Pulled the trigger on the PN-40.

Thanks to all your fine reviews and opinions on the forum, I have concluded the PN-40 is the best GPSr currently available for geocaching, hiking, etc. I just ordered it form Amazon. I was waiting to see if the price would go below $290, but after Jr.com went back up to $339 I didn't think Amazon would go any lower. I also ordered a 16 GB SD card to hold all the maps. :D Amazon is estimating a shipping date around Christmas so I should be testing it out by the new year. I must say one of the deciding factors for me was the amount of input and answers the Delorme tech reps posted on the forums listening to what people wanted. Like geocaching with this unit. I get the impression that Chip, (guy from Delorme, don't know his last name), actually uses the PN-40 for geocaching on his personal time. I don't think the Garmin tech reps have any idea what their units are being used for. After owning, using and then returning the Garmin Colorado after about 2 weeks, I think the Earthmate PN-40 is a keeper.

Congrats! I jumped on the 289.99 price from JR.....I just hope they get some in soon to ship.....I'm so excited I don't know how long I can wait! :unsure:

I got mine for that price, too, but I ordered it the night before they ran out of stock, I think mine is due to get delivered today ;) But it's a Christmas present, so I can't use it till after then. But I already had Topo 7.0 on my computer from when I had my PN-20, so I've signed up for and been downloading tons of aerial imagery from the Map Library subscription service, you gotta do that, awesome deal! Now I just gotta get a nice big SD card, I don't think my 4GB is going to do it, especially since I have over 5GB of aerial imagery alone so far!

Edit: Just checked at Amazon-

Items:

Delivery estimate: December 3, 2008 - December 8, 2008

1 of: DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

Sold by: J&R Music and Computer World

And from the shipping tracking-

Estimated Arrival: December 8, 2008

Edited by HondaH8er

Thanks to all your fine reviews and opinions on the forum, I have concluded the PN-40 is the best GPSr currently available for geocaching, hiking, etc. I just ordered it form Amazon. I was waiting to see if the price would go below $290, but after Jr.com went back up to $339 I didn't think Amazon would go any lower. I also ordered a 16 GB SD card to hold all the maps. ;) Amazon is estimating a shipping date around Christmas so I should be testing it out by the new year. I must say one of the deciding factors for me was the amount of input and answers the Delorme tech reps posted on the forums listening to what people wanted. Like geocaching with this unit. I get the impression that Chip, (guy from Delorme, don't know his last name), actually uses the PN-40 for geocaching on his personal time. I don't think the Garmin tech reps have any idea what their units are being used for. After owning, using and then returning the Garmin Colorado after about 2 weeks, I think the Earthmate PN-40 is a keeper.

Congratulatoins. Be prepared. If you have never used the Delorme software, there is a learning curve. Once you get past that, you'll fly. As Embra mentioned, ask any questions you might have. There'll be plenty of us to help you out.

I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations!

Be sure to ask any questions that come up for you here or at the Delorme users forum (there will be more, and sometimes better-informed help available there).

Thanks for the advice to join the Delorme forums. Its funny but I have never spent much time there, always read the posts here. Now that I ordered the PN-40 I'll spend some time on their forum. I wish Groundspeak would break up their forums by manufacturer, I get bored reading about all the problems the Colorado/Oregon have. ;)

Be sure to ask any questions that come up for you here or at the Delorme users forum (there will be more, and sometimes better-informed help available there).

Thanks for the advice to join the Delorme forums. Its funny but I have never spent much time there, always read the posts here. Now that I ordered the PN-40 I'll spend some time on their forum. I wish Groundspeak would break up their forums by manufacturer, I get bored reading about all the problems the Colorado/Oregon have. ;)

What Max said. There is a lot more help over there. Congrats on the new toy :unsure:

Thanks for the advice to join the Delorme forums. Its funny but I have never spent much time there, always read the posts here. Now that I ordered the PN-40 I'll spend some time on their forum. I wish Groundspeak would break up their forums by manufacturer, I get bored reading about all the problems the Colorado/Oregon have. :laughing:

What Max said. There is a lot more help over there. Congrats on the new toy :D

Soooooooooooooo I have taken delivery of a brand spanking new PN 40 now if I could only locate owner specific sites on the DeLorme web site I could register and update the critter. Anyone care to tell me where to go... EASY now ... many people have told me where to go over the years, however, they were largely unsolicited retorts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please and Thanks

Edited by humboldt flier

Soooooooooooooo I have taken delivery of a brand spanking new PN 40 now if I could only locate owner specific sites on the DeLorme web site I could register and update the critter. Anyone care to tell me where to go... EASY now ... many people have told me where to go over the years, however, they were largely unsolicited retorts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Please and Thanks

The registration and updating process is accomplished when you install the Topo USA 7.0 software onto your PC with an internet connection. Your software and GPS will be registered at the same time.

I hope that this helps!

-Brian

The registration and updating process is accomplished when you install the Topo USA 7.0 software onto your PC with an internet connection. Your software and GPS will be registered at the same time.

I hope that this helps!

-Brian

Thanks Team DeLorme,

Next question.

If I register and load from the PC world, will I be able to transition to the Mac world as your team rolls out the Mac friendly elements.

Thanks for the advice to join the Delorme forums. Its funny but I have never spent much time there, always read the posts here. Now that I ordered the PN-40 I'll spend some time on their forum. I wish Groundspeak would break up their forums by manufacturer, I get bored reading about all the problems the Colorado/Oregon have. :laughing:

Interesting, on Amazon's PN-40 page this item (URL) shows up under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought".

Interesting, on Amazon's PN-40 page this item (URL) shows up under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought".

That's kinda funny.

And also a complete lie! I just checked Amazon to be sure and this is definitely somebodies idea of a joke or cheap shot at the screensize of the PN's from somebody with only 15 finds. I have owned a PN-20 for over a year and have no problems with the screen size at all. If you don't like it just say so but make sure you actually try one before slamming it.

Rant over.... :laughing: taking a breath...

Edited by KJcachers

I hope that this helps!

-Brian

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not showing new firmware updates. I must be having a bad hair day

I hope that this helps!

-Brian

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Updates are automatic as long as you connect to the Netlink tab (downloading interface) in Topo USA. Firmware updates are also on the DeLorme Tech Support website.

I hope that this helps!

-Brian

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Updates are automatic as long as you connect to the Netlink tab (downloading interface) in Topo USA. Firmware updates are also on the DeLorme Tech Support website.

10-4, KP. I got mine from here:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=16400

Although I suspect they are both places.

Ordered one through JR at the $289. If I have to wait, I'll wait. Not doing any caching right now anyway (cough, hack, sneeze)

Actually, I'll be looking for this one with my grandchildren today and won't even need the PN-40:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+33%c2%b0+3....278+(GC1H5GZ)+

Goodness, I grew up in that area 60+ years ago, my how it has changed!! used to be nothing but bean fields along Talbert Rd. Now the 605 runs right over wher the house used to be!

Ordered one through JR at the $289. If I have to wait, I'll wait. Not doing any caching right now anyway (cough, hack, sneeze)

Actually, I'll be looking for this one with my grandchildren today and won't even need the PN-40:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+33%c2%b0+3....278+(GC1H5GZ)+

Goodness, I grew up in that area 60+ years ago, my how it has changed!! used to be nothing but bean fields along Talbert Rd. Now the 605 runs right over wher the house used to be!

Huge 10-4, when I bought a house in HB forty some years ago it was still more than half bean fields, but fast disappearing.