Delorme map support

The only XMap product that most of us find financially palatable is XMap Pro. Delorme makes it available to PN-20 and PN-40 owners at half-price ($99).

The chief drawback of the Pro relative to the pricier versions is the more limited import options. You would want to review the formats that XMap Pro can accept, and then consider any conversion options you might have for formats it doesn't accept.

There are a number of PN-XX owners who find the $99 a worthwhile purchase to expand the imagery capabilities of their GPS. I'm with you in regarding the fancier versions as out of my price range (to be fair, they are professional GIS applications, and have other capabilities that I would never use).

Edit to add: just to be clear, you would need either Topo USA (which comes with the PN-40) or XMap to generate detail map files in the format required by the PN-40.

Edited by embra

What file formats does the pn-40 support?

Is there any way I can use a shapefile (.shp) from ESRI's ArcMAP on my PN-40? How about garmin maps?

;) In order to view shapefiles on DeLorme's PN-Series of GPS handhelds you will need XMap 6 GIS Editor.

From within XMap 6 GIS Editor you can export views of shapefiles, MrSid and GeoTIFF aerial imagery as well as registered scanned paper maps and images, to the PN-40 or PN-20.

Garmin map data is propriatary.

Remember DeLorme PN-Series products come with either Topo USA or XMap 6 and offer a complete, seamless, topographic map of the USA for use in the PN-series. Plus you can access DeLorme Map Libaray Subscription for just $29.95 per year and get all -you-can-eat aerial imagery, Topo Quads, and NOAA marine navigation charts. Let me know if you are aware of a better deal than that. www.xmap.com

Thanks

Geoffrey Ives

Director of Professional Sales

DeLorme

Edited by geoffives
In spite of what Delorme would like to have you think.....

I give up. I've been pondering this vague and ambiguous generality all day. Any links to specific quotes of a definitive nature describing the non-existance of others or declaring DeLorme as having the only one?

There are other softwares that will open SHP files and then save as GPX which can then be taken into TOPO 7 for transfer.

Interpreting softwares as plural, any specific identification with links to two, or more, applications from sources other than DeLorme that will perform the function described above?

Thanks

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
There are other softwares that will open SHP files and then save as GPX which can then be taken into TOPO 7 for transfer.

Interpreting softwares as plural, any specific identification with links to two, or more, applications from sources other than DeLorme that will perform the function described above?

Thanks

Not to get into a p***ing match here, but OziExplorer will do this. You can even do it on the trial version. Not sure about other programs. Anyone else?

Edited by Redwoods Mtn Biker

Expert GPS

...............and others...............

No P.M., but "Delormers" do get a little "testy" when anyone refutes their "Talking Points" ......especially with factual data.

I was just trying to be helpful to another GPS user by passing along other less expensive or free alternatives instead of strictly sticking with the "party line"..............

Edited by Grasscatcher

Expert GPS

No P.M., but "Delormers" do get a little "testy" when anyone refutes their "Talking Points" ......especially with factual data.

I was just trying to be helpful to another GPS user by passing along other less expensive or free alternatives instead of strictly sticking with the "party line"..............

Perhaps, but your previous post did convey a tone. :laughing:

In spite of what Delorme would like to have you think.....

Expert GPS

Please, my apologies if I've given the wrong impression regarding my intentions. My true intentions are also to be helpful with factual data.

So as noted above, Expert GPS, $50, will open SHP files and then save as GPX which can then be taken into TOPO 7 for transfer?

I didn't see a claim of such capability (SHP file transfer to Topo 7) on that referenced web page. Is there any direct, hands-on, experience by any respondent in this thread. (Other than the friend of the guy next door to the brother-in-law of a guy at work.......)

I apologize for looking for very specific answers to very specific questions. It is my humble attempt to not parrot the "party line." :laughing:

I can vouch for the fact that you can convert a shapefile to a GPX file, using OziExplorer, and use it in other mapping programs. Since Topo USA accepts GPX files, there is no reason this shouldn't work.

I appreciate the response with another possible option with a cost of $95.

However, I was asking specifically regarding the referenced Easy GPS, which was offered as factual data and was there direct, hands-on success.

Sorry, GPS receivers from the following manufacturers can't be used in ExpertGPS.

Cobra

Cobra will not release information on their data interface.

Delorme

After extensive testing with a Delorme PN-20, we've decided not to implement support for this GPS at this time. It uses a real-time USB interface that would require significant changes to our software. If they release further products based on this interface, or if their market share increases significantly, we'll revisit this decision. The good news is that Delorme's software finally supports GPX, so you can exchange GPX files between their software and any TopoGrafix product.

Humminbird

I pulled this from the Expert GPS site

TCP,

Your eyeglass batteries are getting weak.....

What was referenced was Expert GPS not Easy GPS....and to be more specific, the Pro or GIS Option version of Expert GPS is what is needed to open the SHP and convert to GPX.

There is even FREE software that can do it.....

Better yet, (and to prove a point) ask the people at Delorme. I'm sure they will be happy to tell you.

Edited by Grasscatcher

I appreciate the response with another possible option with a cost of $95.

As I said, it will work with the trial version (e.g., free).

Sorry, GPS receivers from the following manufacturers can't be used in ExpertGPS.

<snip>

Delorme

No, you probably can't connect the DeLorme to ExpertGPS. I assume one would convert the shapefile in ExpertGPS, export the GPX file and then open that in Topo USA.

TCP,

What was referenced was Expert GPS not Easy GPS....and to be more specific, the Pro or GIS Option version of Expert GPS is what is needed to open the SHP and convert to GPX.

There is even FREE software that can do it.....

Better yet, (and to prove a point) ask the people at Delorme. I'm sure they will be happy to tell you.

And Garmin will do the same thing. What marketing company won't try to sell their product over someone else? If you ask the question any company will try to sell their product. That's their job. Why is that a problem?

You can easily provide suggestions without making backhanded swipes.

Copy that, but if it works and one wants to use it indefinitely, does not the $95 apply?

Maybe. It's in that gray area of shareware /demo / trial (with no expiration date). Ideally the user will like the program for purposes other than just as a shp>gpx conversion utility and buy it.

I guess the same thing goes for using Garmin Topo on multiple GPS units. But I wonder how many people here actually pony up for extra copies.

Copy that, but if it works and one wants to use it indefinitely, does not the $95 apply?

Maybe. It's in that gray area of shareware /demo / trial (with no expiration date). Ideally the user will like the program for purposes other than just as a shp>gpx conversion utility and buy it.

I guess the same thing goes for using Garmin Topo on multiple GPS units. But I wonder how many people here actually pony up for extra copies.

I acknowledge that. My practice is make the donation if I'm happy enough that I use it on more than 3 or 4 occasions. For example, this is a good app:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

TCP,

Roger that, which is why I asked for a link above in post #8, but received none. Which is url=__________?

Now, any real, hands-on success?

TCP,

You do need to fess up here on the forum that you did, in fact, get the info by e-mail that you requested...

and that it works, and that,yes, there are even Free softwares to do the same shp to gpx conversion.

It's kinda bad when more time and effort is spent trying to "shoot the messenger" than taking information provided and doing further investigation for oneself.

TCP,

Roger that, which is why I asked for a link above in post #8, but received none. Which is url=__________?

Now, any real, hands-on success?

TCP,

You do need to fess up here on the forum that you did, in fact, get the info by e-mail that you requested...

and that it works, and that,yes, there are even Free softwares to do the same shp to gpx conversion.

It's kinda bad when more time and effort is spent trying to "shoot the messenger" than taking information provided and doing further investigation for oneself.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. That you sent a file to someone else then to do something else is not an end-to-end, I did it all myself, with my own hands and I have the final product in my hands.

Look above, "Now, any real, hands-on success?"

But that's OK, I withdraw the request. You gave it your best! :D