Oregon Reviews

pauliesg

Hi I hope someone can help

I currently have a Garmin GMAP 60CSx which I have been very happy with. I stopped caching this summer as my girlfriend hurt her ankle. I also got fed up of all the paper and preperation it took me before going out.

I looked into getting a PDA and transfering the information from geocache site to gsak to pda but although I understand GSAK is very popular for many, for me in this modern internet age I dont like updating databases and see it as a waste of time, email PQs download then download onto pda etc.

Anyway I have returned to this site and see the oregon is a unit that allows you to transfer all the cahe data direct from the geocahe website effictively cutting out the middle man and saving time.

Has anyone got one of these and if so could they let me know what they are like.

Do they allow you to store all cache details and the logs?

How many caches details can you keep on the device?

Is the oregon itself any good or at least as good as the 60CSX

thanks in advance

Paulie

I just received a Oregon 400t last Friday and was able to use it on Saturday. I didn't need a new gps, but it was my birthday and the wife wanted an idea....so there I go. I had a 60csx and carried my dell pda with me, which did work very nice, but I was wanting one unit and I thought it would be much simpler with only one unit instead of going back and forth. I really liked my 60, but after getting onto the Oregon, I am REALLY liking it!!! The screen is dim and it is harder on batteries, but having everything at your fingertips out in the woods is really AWSOME!!! Then when it comes to logging your finds.....the "Field Notes" on GC.com is the BOMB!!! I can not believe how much simpler it is logging your finds. I am VERY glad that I have the Oregon and would recommend one from the limited use I have had so far. Hope this helps.

I have both the 60CSx and the OR 300. I have finally "retired" my 60 which I loved. The OR has proven itself reliable and accurate enough that I am totally comfortable with it. And the paperless caching is awesome. I used to use cachemate on a PDA. I have retired the PDA as well.

I have the Oregon 300 with City Navigator and TOPO maps loaded.

I have no issues with the screen being dim.. I can read it just fine.

My only complaint about the unit is that the battery level meter is not accurate at all, which will hopefully be addressed in a future firmware. I use NIMH batteries and have gotten over 10 hrs with energerizer 2500mah batteries with the backlight on at all times and compass on.

I am switching to Rayovac hybrid batteries 2100mah, only because they retain a charge longer than ordinary NIMH batteries. Regular NIMH batteries are good if you charge them right before you go out but if you let them sit around for a week or so they drain, not so with the Hybrid batteries or Sanyo Eneloop brand.

My only complaint about the unit is that the battery level meter is not accurate at all, which will hopefully be addressed in a future firmware. I use NIMH batteries and have gotten over 10 hrs with energerizer 2500mah batteries with the backlight on at all times and compass on.

:rolleyes::laughing::D

I've no problems with it either if I leave the backlight on at all times.....

:lol:

I have the Oregon 300 with City Navigator and TOPO maps loaded.

I am switching to Rayovac hybrid batteries 2100mah, only because they retain a charge longer than ordinary NIMH batteries. Regular NIMH batteries are good if you charge them right before you go out but if you let them sit around for a week or so they drain, not so with the Hybrid batteries or Sanyo Eneloop brand.

Make sure the battery type is set properly in the settings. That affects the battery meter display.

I just ordered the 400T from eBay, and I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know if you can load Custom POIs in the Oregon 400T like you can in the 60CSx? I am excited to start using this unit, but I really hope that I can load those POI files in it. I went on a 5 day trip across Idaho this past weekend, and having every cache in Idaho and Utah (some 20,000 of them) with the extended cache information was something I don't think I could go without now. If the Oregon doesn't do that, then I will have to carry my CSx with me as well. But if it does, then this will probably be the best GPS I've ever seen.

Also, when I load the PQs in the Oregon from GC.com, does it remove the previous PQs that were loaded? If not, does it de-dupe the files in the database? I am assuming you are limited to 3000 files total, and 1000 cache files (which really doesn't get you very far).

I just ordered the 400T from eBay, and I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know if you can load Custom POIs in the Oregon 400T like you can in the 60CSx?

Yes, except, they are much better. The character limit is 20000 instead of 88.......

You can use one of the GSAK "Nuvi" macros to put all of the cache information into a single POI. Everything will fit in a single POI without problem. Here is a sample screenshot from a Colorado. You can scroll down and everything is there including logs.

172.jpg

Edited by Red90

Also, when I load the PQs in the Oregon from GC.com, does it remove the previous PQs that were loaded? If not, does it de-dupe the files in the database? I am assuming you are limited to 3000 files total, and 1000 cache files (which really doesn't get you very far).

You are limited to 2000 caches and 200 GPX files. 1000 is for waypoints which are completely separate. If you delete or overwrite a GPX file, it is rescanned into memory and any old items are removed.

Note GPX files can contain routes and tracks as well and these are all accessible by the unit.

I just ordered the 400T from eBay, and I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone know if you can load Custom POIs in the Oregon 400T like you can in the 60CSx?

Yes, except, they are much better. The character limit is 20000 instead of 88.......

You can use one of the GSAK "Nuvi" macros to put all of the cache information into a single POI. Everything will fit in a single POI without problem. Here is a sample screenshot from a Colorado. You can scroll down and everything is there including logs.

172.jpg

I haven't used this macro yet on my 400t. Will it overwrite the CN POI's? And what time of screen ICONs does it use?

-galaP-

I haven't used this macro yet on my 400t. Will it overwrite the CN POI's? And what time of screen ICONs does it use?

-galaP-

With the nuvi macro they end up as custom POI's (will not interfere with CN POI's) and icon provided is a small container with green cover. On a nuvi they actually end up as Tour Guide with proximity alerts, but if Oregon/Colorado cannot do that, just say "No" where the macro asks if you will be using the alert feature and use express mode of poiloader. You could alway experiment and see if alerts do work (along with manual mode of poiloader to set distance) or if that steps on the comment data (like it does in my eTrex).

I may not have something set quite right in Mobile XT (Palm TX), because I can see the boxes with green covers, but it does not alert (in route simulation mode). Mobile 10 pkg makes a Palm look/work like a nuvi, but many settings are in different places. Even when the screen on my Palm TX is vertical instead of horizontal everything word wraps and is viewable fine like the Colorado example (w/o tire marks).

I use a different GSAK 60CSx macro for POI's with more condensed info for my eTrex. That one provides a treasure chest icon.

You can use whatever icon you want to for Custom POI's, typically a 16x16 pixel bmp file with the same name (except extension) as the matching data file before using poiloader.

Well, that is definitely good information. That was pretty much my only hesitation with the Oregon. Now it's even harder for me to wait to get it. Fortunately, I had it shipped to my office, so at least I know I will get it ASAP.

THanks for that information about the POIs, cachers are awesome!

Any other cool things I can do with the Colorado/Oregon that I might find exciting? I saw something that made me think you can pair a heart rate monitor with it? Anyone else? I also heard there is a cache finds counter on it, that keeps track of your finds even when you delete the found caches from your GPS.

Edited by bunkerdave

Well, that is definitely good information. That was pretty much my only hesitation with the Oregon. Now it's even harder for me to wait to get it. Fortunately, I had it shipped to my office, so at least I know I will get it ASAP.

THanks for that information about the POIs, cachers are awesome!

I used to use the POIs on my 60CSx but Geocaching on the Oregon is completely separate. Geocaches do not count as "waypoints" unless the Geocache data includes waypoints for parking etc. I have over 1500 Geocaches loaded on my Oregon. It is so much easier then any other previous process and requires no conversion of data.

I have a set of Pocket Queries that produce GPX files. With the Oregon plugged in via USB, two "drives" show up. A Garmin drive and a Mass storage drive (the Micro SD chip).

The Pocket query will create two files a waypoints only file and a larger file containing all the cache data. You want to load the larger file.

On the Garmin Drive among other things there is a Garmin folder. Under that there is a GPX folder. All you need to do is drop the larger GPX files into the GPX folder and you're done! All the data is loaded including descriptions and even the hints!

By far the ultimate Geocachers tool :rolleyes: so far.........

Any other cool things I can do with the Colorado/Oregon that I might find exciting? I saw something that made me think you can pair a heart rate monitor with it? Anyone else? I also heard there is a cache finds counter on it, that keeps track of your finds even when you delete the found caches from your GPS.

Yes, sure.

You can send information wirelessly from one unit to another. Very nice when caching in groups.

Yes, sure.

You can send information wirelessly from one unit to another. Very nice when caching in groups.

That will be nice, if I can get my caching buddies sold on the Oregon. THing is, they have both only recently gotten their CSx's, so it might be a while. :rolleyes:

What are the best features of the Oregon, in your own experience? What do you think sets it apart most from the other Units you have used?

The combination of the paperless geocaching features, profiles and the touch screen really make this unit hard to beat for geocaching.

Being able to drop a gpx file from GSAK onto the unit, autoroute to parking, navigate to the cache, enter a field note and repeat is really unique I think. Not only is it paperless but I don't need to enter parking coordinates into another GPS to drive to the cache, no need to mess with different settings for automotive mode vs. offroad mode because the profiles take care of that and the touch screen makes it easy to enter notes and upload the data to gc.com later on.

The combination of the paperless geocaching features, profiles and the touch screen really make this unit hard to beat for geocaching.

Being able to drop a gpx file from GSAK onto the unit, autoroute to parking, navigate to the cache, enter a field note and repeat is really unique I think. Not only is it paperless but I don't need to enter parking coordinates into another GPS to drive to the cache, no need to mess with different settings for automotive mode vs. offroad mode because the profiles take care of that and the touch screen makes it easy to enter notes and upload the data to gc.com later on.

Can you tell me more about this? Does the Oregon take you to the PARKING waypoint (if such is given) and then automatically switch to "off-road" mode to take you to the cache? I have often wished that my 60CSx could detect when I was close and switch to off-road for caching, instead of me having to go from "follow road" to "off road" all the time. Can you tell me more about the profiles, and how you use them? Sounds very cool.