Is the Topo Map really practical on a GPS?

I would venture to say no. Those that really use it for hunting/are serious about topos would buy the large maps or look at them online where you can see a much bigger map that paints a larger picture. This way you can make a better judgment call on what to do, where to go, etc.

I understand having a map on your GPS is better than carrying along the paper, but how practical can a topo map be when your looking at a 2x4 picture of it?

I'm curious to hear your thought on this?

I have Magellan's MapSend topo on my GPS. It's just great. But being based on a 90m elevation model I can't see certain little hillocks.

I know someone with Garmin's Mapsource Topo (and I have it on my computer), and she loves it. She can see the smallest of hills that I can't see.

Sshe also won a Delorme PN-20 at a geocaching event recently and that comes with Delorme's Topo. I have had Delorme Topo (version 3) forever on my home computer and it's junk, but on her GPS it's great.

When you look at a map on your GPSr screen, you are looking at a small part of it. Certain features are invisible depending on your scale factor, 35yards, 90yards, 180yards, 0.2mile, 0.4mile, 0.8mile, 1.6mile, 3.5mile, 7mile, 12mile, 25mile, 50mile, 100mile, 200mile, 400mile, 800mile, 1700mile. You are thinking that you see the whole map compressed on your screen, that's not the case, and if it were then even street maps on a GPS would be garbage.

It's true that it is difficult to get an overview of a large area on the unit. And the typical unit topo (for example, the Garmin topos) are based on 1:100000 data, not the more detailed 1:24000 you are used to with a paper 7.5 minute quad.

On the other hand, it is useful for localized navigation such as picking a good cross-country route to a cache. I think it just depends on how you intend to use the maps.

As with most things, the real answer is, "It depends."

I can see where you're coming from, but there are lots of uses where the information in a topo map in the GPS is just the right thing. I'm not a serious off-roader but I do a bit of hiking and mountain biking out in the Rocky Mountains. I even like to poke around the logging roads and forestry roads in my Honda CR-V. Typical basemaps that come in a handheld GPS, if they come with one, have no details at all. Roadmap products, like Garmin's City Navigator products, have virtually no useful geographic information, and the little they have is usually very inaccurate (Metroguide Canada is a huge, and welcome, exception).

There are thousands of miles of roads and trails and tracks on a topo map that don't show up on a road map. I use them a lot when I just want to go backroads exploring with my CR-V or my mountain bike. I like to be able to see the lakes and rivers and streams on my GPS, both for pre-planning and for when I'm just wandering about, regardless of my mode of transport (feet, pedals, motor). I also like to see the contours. I'm not interested in the actual elevation. I just want to see when the contours are clustered tightly together so I can get an idea how steep the terrain is.

I have Garmin's Topo Canada and the Ibycus topos. I use both on my eTrex Legend HCx and I find them very useful for my purposes.

...ken...

I'm also a be-prepared type of traveller. Google Earth has become one of my favorite planning tools.

But I do it so that I can much more easily fly by the seat of my pants when I'm there. :rolleyes:

My wife is always astonished at how much adhoc travel we do on the way to, and at, our destination, given the number of hours I spend preplanning the trip. She's also always quite pleasantly surprised at how rare it is for us to get lost when just roaming around in an apparently aimless fashion.

It's so much easier and more enjoyable to fly by the seat of the pants if you are properly prepared. :rolleyes:

...ken...

FYI, the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40 come from the factory with topo maps, no need to buy them, and with the hi-res aerial imagery you can put on them, it makes them like little portable versions of Google Earth, but with a topo overlay. It works pretty well. Never tried any topo stuff on my Legend HCx, so can't speak to how that is.

Addressing the original question...

Topo maps in the palm of your hand are INVALUABLE to hunters who take to the backcountry. Absolutly INVALUABLE! I don't know how I got along without my GPS for years out there in the forested hills. Most hunters I know plan their trip or know where their going before they get out in the hills anyway. Knowing where you are at all times and within the context of the topo map is without a doubt helpful.

Is the Topo Map really practical on a GPS?
Absolutely!!!

I've totally given up on paper maps since getting all of Colorado at 24K inside my GPS.

The single biggest advantage is the Position Pointer showing your exact position in the context of a 24K Topo. Like this:

VenableCabin.gif

The red pointer was my position with the map as context. Makes GPS so superior to paper maps.

Here's what Above the Timber has to say:

Advantages of GPS Topos verses Paper Maps:

* The most significant advantage is the GPS Position Marker, see link. It places you on the map at your exact location . . . no more transposing via coordinates to a paper map, no more guessing.

* Garmin Levels, the OS within the receiver and the multi-level structure of the maps intelligently adds/removes map detail as you zoom in and out, so that the screen is not overwhelmed with too much detail. You can customize this feature on the fly with Map Setup > General > Detail.

* Seamless borders, adjacent maps seamlessly join one to another, unlike paper maps.

* Vast scale, on a fingernail sized memory card you can hold several states 24K topo maps, try that with paper quads. Now you can go to that next basin that's off your paper map and know where you're at, freedom.

* Over zoom, unlike paper maps at a fixed scale and font size, these topo maps allow the individual users to zoom as needed for their eyesight, no need for a magnifier.

* Adjustable Text Sizes, Font sizes can also be adjusted over a broad range to suit each individual's eyesight.

* Map Pointer Info, everything you see can be selected with the GPS cursor for its name, type or elevation. Want to find the elevation of a contour? Simply position the pointer on the contour, viola instant elevation. No more finding an elevation and following the line back to your area of interest and then counting lines.

* Backlight, view the maps in any light condition from full sun to totally dark, no need to drag out a flashlight.

* Waterproof, need to check the map in the rain, no problem, GPS receivers are waterproof, are your paper maps waterproof?

* Windproof, ever try to read a paper map in a strong wind, acts like a sail doesn't it.

* No folding and unfolding with the inevitable loss of detail at the folds.

* No need to dig the giant map out of your pack, a GPS "rides" up front.

* No need to print a paper map from your map software, you always have your maps inside your GPS.

* A GPS provides odometer functions, can your paper map and compass do that?

Well I have TOPO in my Legend HCX and I would not cache without it. It has all the roads on it which as you know will keep you from following your arrow across a river and such. It has all rivers, ponds, dams,PWA's which we all know why they are big and so on. I use it to cache and to place caches it is not the map you want if you are going to use turn by turn but I think it is a great asset to caching.

CACHE ON

It is better to have it on a GPS, than not have it. If you don't like it, you can turn it off. It is not perfect, nor as detailed as a map. However, you can instantly see details of where you are at and the corresponding terrain. You can see creeks and other water sources, some trails, and certain other details that are not available on road maps.

I just recently installed TOPO 2008 on my Legend HCx. Quite frankly I was a little disappointed. I knew ahead of time it would not be 1:24k. Some of my disappointment may lie in the fact that I live in a relativley flat area so with 1:100k maps not nearly as many of the squiggly lines show up. I have also noticed a lot of ponds do not show up on the topo. As I drive, many ponds of at least an acre in size do not show on the GPS. Maybe there is a minimum size water area that was predetermined....I don't know. Its still pretty cool and will be useful at some point. Just not quite as much as I had hoped for.

I used Idaho Topo by OZ this year in Hells Canyon elk hunting while transversing 1,000 foot terrain changes around and through dead falls. Personally, I can tell you that 2X4 screen is a god send when your dog a** tired and and you have five miles and a 1,100 foot climb back to camp. You start really picking choosing which way want to take. Also this year I gave up my paper map on the first day of the hunt to a ill-equipped companion that I didn't want to spend time looking for if he got lost. I would still highly recommend carrying a paper map and a compass for backup but as long as my Vista HCx was operational you won't see me digging into my pack for my map.

I used Idaho Topo by OZ this year in Hells Canyon elk hunting while transversing 1,000 foot terrain changes around and through dead falls. Personally, I can tell you that 2X4 screen is a god send when your dog a** tired and and you have five miles and a 1,100 foot climb back to camp. You start really picking choosing which way want to take. Also this year I gave up my paper map on the first day of the hunt to a ill-equipped companion that I didn't want to spend time looking for if he got lost. I would still highly recommend carrying a paper map and a compass for backup but as long as my Vista HCx was operational you won't see me digging into my pack for my map.

Glad to hear you used it.

Obviously I like them. As long as I'm looking at the small picture I love having topos. For large scale planning its computer or paper obviously.

I live in Okinawa Japan and the Japan topo map is great. I also mapsource topo for the states. If you set up the preferences on the mapsource program it will show hiking trail, logging road, etc. It just depends on it you need it or not. I have been backing, carrying extra weight of maps/books where the weight could been something else. That is my 2 yen.

I do a lot of geocaching and the last time I was out and figured I would run through the area and knock out a few caches with out looking at a map I ran into trouble. WHen I was in the middle of the swamp and wet up to my knees I decided that I would switch over to the topo map on my Colorado and guess what I found out? I was in the middle of a huge swamp........ I learned. I always go to topo when I leave the road now. Used to do lots of caching in Wyoming and the topo was great for finding easy ways up and down hills.

Ron

:blink:

Contours are just level lines and topo is shape shadings.

Most Garmin topo maps have both contour lines and shading but you can't switch either off. eg...

topo3d.jpg

I have them as separate maps and can switch between them.

I prefer just the contour lines only, less detail but more info...

map.GIF

eg

Oregon_300_relief_2.png

B)

~

Edited by Odourless

Most Garmin topo maps have both contour lines and shading but you can't switch either off. eg...

That helps to understand your post.

However your assertions don't fit my experience. I have a Garmin topo of Colo and in my OR 450, Setup > Map > Advanced Map Setup > Shaded Relief, allows the toggling of that feature.

Like you I prefer shaded relief OFF. Looks good on an HD monitor, not on a 3" screen.

:blink:

~

I respectfully have to disagree with that definition. Topographic maps show the topography of the land, and that is most commonly achieved through contour lines. But a topographic map does not require shaded relief. Many USGS quads do not have the shaded relief, yet are still topo maps.

By definition, a contour map is a topographic map, and so is a [shaded] relief map. Of course, so is a shaded contour map.

I realize that it's just semantics, but sometimes it makes a difference.

As with most things, the real answer is, "It depends."

I can see where you're coming from, but there are lots of uses where the information in a topo map in the GPS is just the right thing. I'm not a serious off-roader but I do a bit of hiking and mountain biking out in the Rocky Mountains. I even like to poke around the logging roads and forestry roads in my Honda CR-V. Typical basemaps that come in a handheld GPS, if they come with one, have no details at all. Roadmap products, like Garmin's City Navigator products, have virtually no useful geographic information, and the little they have is usually very inaccurate (Metroguide Canada is a huge, and welcome, exception).

There are thousands of miles of roads and trails and tracks on a topo map that don't show up on a road map. I use them a lot when I just want to go backroads exploring with my CR-V or my mountain bike. I like to be able to see the lakes and rivers and streams on my GPS, both for pre-planning and for when I'm just wandering about, regardless of my mode of transport (feet, pedals, motor). I also like to see the contours. I'm not interested in the actual elevation. I just want to see when the contours are clustered tightly together so I can get an idea how steep the terrain is.

I have Garmin's Topo Canada and the Ibycus topos. I use both on my eTrex Legend HCx and I find them very useful for my purposes.

...ken...

I use UK topo maps on my GPS, but since I use a Montana I've got a bit more screen space than most GPS users. The contours are a great asset, especially when cycling because if I see a whole load of them I know that section could hurt.

I've hiked in hilly forests in central PA using a freebie map that doesn't have contours on it. It means I don't get lost because the map shows the trails but it would be really nice to have the contours on the same map. Sometimes the mile-long trail really is a better option than the 1/4-mile direct route simply because the 1/4 mile direct route is so steep it takes 30 minutes or more to walk it.

I've hiked in hilly forests in central PA using a freebie map that doesn't have contours on it. It means I don't get lost because the map shows the trails but it would be really nice to have the contours on the same map. Sometimes the mile-long trail really is a better option than the 1/4-mile direct route simply because the 1/4 mile direct route is so steep it takes 30 minutes or more to walk it.

Here is a link to a view of a Topo contour map containing a profile view of a Central Pennsylvania trail on the computer. Similar contour maps views are also available with a bundled gps device if desired. (May currently be backordered).

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?/gallery/image/11-pa-pulpit-rock-trail-profile/

Well you make some pretty weird comments at times but how you can believe that I've no idea, while a contour map will certainly be 'less cluttered' it can't possibly have the 'same info' :rolleyes:

Depends on what info is useful. For me the lines offer a quick reference without having to look past the superfluous details.

When I need info fast, 'less detail is more info' usually...

My eyes are usually always on the landscape while only on the GPS briefly for a location.

;)