WM free caching software

SidAndBob

I've just tried navigating using it on the TyTN II and it's very good. It seems better that the Cachemate plug-in.

Although there isn't as much detail (no TB management, for instance) the listing pages seem easier to read, all logs from the gpx file are included and in-line images are shown. Decoded hints and additional waypoints are also shown. The Radar screen also shows the closes caches to you.

You can't add voice notes, but switching between listing, navigation and writing notes is much simpler than Cachemate, as is adding a waypoint.

As you can use the same .gpx file you create for Cachemate there is very little overhead here, so I will certainly be trying it next time I'm out caching for real.

Hopefully this will go on to be developed further, but it's a great start. (OK, it's v2.1). :huh:

I go to cachemate and click, up comes DB_Files, Plugins and Voice notes. I click DB_Files it highlights and then click Import at bottom left........................................Nothing! What am I doing wrong? :D:laughing:

If you mean that you are trying to import a Cachemate DB file into Richesse - that is what you are doing wrong. You should be importing a GPX file, which can be the same file that you import into cachemate.

is anybody else experiencing issues with RichesseGPS?

it all seems to work fine including the navigation - except i kept dropping GPS when i got close to the cache, possibly Stationary Nav issue? - but if i try to use the download info option in the POI Manager the program hangs then crashes.

any idea how to solve?

i got it working once about 15 minutes ago. managed to download one eventually but after closing the program and restarting it the problem has returned.

I've been using RichesseGPS on a T-Mobile MDA Vario III (a.k.a. HTC Kaiser/TyTn II), and it is excellent! Very easy to use, KML export feature is great because you can then open the KML file in Google Maps, only minor grumble is the way that the compass always seems to spin back to a north heading when you stop moving, which can be a bit irratating when you've just found a cache and then pick the next one to navigate to - you have to start marching off in a random direction to get a bearing! The 'radar' facility is nice, it dynamically sorts the list of caches by distance from current GPS position (without needing to manually acquire a 'centre' position like you do in cachemate). Also it's freeware, with no restriction on the number of caches you can load in.

I don't have any problems with it conflicting with TomTom. Both apps open the port directly rather than using WM6's GPS intermediate driver (like Google Maps and Live Search) so you can't use both at the same time, but then why would you want to? If it helps, I've configured RichesseGPS to use COM4 at 9600 baud, COM4 is also configured as the 'GPS Program Port' in the 'External GPS' settings on the phone. Interestingly, TomTom uses COM4 at 4800 baud, also works fine. Not sure what the significance of this is. I have heard that some phones such as the Samsung Omnia use a different GPS chip which produces slightly different NMEA sentences that a lot of software doesn't recognise if configured to use the ports directly, but I believe port redirector software can be used to create a dummy port which translates the data.

is anybody else experiencing issues with RichesseGPS?

it all seems to work fine including the navigation - except i kept dropping GPS when i got close to the cache, possibly Stationary Nav issue? - but if i try to use the download info option in the POI Manager the program hangs then crashes.

any idea how to solve?

i got it working once about 15 minutes ago. managed to download one eventually but after closing the program and restarting it the problem has returned.

i have worked out that you need to have an ACTIVE internet connection for the Download INfo option to work. Richesse will not connect to the internet for you. As a work-a-round i open a browser page, it connects to the net, then close the browser again before running the Download Info option.

Works perfect after that.

A great little program. I was considering purchasing BeeLine but i think this will suit me fine.

Does anyone use it with GPX files? Does it import the cache page and last 5 logs?

I don't have any problems with it conflicting with TomTom. Both apps open the port directly rather than using WM6's GPS intermediate driver (like Google Maps and Live Search) so you can't use both at the same time, but then why would you want to?

So you can use Memory Map at the same time ?

Try Port Splitter 1.2 available free from http://www.gpsmeter.com/index.php?page=portsplitter it allows you to split your incoming bluetooth port into 2 or more pseudo Com ports so you can have multiple applications accessing your GPS.

I use it on my Loox 600 for RichesseGPS and Multimap but there's no reason why you couldn't use RichesseGPS and TomTom if you wanted (or all 3 if you have the memory)

Hope this helps! :unsure:

Brian

(part of The Jones')

Trying to make my whole geocaching experience that little bit 'greener', ie no seperate GPSr / PDA / paper etc. I have installed this directly from the site onto my HTC Touch HD. Loaded, intstalled, and configured (comm 4 / 9600bauds). Works a treat and the speed of connection with birds in the sky is very very quick. Much faster than my old eTrex.

Lets hope I can make it work with .gpx / .loc files from my next PQ.

Nice App so far.

Regards

MobileMerlin

(Warren)

i loaded around 900 caches onto my Tytn II from pocket queries and the radar funtion would not start at all. The POI manager was VERY slow.

So long as you stick to around 500 or less it runs great.

(quite why you'd need more i don't know but i tried it anyway! )

Try caching Australia over a 4 week period.

I was finding the 2000 limit on my Colorado was very tiresome!