MapSource / US Topo install on Vista

JC_Geo

I am now running Vista on my PC and am currently loading MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager and US Topos on to it. I can get it all to load with no problems, but I would like to be able to access the US Topos without having to put a data disk in everytime I want to load maps to my GPS.

With Windows XP, I was able to create a folder in the C:Garmin folder and copy and create folders for East, West, Alaska and Hawaii and copy the map data into them from the US Topo discs. I did this on the Vista machine and then went to edit the registry so the program would recognize the location for each set of map data.

When I did this on my XP machine, I went into the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to make this edit. On the Vista machine, the Garmin folder is under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" instead. so I can't find where to edit the "loc" registry key.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thanks in advance

I have downloaded the latest Garmin MapSource program from the Garmin website.

Not sure if you have version 3 or 2008 of topo. Sounds like you have Version 3. I didn't edit the regestry at all. Believe I just copied the directories to the hardrive and installed from there.

I could be wrong though.

Nope, you're right. That should work.

So should I not let the disk install automatically? Where would I copy the directories to on the hard drive? I assume C:/Garmin Once copied to the HD do I click on the setup exe file?

I have the topo data copied onto my HD in the Garmin folder the same place I had it installed on my XP box.

Right now I can run US Topo but to have the topo data display, I need to have the CD in the drive.

Hey, I'm glad it worked!

Similar situation, different details... I'm trying to re-install NAMetroGuide on my Windows 7 machine. I have the setup.exe file and all the rest on the HD. When i attempt to Run Setup, it starts fine but then it prompts me to insert the CD. Is there a way i can "tell" the computer to look in the folder on the HD?