$150 or less (I hope)

Need a little advice.

I have a 5 year old eTrex Legend. A grest system in its day. Will not work well in the tress. Very poor reception. Went a bought a new eTrex H today. Way to hard to "toggle" around. Deefinately need the toggle instead of down and up button. Whick one do I want that will provide the "in the trees" reception. Do not need a high tech system. Just something that works with great reception and ease. Can I keep it under $150?

Thank-you!

Traillblazer2

Oregon

I have a 5 year old eTrex Legend. A grest system in its day. Will not work well in the tress. Very poor reception. Went a bought a new eTrex H today. Way to hard to "toggle" around. Deefinately need the toggle instead of down and up button. Whick one do I want that will provide the "in the trees" reception. Do not need a high tech system. Just something that works with great reception and ease. Can I keep it under $150?

Not sure what you mean by "toggle" - can you explain? I was going to recommend the Venture HC for under $150, but it probably has the same user interface as the eTrex H.

The VentureHC has the "click-stick" enter button/direction pad so it navigates just like your old Legend, and usually goes for less than $150. It has 24mb for map storage, much more than the 8mb your legend has. it also has the same high sensitivity chipset as the EtrexH you just purchased.

EtrexH uses the same serial connection to the PC as your old legend, but the VentureHC uses a USB connection to the PC.

I was also going to suggest the Garmin Venture HC, but if you don't like to control layout of the eTrex H, then you probably won't like the Venture HC, as it's the same layout, with the click-stick above and to the left of the screen. That does kind of bother me on my Legend HCx, too, don't know why they out it where you block the screen if you use your right hand. You get used to it, but I prefer the control layout of the DeLormes myself. If you were willing to spend a little more, the refurb'd DeLorme PN-20 can be had a tigergps.com for about $180 shipped, or keep your eyes on the classifieds, as there are people like me who are looking to sell their PN-20 to move up to the new PN-40. But for the price range you're looking at, even if you wanted to go up to $180, the only good units I know of are the Garmin eTrex Venture HC and Legend HCx, or the DeLorme PN-20. And the two Garmins have the same control layout that it seems you don't like.

Oops, I checked the photos at Amazon, and it looks like hogrod is right - the eTrex H does not have that little click stick, and the Venture HC has. That may make all the difference for you - it makes data entry much easier (if still a pain). I'd get the Venture HC over the eTrex H just for USB connectivity alone.

Edited by Chrysalides

Oops, I checked the photos at Amazon, and it looks like hogrod is right - the eTrex H does not have that little click stick, and the Venture HC has. That may make all the difference for you - it makes data entry much easier (if still a pain). I'd get the Venture HC over the eTrex H just for USB connectivity alone.

Well, I'll be darned, it doesn't have that click stick! I wonder how much harder it is to move thru menus? And I'm guessing there's no way to move the cursor around on the screen without that stick, either. I'd definitely move up to the Venture HC from that, the click stick, while annoying, would make it a little more versitile, and the color screen will be way better than the gray-scale of the H.