Best nano container

H2"O"

We've recently noticed that there are a lot of inferior nano containers out there. Some of them lose their magnetism while others lose their magnets altogether. We have been considering hiding a few, but we don't want to use junk. Any opinions?

What does magnetism have to do with nano? True, some micro's are magnetic but quite a few arent'.

The main problem I see with the size most folks call nano is that the log gets destroyed from finders trying to get it out and back in. That said the containers that keep the log dry at least get a few more cycles before the log is trashed.

So that would mean that the waterproof nano's are the better ones.

Sometimes it amazes me how many people would rather twist every thread to be about their personal pet topic rather than simply ignoring the ones that they don't feel like posting an on-topic comment to.

Regarding the thread's actual topic, I've experienced several different nano magnet-related issues:

1. Some nano magnets are pressed into the base of the nano, rather than glued in. These can, at some future date, become seperated from the nano. A bit of 'superglue' will fix this. I prefer 2P-10 Jël CA. It works quickly, stays stuck, and is super thick so it doesn't get all over me.
  2. Some nano magnets are weak. It's pretty easy to check to see if your nano has a weak magnet before making the hide. If so, remove it with a pair of pliers and glue a better magnet onto the nano (see 2P-10 Jël CA, above)
  3. Some nano magnets have a cheapo chromish coating on them which can seperate from the magnet. A visual inspection of the nano may find this problem before making the hide. Otherwise, you can fix it later IF the container isn't lost. Use afformentioned pliers to snap off the magnet. Sand any remaining chromy or dusty nastiness away. Glue new magnet to container (see 2P-10 Jël CA, above)
  4. Some nanos have the magnet inside the container, rather than attached to the base. While this would seam like a good design, it has two problems. First, these tend to be weaker magnets. Second, they take up valuable room inside the tiny containers. It's best to remove these magnets and glue a good one onto the base (see 2P-10 Jël CA, above).

This post made possible by the manufacturer and distributers of 2P-10 Jël CA.

Sometimes it amazes me how many people would rather twist every thread to be about their personal pet topic rather than simply ignoring the ones that they don't feel like posting an on-topic comment to.

Fine, I'll be nice.

2. Some nano magnets are weak. It's pretty easy to check to see if your nano has a weak magnet before making the hide. If so, remove it with a pair of pliers and glue a better magnet onto the nano (see 2P-10 Jël CA, above)

3. Some nano magnets have a cheapo chromish coating on them which can seperate from the magnet. A visual inspection of the nano may find this problem before making the hide. Otherwise, you can fix it later IF the container isn't lost. Use afformentioned pliers to snap off the magnet. Sand any remaining chromy or dusty nastiness away. Glue new magnet to container (see 2P-10 Jël CA, above)

The magnets referred to are Nd2Fe14B AKA NIB, NDFB or Neodymium magnets some even call the Nuclear magnets but that is just a process used to create the strongest ones.

I have seen their strength range from N22 - N58 and the strength limit is supposedly N65.

They suffer from an exposure flaw so if you get one that is dull gray then

1. It is most likely weaker than when it was manufactured.
  2. You need to coat it.

Most will be chrome plated when you acquire them, unfortunately you cant be sure that the manufacturer didn't skimp on the process to reduce cost.

You probably should coat it.

You can also get them coated in some form of plastic. Make gluing them in place easier and theoretically reduce that maintenance we should be doinging. ehcoco.

You can get them copper or gold coated, much better than cheap chrome but it will rub off faster than good chrome.

So, if you want a good magnetic nano container, then you need a supply of magnets, glue and possibly acrylic for cache maintenance.

Remember that a nano is only as good as it's maintenance, if I can't sign the log because it's owner doesn't change it enough then it is no good for geocaching.

Regarding the thread's actual topic, I've experienced several different nano magnet-related issues:

[*]Some nano magnets are pressed into the base of the nano, rather than glued in.

I know that for the most part this thread is referring to those little metal nano containers with a magnet on the bottom and a screw top. However, I found a cache in South Africa that was just slightly larger that would still consider as a nano. It was basically a metal tube about an inch long and about 1/2" diameter. It had a rubber cover on each end and an "earth magnet" epoxied to the side. I've never seen another one before or since like it. One of the nice things about it was that you could remove both rubber caps and push the log through to sign it. You still had to roll it up and put it back in though.