"Knight Rider" GPS with William Daniels' voice!

MMarshall

Does anyone have one of these? My boy would go nuts for one.

I do! I bought it for my husband last year for his birthday! (He's obsessed with all things Knight Rider! We watch it every night on the RTN!)

You can put your own name in there, so, it says things like "Jason, where would you like to go today?" & "I'm really looking forward to this" when you turn it on. The red light stripes flash & make the noise that KITT does too! (& my husband does silly things like say "thanks buddy" when KITT tells him what to do!). And i've found that even i refer to the thing as "KITT" rather than "the gps"!

Since everything was pre-recorded in William Daniels voice, sometimes the directions are a bit more vague, like, no street names in town. There's also an option to switch to about 3 different voices, which are not as vague. Then it sounds like just the plain ol' gps.

The other thing that can drive me nuts about it... KITT's VERY persistant. To get to our hometown, we can take interstate, or highways. We opt for highways, since its actually faster. Well, KITT wanted us on that stinkin' interstate!! For over half the drive, he kept telling us to u-turn! Finally, when we were about 30 miles out, he gave up & changed his route.

Yes, it was expensive. We didn't have a GPS before this (we'd borrow my mom's for long trips & she lives an hour & a half away!) so, it wasn't like we had another option before hand except google maps & such. Its a fun alternative, & it works well, so no complaints here! I'd mentioned getting a GPS many times before they actually released KITT & he'd say "if we get one, it has to be this one!" So, it was my only chance... I took it!

Well that's a +1, thanks!

We just found out that we missed this years Knight Rider convention and we were a little bummed. :huh: We have so many GPSr units anyway, getting another would just be one that we don't need.

Couldn't you choose avoid highways so KITT wouldn't drive you nuts? Maybe it doesn't have that option... It needs to have the complete scanner bar and not just those lights on the sides.

Does anyone have one of these? My boy would go nuts for one.

I have one of these. I am such a huge fan of the original show (yeah, I'm a geek, sowhat?) that I had to get one.

We got ours for $159. We do NOT keep KITT's voice turned on all the time, simply because William Daniels didn't record the text-to-speech, so while he'll read freeway numbers, etc, you get no street names.

He does, however, greet me by name every time the unit is turned on. Which is, needless to say, quite awesome.

It's a good GPS. It gets us where we need to go (over the road) and has never given us WRONG directions, except for telling me that my office was on the right side of the road, when it was on the left.

Mio has not released a map update for it since I bought it last year, so I don't know how the first map update will work out.

I have no real complaints about it. Too bad they didn't have William Daniels record the TTS entries ...

EDIT: also, what's up with the cancellation of the new 'remake' of the show? I was just starting to get into it when they realized they were idiots and changed the format ... it was slowly becoming more like the format of the old show, and then it was canned. :huh:

Edited by tekkguy

EDIT: also, what's up with the cancellation of the new 'remake' of the show? I was just starting to get into it when they realized they were idiots and changed the format ... it was slowly becoming more like the format of the old show, and then it was canned. ;)

my husband & I just had this exact same conversation last night! Too little, too late on the part of the execs, I guess!

As for the avoid highways, or whatever it was... maybe it does do that! I've never played around with it enough to find out!

EDIT: also, what's up with the cancellation of the new 'remake' of the show? I was just starting to get into it when they realized they were idiots and changed the format ... it was slowly becoming more like the format of the old show, and then it was canned. ;)

eh.

My son was able to watch the movie/pilot. I watched a few after that but they all had more sex than I wanted him to see. Nothing like the original. I stopped watching it. It needed canned. Who cares if hes older and doesn't have a big fro anymore? People want to see the Hoff!