Geocaching not allowed in the Kruger National Park

M@X Meerkat

My question is “Did KNP ever allowed a sport to take place in the park? If there are runners among us then they will know the answer. The answer is yes. In the 90’s somewhere in August I ran the Skukuza race. The race was called the “Run on the wild side”. This 21.1 km race was mainly outside the fence. Before the race the rangers went with horses and vehicles to ensure that no dangerous animals are in the vicinity. When the race started I suddenly realised that this is not nice. Yes, the rangers were there and they were armed, but I had the idea that we are running somewhere much safer. My only thought was to stay not in front neither at the back for obvious reasons. But there were no problems at all but this has created a precedent. They now have a problem – they can not allow this sport but not another sport. But again you must negotiate in good faith but this is the final card you can play. If you need to verify go to Google and type in “Skukuza race” and you will see it. Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Copied and pasted from the general thread about permissions, etc -

I totally agree with mustering our resources, environmental, technical, financial and management in the KNP process. But, from correspondence with them, and trying to read between the lines, I believe that the first priority is to let the emotion die down. Then in January, at the informal one-on-one discussions I've been invited to, I think it's important to LISTEN and share viewpoints, and understand the breadth and depth of all their issues without bombarding them with a hundred and one ideas. However, in the meantime, we should be preparing, to have the ideas ready......

I'll think a bit, and post some ideas of a framework within which we should be mustering our resources for KNP preparation.

Some general data: (could someone please verify this data)

1. First cache in KNP was planted 27/11/2005.

2. Caches were archived 10/12/2008.

3. Caching period – 1110 days.

4. 151 different cachers visited

5. 38 caches are stashed inside KNP.

6. Most visits per cache are 37 visits. Planted on 7/11/2006. 766 days of caching at 1 find for every 21 days. (About once a month)

7. 742 total cache visits in KNP

8. Cachers with the most experience in this area are as follow. Jin & Tonic with 28 finds. Henslin with 26 finds. iPajero with 24 finds. Tommyjav with 21 finds and planted 3, FishEagle – 21 finds, planted 6, Hennieventer – 19 finds, planted 6, Strider_sa – 19 finds, planted 2, Akkedis – 19 finds, Arwen_sa – 19 finds, Milking – 17 finds, planted 4, SpiderFinder – 16 finds, Ddpisani – 16 finds, planted 2

Gerhard

Some general data: (could someone please verify this data)

1. First cache in KNP was planted 27/11/2005.

2. Caches were archived 10/12/2008.

3. Caching period – 1110 days.

4. 151 different cachers visited

5. 38 caches are stashed inside KNP.

6. Most visits per cache are 37 visits. Planted on 7/11/2006. 766 days of caching at 1 find for every 21 days. (About once a month)

7. 742 total cache visits in KNP

8. Cachers with the most experience in this area are as follow. Jin & Tonic with 28 finds. Henslin with 26 finds. iPajero with 24 finds. Tommyjav with 21 finds and planted 3, FishEagle – 21 finds, planted 6, Hennieventer – 19 finds, planted 6, Strider_sa – 19 finds, planted 2, Akkedis – 19 finds, Arwen_sa – 19 finds, Milking – 17 finds, planted 4, SpiderFinder – 16 finds, Ddpisani – 16 finds, planted 2

Gerhard

Phew, your info doesn't look right to me, eg most visits per cache is about 70.

PM sent.

According to my database, there are 55 caches placed in the KNP. I was hoping to list the caches, together with each cache's number of finds, but my post was rejected due to its length!

However, in summary, there are two caches with 70 finds (Campbell's Hut and KNP:Wild Dogs), with A Tablet Not To Be Taken not far behind (64 finds).

Edited by Blackjack Bailey

Ok, this is off the topic but maybe it is needed to release the tension a bit. What on earth am I doing wrong? It is one thing to get to the wrong data – but one should understand to prevent the same mistake in the future. Somehow strange things are happening in my database. I suddenly lost two of my tonteldoos clues that were added as a User note. Ok – I have about 10 different databases in GSAK.

Could you please send me your list of caches and the finds – it should fit into my e-mail with no problem. I need to analyse what actually went wrong. I ran a full GPX a while ago on MP and I kept the logs up to date. The database is configured to keep 100 logs offline. Tonight I noticed that some logs are not downloaded and the database is not accepting them even when I download them again. Could someone contact me offline – I am lost.

gerhardoos@smsad.co.za

Gerhard

Sorry for responding so late. But this morning we were on our way to do some caching in Dullstroom.

I am now busy verifying my caches and your cache results with the maps.google.com link on Mapsource to see where I went wrong. We will download a couple of KNP caches again and we will verify the results with yours. One thing we did notice is that only 40 logs are loaded at a time and nothing more. I still need to read more about GSAK on the GSAK forum to determine some answers. If I am still stuck you will receive the “help”.

But thanks for your help I really appreciate it a lot – it is real great. I now have something to verify against. One again – thanks and I will call if I can’t get the answer.

Gerhard

I did not read the whole thread in detail but got the general arguments from both sides. My suggestion to make any sort of inroad would be to agree:

1. That caches only to be placed in rest camps
  2. Only certain types of containers to be used
  3. Agree what is "out of bounds" within camps
  4. Some sort of agreement on the density/number of caches
  5. All caches to be placed to be registered with the KNP authorities
  6. Process to be followed on removal of geolitter and deregistering of such caches
  7. Some sort of "probation period" ... followup/monthly/quarterly meetings to monitor

And yes ... the average number of visits per cache ... The % of cachers who stayed over in the camps and the number who entered as day visitors ... International caching visitors with same sort of stats ... etc ...

So Gerhard ... You are on the right track with your stats ...

Edited by Cape_Guy