cache container type indicator

mchaos

I just thought it would be nice to have an icon indicator for the type of container out of a small list of popular containers.

Ammo can, Tupperware, film canister, not specified ect.

It would be cool if it told you one the map search ect.

I know it says the size, but it would be cool to have an icon showing.

I just thought it would be nice to have an icon indicator for the type of container out of a small list of popular containers.

what's wrong with the row of squares? micro on the left, unkown on the right. Very concise with little real estate taken up.

Jim

what's wrong with the row of squares? micro on the left, unkown on the right. Very concise with little real estate taken up.

Jim

How about these icons?

micro.gif Micro

small.gif Small

regular.gif Regular

large.gif Large

other.gif Other

OK - maybe I didn't understand - but I don't think the OP was talking about size but rather TYPE of container. Type in addtion to the size icons already present.

Ammobox, Lock-n-Lock, screw on matchbox etc......

Why would you care whether a small cache is a decon container, a Witz sport case, a sandwich-size Lock N Lock, a peanut-butter jar, or something else?

He's looking for an easier way to discern what he is looking for.

I say keep the mystery in place. Part of the thrill is the hunt afterall.

Even the "common" list would have to have 20+items just off the top of my head. Not sure very many cachers would use it either. Many perfer to have a bit of mystery to the actual container. The others typically list the container in the description.

DANG! I hid a pickle jar, and the only choice is peanut butter jar. :D

Now I gotta go swap it out... :D

If the owner decided to reveal this, I can read it on the cache description.

My feelings exactly. Recently I made a hide and did not state what the container type was on purpose. I only stated the container size. If I did state what the container was, it would reduce the number of hiding places that need checked and make it almost too easy.

-edited for clarification-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

As a searcher, I really don't care much what the container is made out of. Size is the key.

Besides, there are many "common" containers. So many that it would be nearly impossible to pare it down to a "small list" without leaving out numerous popular containers.

Edited by briansnat

As a searcher, I really don't care much what the container is made out of. Size is the key.

Besides, there are many "common" containers. So many that it would be nearly impossible to pare it down to a "small list" without leaving out numerous popular containers.

I found a cache this weekend that was a key container (micro) inside a Rubbermaid container (small). The cache listing had it as a micro and no mention of the Rubbermaid container.

Listing the container type would have been counterproductive in this example (even micro vs. small is debatable here), but I've also logged a Needs Maintenance as something's definitely not right between the site and the physical cache.

Personally I think there should be a category for "Micro" all by itself. It is not a regular, "cache", by any means.

1 a: a hiding place especially for concealing and preserving provisions or implements b: a secure place of storage

I don't really think that Micro falls into this category at all. It is in no way shape or form holding anything but a logsheet.

It should have its own Icon so that I can tell right away I don't want to hunt it.

if you don't want to hunt it, just filter by size.

It isn't the size. It is truly its own type now. People specialize in Micros. It is not a traditional cache. It is a Micro.

no it's not.

if i decide the prius is its own type of thing and not a car, that doesn't make it so.

your declaration that a cache is not a cache because it's small is just as foolish.

oh, wait! that thing isn't a container with a log; it's SMALL.

It isn't the size. It is truly its own type now. People specialize in Micros. It is not a traditional cache. It is a Micro.

Then you would need to filter out Micro Traditionals, Micro Multicaches and Micro Puzzle Caches. I've even found a Micro Letterbox Hybrid, with a tiny stamp in the film container. In my area there used to be lots of micro event caches and I'd love a filter for that, too. There are probably micro Wherigo caches though I've never checked.

Why make so much work for yourself when you can simply filter on "size" today?

"Traditional" has nothing to do with the size. It has to do with the style (single stage, at the posted coordinates, no additional info required to log it). Micros can be any cache type, so how would you classify a Mystery Micro? Are we going to create separate subtypes for each cache type? How ridiculously complicated. Separating size and type works quite well.

And besides screwing up a system that works perfectly well, what would be gained by doing this? You can already filter by size. So you would gain... nothing.

I'm not sure what you're asking for.

A micro is the size of the container and has nothing to do with the type of cache you're seeking.

What would you call a single stage micro? A micro traditional? Would a multi that's all micros be a micro multi? What if the first couple stages were micros and the final was a regular? A micro/regular multi?

All of these possibilities are accounted for in the current system. If you don't want to find micros, exclude them from your search. If you only want to find micros, filter out everything else.

If you only want to find single stage micros, filter on that.