COINTEST-Post your favorite Christmas Ornaments

Eric K

Back when I announced the Wearing of the Colors Christmas 2008 coins there was the story behind the reason why.

Our Christmas tree gets a new ornament every year, and they are always dated. Our kids also get dated ornaments from the Grandparents.

Each year when we put up the tree we find ourselves reminiscing on where each one came from and when. We usually also pick one up on the years that we are able to take a vacation.

My favorites are the ones below. They were made by my mom I would guess about 30 years or so ago. The ornaments are made from pre-formed styrofoam and were made by pushing in little pins.

ornaments.jpg

Now for the rules.

1. HAVE FUN!

2. I will determine the winner. There is no set criteria and my choice will be final.

3. Post a picture of your favorite ornament(s) along with a story on why that is your favorite.

4. Cointest will end Dec. 18th.

5. Winner will receive an unactivated coin from me. Type of coin yet to be determined.

Most importantly this isn't really about the contest, it's about posting some nice photos and reading some good stories.

Thanks,

Eric

Well, I won't be able to post a picture since all my things are in storage but I can tell you about the ornament.

When I was just out of high school, I joined a program called the California Conservation Corps. It's a youth job program run by the state where you do work in parks and wilderness and the like. One project my crew worked on was to create "Fish Habitat" on the floor of a lakebed when the water was low. It's a manmade lake where the floor was all grassland, and there's nowhere for the little fish to get away from being eaten by the big ones. We would string large clumps of cut brush on cables, and anchor them down. This would give the little ones a place to hide and grow. For one section that we did, the "brush" we used were recycled Christmas trees. They were dropped off in the city, then we hauled them to the lake and used them. My favorite ornament is the ONE that I found on one of those Christmas trees, after some family accidentally left it there when they took the rest down. It is a tiny little Cukoo Clock, with the little Chains and Pinecone weights hanging below. it looks just like my Grandma's Clock, that was always the first destination when we went to visit(so we could pull the chain to wind it). I've had that ornament almost 20 years now, and it was the first one in my collection(not counting the ones in my parent's Collection that are "mine")

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Well, I won't be able to post a picture since all my things are in storage but I can tell you about the ornament.

When I was just out of high school, I joined a program called the California Conservation Corps. It's a youth job program run by the state where you do work in parks and wilderness and the like. One project my crew worked on was to create "Fish Habitat" on the floor of a lakebed when the water was low. It's a manmade lake where the floor was all grassland, and there's nowhere for the little fish to get away from being eaten by the big ones. We would string large clumps of cut brush on cables, and anchor them down. This would give the little ones a place to hide and grow. For one section that we did, the "brush" we used were recycled Christmas trees. They were dropped off in the city, then we hauled them to the lake and used them. My favorite ornament is the ONE that I found on one of those Christmas trees, after some family accidentally left it there when they took the rest down. It is a tiny little Cukoo Clock, with the little Chains and Pinecone weights hanging below. it looks just like my Grandma's Clock, that was always the first destination when we went to visit(so we could pull the chain to wind it). I've had that ornament almost 20 years now, and it was the first one in my collection(not counting the ones in my parent's Collection that are "mine")

Oh that is a very cool story! I am happy that little Cukoo clock ornament found a new home and is part of your memories. How nice.

We can't take a picture either as our ornaments are all in storage yet, but we have a family tradition where we hang a pickle on the tree. It represents our German Heritage. Every year the Pickle is hidden on the Christmas tree and the first kid to find it get a extra present on Christmas Morning.

Oh wow! I can't believe the ornaments you put in the photo. I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought of a sequin christmas tree ornament I made with my mom about 30 years ago, and they are the same exact type of home-made item. Must have been all the craft rage when I was little. It is my favorite, though. Once we get the ornaments out storage, I'll shoot a photo.

Oh that is a very cool story! I am happy that little Cukoo clock ornament found a new home and is part of your memories. How nice.

I'm glad I found it, or it would have been on the bottom of the lake!!

In my mom's side family- their is a popcorn string that has been going around for more years then im alive,,Each year it is gifted to someone else in the family-kinda as a joke and as a gift of our history--my mom had 7 brothers and 8 sisters so that will give you a clue to how big the family is,, all the brothers and sisters have recieved already and is down to the last nieces and cousins-- I will try to get a pic of it to share, but if you recieve it you must sign the box and add something from that year that was important,,then pass it on,,for a few years it really stunk,,but now its so old it dosent even smell-its quite intresting to see what happened from a clipping 30 years ago,, or a picture of someone 20 years ago..lol

this is the true gift of christmas for our family -as it brings out many smiles every year and the real meaning of christmas--loving giving family and friends....Merry Christmas everyone!!! :huh:

In my mom's side family- their is a popcorn string that has been going around for more years then im alive,,Each year it is gifted to someone else in the family-kinda as a joke and as a gift of our history--my mom had 7 brothers and 8 sisters so that will give you a clue to how big the family is,, all the brothers and sisters have recieved already and is down to the last nieces and cousins-- I will try to get a pic of it to share, but if you recieve it you must sign the box and add something from that year that was important,,then pass it on,,for a few years it really stunk,,but now its so old it dosent even smell-its quite intresting to see what happened from a clipping 30 years ago,, or a picture of someone 20 years ago..lol

this is the true gift of christmas for our family -as it brings out many smiles every year and the real meaning of christmas--loving giving family and friends....Merry Christmas everyone!!! :huh:

Does it ever get any new popcorn?? That one's cool!!

My favorite Christmas ornament was one made by my late Mother. She used to make very tiny and delicate manger scenes in "blown" or cleaned out eggs. I was given one before her passing when I was 17.

Due to a bitter divorce, my ex destroyed it about 6 years ago.

When some of my geocaching friends learned of this a few years ago, they found someone else who also made this type of ornament, and had one made for me and surprised me with it at one of our geo-club meetings.

Yeah...I cried.

Geocaching has given me some wonderful friendships!

Here it is in it's case that my wife made:

DSC03322.jpg

DSC03323.jpg

DSC03324.jpg

Edited by Hockeyhick

d0573a4f-04ec-4a81-b111-32102c896280.jpg

The ornament above is the last existing christmas ornament from my greatgrandmother, it was gifted to me by my grandmother quite a while ago and I treasure it a lot. :D

I have not put it up on a christmastree in a long time, but I am gonna change that when I get the chance, I want it to be secure :)

It is not really great looking and not even in best shape, but it is very special as there belong many memories to it. :)

f67672b5-0933-4247-b3a7-f0aed9a4dc5a.jpgThis is an ornament I bought for my Boxer dog "King" , a few years before he died at the age of 13. Eventhough he's been gone for 8 years now, I still hang it on the tree in his memory. It reminds me of all the times we shared hiking in the woods before I discovered geocaching, and I wish he could be here with me today. He would love it! Edited by Arrow One

Hah, most of mine are in shipment too. They should be here soon.

I have to say that I have given up the dream of a 'coordinated' Christmas tree long ago. You know they look really neat in the stores and everything but I prefer to have my decorations mismatched for the simple reason that when I look at each decoration I know where it came from and it tells a story or has a special meaning.

This year, because we don't have our ornaments yet I did buy some special ones for the kids. They are Australian christmas ornaments featuring kangaroos, kookaburras, koalas, wombats and also just one in the shape of Australia. When they are grown up the Aussie ornaments can be part of a collection of memories for their own Christmas trees.

Here is something we will miss this year and I've searched the stores but couldn't find one...

Every year we go to my parents house for Christmas and my sister hides a special ornament on the tree for my kids to find. It is a glass pickle ornament. Whoever finds the pickle is the first to open a gift Christmas morning. Believe me, it's not easy and keeps them entertained for a while. :D

glasspickle.jpg

Edited by gardengorilla

this is the true gift of christmas for our family -as it brings out many smiles every year and the real meaning of christmas--loving giving family and friends....Merry Christmas everyone!!! :)

NOPE!!!! ITS OLD AS $#@$#,,hehe, :D I think the popcorn is falling apart off the string by now,,,havent seen it in 2 yrs,as its in another state right now...

Ive asked around for a pic of it but no one has one yet... :)

that ive talked to might i add...

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

oh my lovely stories! thx for a great cointest eric. I shall get motivated and haul out the xmas tree and start baking. This is the first year my eldest is not at home and I was rather reluctant to get it out.

Long story but for many years the xmas tree was his especial toy - his grandmother gave him her old tree and all the ornaments when we moved interstate. he would take it out and just decorate it like a kid with a dollhouse - was always xmas at our house! The year he turned 12 i think it was he was doing up the tree and noticing he was looking DOWN on it to put the angel on top said quite seriously " Mum the xmas tree has shrunk" !!!

Should have seen the tears in his eyes when he realised the tree hadn't shrunk but he had grown. waaah ! we bought him a bigger tree so he could feel small again - that's part of the reason no tree up yet - there really isn't any room for the new version.

I have to cook our favourite decoration - gingerbread men. They are very funny in australia it gets very hot. The first year I made them there was a funny sound of plop plop from the tree when the gingerbread sort of melted through the string holding it and the dog got the lot!

Mine isn't really an ornament but it's a tree topper. When my husband and I celebrated our first Christmas together 13 years ago, my boys from a previous marriage were just babies (1 & 3 years) but he went all out in helping me get everything ready for them for Christmas. We got the tree all decorated and realized that we didn't have a topper for it and without one it looked quite sad. So we bundled up the boys and headed out to find one. We hunted and hunted for the right one. Neither of us wanted a traditional star and the only angels left anywhere were even more sad looking than the tree was. We finally found a lone porcelain santa sitting on a shelf. He wasn't really designed to be a topper but his base would let us use him as one. We all really liked him and figured he would work until we found a topper we liked better. We brought him home and my 3 year old carefully helped place him on top of the tree. The following year both boys helped. And every year since then, the Santa has been carefully unpacked and my husband and boys have placed him on top of our tree. We started the tradition that each of us picks out a new ornament each year so our tree is always changing. But even though we've looked at other toppers, none is quite right to take the place of honor that this santa has held on top of our tree and in our memories each and every year.

DSCN0218.JPG

I suppose I'm probably disqualified because I don't have a pic of my fav ornament. All my Christmas stuff is in boxes in my garage at my house in Colorado that just won't sell...anyway...it's of a cheap plastic bell with a 3D santa inside it...anyway when I was little I insisted on putting it on the very bottom of the tree...that way when Santa put the presents under the tree he would ring the bell, I would hear him and I could do downstairs and see him! Unfortunately I was a very sound sleeper! lol.

My other favorite Christmas decoration is our Angel tree topper. My brother made it in grade school. It's very fragile now as it's very old and it was made out of cardboard and other "grade school" material. My brother died when he was 16, so it's very special to my family. It was always the last thing on the tree when we decorated. I think that my mom has it now in storage (she doesn't put up a tree a lot anymore since it's just her and it's more hassle than not), but I know that it will always bring back great memories.

Hah, most of mine are in shipment too. They should be here soon.

I have to say that I have given up the dream of a 'coordinated' Christmas tree long ago. You know they look really neat in the stores and everything but I prefer to have my decorations mismatched for the simple reason that when I look at each decoration I know where it came from and it tells a story or has a special meaning.

This year, because we don't have our ornaments yet I did buy some special ones for the kids. They are Australian christmas ornaments featuring kangaroos, kookaburras, koalas, wombats and also just one in the shape of Australia. When they are grown up the Aussie ornaments can be part of a collection of memories for their own Christmas trees.

Here is something we will miss this year and I've searched the stores but couldn't find one...

Every year we go to my parents house for Christmas and my sister hides a special ornament on the tree for my kids to find. It is a glass pickle ornament. Whoever finds the pickle is the first to open a gift Christmas morning. Believe me, it's not easy and keeps them entertained for a while. ;)

glasspickle.jpg

Yeh that is the one we mentioned about and hanve on our tree also :santa:

f67672b5-0933-4247-b3a7-f0aed9a4dc5a.jpgThis is an ornament I bought for my Boxer dog "King" , a few years before he died at the age of 13. Eventhough he's been gone for 8 years now, I still hang it on the tree in his memory. It reminds me of all the times we shared hiking in the woods before I discovered geocaching, and I wish he could be here with me today. He would love it!

now this story makes me cry.

We can't take a picture either as our ornaments are all in storage yet, but we have a family tradition where we hang a pickle on the tree. It represents our German Heritage. Every year the Pickle is hidden on the Christmas tree and the first kid to find it get a extra present on Christmas Morning.

Here is the picture

290b701a-74d8-428b-a8aa-1f118aa57a99.jpg

I loved this idea! The other day we were out shopping and I mentioned it to mom. The sales girl overheard me and said "We do that at our house too and we sell those pickle ornaments here!" We thought it sounded really fun so we got one of the ornaments and will surprise everyone on Christmas morning. :D

Here is the picture

I loved this idea! The other day we were out shopping and I mentioned it to mom. The sales girl overheard me and said "We do that at our house too and we sell those pickle ornaments here!" We thought it sounded really fun so we got one of the ornaments and will surprise everyone on Christmas morning. :D

Here is the picture

Feliz Navidad, now that is so cool. We will be so excited to hear what the kids think of that. Please do let us know :D

f67672b5-0933-4247-b3a7-f0aed9a4dc5a.jpgThis is an ornament I bought for my Boxer dog "King" , a few years before he died at the age of 13. Eventhough he's been gone for 8 years now, I still hang it on the tree in his memory. It reminds me of all the times we shared hiking in the woods before I discovered geocaching, and I wish he could be here with me today. He would love it!

I feel your pain :D Cowboy has only been gone 8 months and sometimes I still think I see him but when I look again he isn't there. Maybe his spirit? I have an old chair outside that was 'his' chair he would lay in on summer nights cause it was cooler outside (Tristin as a puppy tore it to shreds) and I have yet to take it to the dump just can't bring myself to do it. I have my new elf coinament to honor him in spirit this year :D I love yours thanks for sharing it.

tsun

Thanks for the compliments on my ornament. Its the one that means the most. "King" was the best dog I ever had. He was so gentile and I could take him anywhere and always did. He loved to go hiking with me and would "bound" after deer to play with them. It was funny to see with him all stiff legged and the doggie smile on his face. I miss him so, but I'll aways have his memories and I still love him in my heart.

So in the past week or so, Ive been seeing signal stockings poping up every where,, well I think the same person sent me something a lil bit special as I had her on one of my missions for Christmas. Im thinking no one else has one of theese and nott sure if anyone will.. I present to you to drool on, :) ,,,

my signal present!!!! I LOVE IT!!!6530cf9a-6906-40c4-80c9-c3d7a4bc86d6.jpg

I have a collection of ornaments but sorry I do not have a picture there in stoage. I been saving Bell ceramic ornaments that you get from the Bank every year when you open up a Christmas fund since from a kid. These are different every year and will be woth some money down the road if not already. They are actually to heavy to hang on a tree they are so heavy but still one of my favorite ornaments till today. Anyone else remember ever getting these?

DSC01299.jpg

My kids also receive Christmas ornaments every year. This one is from Walt Disney World in Orlando.

We have quite a few very special ornaments since our kids are age 4 and 8. The 4 year old is a boy and this is his. He loves Geocaching and constantly asks me when we can go "find it" those are his prefered words for geocaching.

IMG_6155.jpg

This is my favorite sad, little ornament because it was given to me by the then editor of The Coffee Pot, the yearbook at Coffee High School that I became editor of the next year. Shows my age, doesn't it? :D

IMG_6191.jpg

Here are my six favorites. My mother also made the ornaments like yours did. The big pink one is the most elaborate one she ever made. The bottom embellishment fell off years ago. The pink teardrop and angel I just like for no particular reason. I've always just thought the bubblegum machine with the glass and metal is way cool. I like the Bison because, well, you know. . . ;)

Here are the ornaments with different lighting.

IMG_6184.jpg

Eric wrote:

Most importantly this isn't really about the contest, it's about posting some nice photos and reading some good stories.

My favorite Christmas tree ornament was given to me by my parents when I was about 12 years old. It had belonged to my dads mom, “Grandmother Bradburn” who passed away 2 years before I was born. It's a bell shaped angel approximately 2 inches high.

ornament1.jpg

At the time of my grandmothers death, mom & dad had 2 children; my sister who was 16 years old and my brother, then 12. They were hoping to have 2 addition children so when her estate was settled they packed up 2 boxes of things and labeled them “for Baby 1” and “for Baby 2”. Around the time of my 12th birthday my mother presented me with both boxes, explaining that there would be no “Baby 2”. The boxes contained mostly glassware and has several Christmas items, in addition to the angle bell ornament. It seem this was her favorite holiday and she decorated quite extensively for it.

Also included was a beautiful pink luster cup and saucer that had a Christmas scene and “Merry Christmas” written in gold (in lower right cornor of photo below). I was so taken with it that I started collecting the “Merry Christmas cups” from the early 1900’s. Today I have about 20, displayed year around in my dining room. Thank you, Grandmother Bradburn.

ornament2.jpg

Here are my two favorite Christmas ornaments. They were both made by a lady that my dad worked with when I was born. According to my dad, they are made from homemade playdough; you know the kind where you mix water, flour and salt into dough. She shaped them first, then when they were dry she decorated them and then sprayed some kind of clear sealer over them. This year they will be 23yrs old (same as me!), and have been my favorite ornaments as long as I can remember.

af60140f.jpg

0745e34c.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Tamara

This is an ornament I made up with various stuff to add a seasonal touch to our door. On the stick are sitting two little elves, which are probably my favourite ornaments. I got them when I was a child, the circumstance is not very relevant now, but I've always loved them for the cute little creatures they are! The left one is holding a little fir tree and the right one has a crown.

2295582680028999818S425x425Q85.jpg

And so, they come out every year at a different place!

this is the true gift of christmas for our family -as it brings out many smiles every year and the real meaning of christmas--loving giving family and friends....Merry Christmas everyone!!! :D

NOPE!!!! ITS OLD AS $#@$#,,hehe, ;) I think the popcorn is falling apart off the string by now,,,havent seen it in 2 yrs,as its in another state right now...

Ive asked around for a pic of it but no one has one yet... :blink:

that ive talked to might i add...

I cant belive it,, no one in my family has a pic of it,, or can find one for that matter,,7 aunts-8 uncles ,,no one can find one,,,hummm bummer,, tis a good one. ill try to get one if i see it this year

Hello to all!

Unfortunatelly I do not have any photos to show of my favorite Christmas ornament! ;)

It was the favorite tree ball of the family! It was a big glass ball we used to put in our tree! It was not a new one! My mother bought it in 1955!!! She was not even married yet!!!! Actually she was only 15 years old and it was the first ball she bought!!!

Every year this ball was the first ball to be put on the tree! My mother was puting this ball, as a tradition, so we could start decorating the tree!

Such a beautiful ball!!! We kept it like a treasure!!

Unfortunatelly things are not always good! :blink:

On July we had a big earthquacke in Rhodes! We didn't realized anything until now, that we opened the boxes with the decorations for the Christmas tree! the ball was broken!!!! :D

No more stories and adventures for this ball!

After so many years.... :D

Maybe in the future we will have something else as a favorite Christmas ornament! Maybe...

In case I find an old photo of a tree, I will post it to show you the ball!

thank you for the cointest and Mery Christmas to all of you!!!! :lol:

Unfortunatelly things are not always good! ;)

On July we had a big earthquacke in Rhodes! We didn't realized anything until now, that we opened the boxes with the decorations for the Christmas tree! the ball was broken!!!! :blink:

Oh, no! Anyone who not only loses a cherished family heirloom like that, but lives through an earthquake too, deserves to win a cointest, even without a photo.

I don't have a photo, so this is just a story, not a cointest entry, but my favorite Christmas ornament is my poor bent and tattered tree-top star:

When I was young my parents always had an artificial tree - it had shiny silver needles, shiny coloured balls, and a spotlight that changed from yellow to red to green to purple (yes, purple). Very chic, no doubt, but I didn't care for it at all. I always wanted a REAL tree. One that smelled like sap and shed needles all over the carpet. So when I moved into my first apartment I was determined to have the Christmas tree of my dreams. It was small, because that was all I could afford, but it had a string of lights, some hand-made Christmas ornaments, and a star on top - a really cheap star, made of gold tinsel and wire, but since I couldn't afford to buy an angel it would have to do. For more than twenty-five Christmases we put that star on top of the tree, and every year I would think about some day replacing it with a beautiful angel. About five years ago I decided it was time to finally buy my angel, and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to choose. There were so many beautiful angels that I couldn't decide, so once again out came the poor old star. But for some reason it didn't annoy me any more, and I realized that if I did buy an angel, the star would never be on top of the tree again. Somehow that just didn't seem right when it had seen so many Christmases with our family. Ironically, we haven't put up a Christmas tree the last few years, so that's why I can't post a picture.

Wow, great pics and stories!

Please remember this really isn't about the contest as much as the pictures and the stories.

Since I can't make everyone winners I have picked these three.

Please contact me via my profile so I can get your coin sent out to you. I have decided to post a winner for 3 different categories.

Funniest: Gardengorilla

The Pickle story is funny. I actually had to look that up and read about the tradition. I wish my kids were younger now as that would be fun to do

Prettiest: DJ.J.ROCK

Those ornaments are beautiful. They look like the belong in a museum.

Most Touching: Hockeyhick

This was the toughest to choose. The family tradition stories are very touching but I decided to go with her story because you expect ornaments to be passed down from family members. To have friends step up and do something like that was very touching.

Thank you all for the great stories and pictures!

Eric K

Hello to all!

Unfortunatelly I do not have any photos to show of my favorite Christmas ornament! ;)

It was the favorite tree ball of the family! It was a big glass ball we used to put in our tree! It was not a new one! My mother bought it in 1955!!! She was not even married yet!!!! Actually she was only 15 years old and it was the first ball she bought!!!

Every year this ball was the first ball to be put on the tree! My mother was puting this ball, as a tradition, so we could start decorating the tree!

Such a beautiful ball!!! We kept it like a treasure!!

Unfortunatelly things are not always good! :D

On July we had a big earthquacke in Rhodes! We didn't realized anything until now, that we opened the boxes with the decorations for the Christmas tree! the ball was broken!!!! :ph34r:

After so many years.... :lol:

Maybe in the future we will have something else as a favorite Christmas ornament! Maybe...

In case I find an old photo of a tree, I will post it to show you the ball!

thank you for the cointest and Mery Christmas to all of you!!!! :P

If you still have the pieces, you can put them inside of a new clear glass ball, and cintinue to hang that one?? I have often given gifts of a clear glass ball with some special trinkets dropped inside.