Will a Nuvi 200W lose accuracy under canopy?

MikeSSS

Found my second cache ever today and opened one for the first time.

I used a Nuvi 200W made for car navagation, at first it took me right to the location but then started guiding me to nearby places, changing every minute or so. Forgot to check the "accuracy" screen. This was under the tree canopy.

I haven't tried it in the open to see how that compares yet.

Anybody know if tree cover degrades accuracy?

Thanks

Found my second cache ever today and opened one for the first time.

I used a Nuvi 200W made for car navagation, at first it took me right to the location but then started guiding me to nearby places, changing every minute or so. Forgot to check the "accuracy" screen. This was under the tree canopy.

I haven't tried it in the open to see how that compares yet.

Anybody know if tree cover degrades accuracy?

Thanks

All GPSs will to some extent be degraded under a tree canopy - or anything else that reduces their 'view' of the sky. Canyons (whether between buildings, or natural, reduce the number of satellites they can detect absolutely . Canopies - whether leaves or anything else - can weaken the signal from some of the satellites that they can see.

Welcome to Geocaching!!!!!!

The answer to your question is: Yes, absolutely.

I went caching the other day here in Michigan during a heavy snow shower and experienced 'GPS bounce'. It's very noticeable under heavy canopy, escpecially after a heavy rain. You see, water absorbs the microwave frequency signals from the satellites.

Check out my blog for how I deal with GPS bounce.

Cache Safe!

Grigorii Rasputin

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

http://www.glass-cockpit.org

Found out how to check "Accuracy" on the 200 W. The birds it sees change around quite a bit and accuracy is about 20 to 25 ft outside right now and more like 30 to 35 ft inside the house.

It sees a lot better inside, higher bars, if held so the back of the GPSr is toward the ceiling. It seems to see 6 to 8 birds inside on the bottom floor of our two floor home.