am going to have to do a pile of convincing to get him to redownload the info.

I know becoming a premium member provides me with more benefits - but for some reason I had been able to download the pdfs a couple of weeks ago. Now I cannot - this is what I was hoping to do and send them to the Palm.

I am just having issues with more costs - figured I would like to get some use out of the GPS first - then move on to more extensive uses.

I have downloaded easy GPS - but that is going to take some time to figure out.

Still working on it.

Thank you

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

We had downloaded Cachemate to my husband's Palm and created all sorts of new problems (including locking it up) - so I am going to have to do a pile of convincing to get him to redownload the info.

I know becoming a premium member provides me with more benefits - but for some reason I had been able to download the pdfs a couple of weeks ago. Now I cannot - this is what I was hoping to do and send them to the Palm.

I am just having issues with more costs - figured I would like to get some use out of the GPS first - then move on to more extensive uses.

I have downloaded easy GPS - but that is going to take some time to figure out.

Still working on it.

Thank you

I wonder how you downloaded .pdf's as a member, that I believe is a premium member benefit. Perhaps you clicked the print button? You can do this as a member.

As for causing problems downloading cachemate on to the palm, you did get the Palm OS version, not the Pocket PC version, correct? You should be able to download the .zip file from the cachemate site, unzip it and then run the palm installer to install cachemate.prc and mathlib.prc on the palm on the next hot sync.

Without being a premium member about the only thing you can do is print the cache pages, download the .loc files into something like EasyGPS to load on to your GPS, or if you have a Garmin unit, use the send to GPS button on the cache page. And as it stands now, having cachemate on your palm is not very useful.

Perhaps you should step back and tell us what you want to do and we can be more help.

Jim

[totally]

What!

[/confused about this whole post]

I agree with Jholly, tell us what you wnat, what you did...

LOC has nothing to do with PDF, Cachemate can read GPX and perhaps LOC, but that second bit would be useless.

Perhaps dis-associate your gpx and loc file extensions from any program, or use the programs mentioned (EasyGPS and GSAK) which should associate them 'correctly'.

Edited by trainlove