Coalcache Geocoin

coalcache

:D There's a new coin in the neighborhood. Coalcache is my name, geocaching is the game. I am hand made, individually, from Coal average size is 2" diameter by 1/4" height.

The supply is limited, at a cost of $12 each.

All Are Unactivated.

Shipping is $2 for first and $1 for each additional in US.

Email comments and orders through my profile.

PayPal accepted.

coalcache@gmail.com

http://picasaweb.google.com/coalcache/Unti...896609913569282

http://picasaweb.google.com/coalcache/Unti...896609913569298

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

As you say they are "unactivated", I assume they are trackable.

(Thinks to self - I'm sure there is something called "activated charcoal" . . . )

Icon?

Cost to ship overseas?

As you've asked for comments through your profile, I've sent this comment that way too.

This does sound a bit like a joke (no offense if it isn't), but considering the recent updates to the rules, it could probably be done. Anthracite is pretty hard, almost rocklike, unlike dusty and brittle charcoal. Assuming the carving is of high quality, and Groundspeak approved and sold tracking numbers, I don't see why this couldn't work. Interesting.

:blink: There's a new coin in the neighborhood. Coalcache is my name, geocaching is the game. I am hand made, individually, from Coal average size is 2" diameter by 1/4" height.

All Are Unactivated.

PayPal accepted.

coalcache@gmail.com

Here's the graphics photo, the coin is Black and the design is hard to see.

http://picasaweb.google.com/coalcache/Unti...140147444154434

Edited by coalcache

:blink: There's a new coin in the neighborhood. Coalcache is my name, geocaching is the game. I am hand made, individually, from Coal average size is 2" diameter by 1/4" height.

All Are Unactivated.

PayPal accepted.

coalcache@gmail.com

All Are Unactivated.

PayPal accepted.

Link to coin album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/coalcache/UntitledAlbum

coalcache@gmail.com

That's not the actual coin, it's a digital rendering.

The dark photos are of the actual coin that I made and photographed. The ligther photos are the same photos as the dark ones, only lighten to show detail. The coins are made from black coal (mined in southwest VA.) and resin

That's not the actual coin, it's a digital rendering.

I added form photos of the coalcache geocoin to the album. They were difficult to photograph.

Thanks for adding the pics. Where would the tracking numbers be located on the coin? Can you describe how you make these...whenever I think of coal, I think of charcoal and what a big black mess it is to handle!

I made comments to this thread earlier which were not supportive of the premise to explore new coin designs and materials, and I would like to apologize to Coalcache for my unwarranted sarcasm. My limited experience with coal led me to believe that this was not a serious posting of a new coin material. I enthusiastically support the use of materials other than metal for geocoins and in the spirit of what I have read from other posters to this forum, I should have been more supportive. Having said that, I would respectfully like to offer a few comments on the coin.

If you're going to do a coal-themed coin, I think the design of the compass rose and pick and shovel is a great choice, but I've got to tell you honestly, that I think such a coin is too dark for most people's taste and would only sell to a limited audience. You would have a hard time photographing it for those interested in selling on Ebay or for trade and I think people like to see some color in general, even if only subtle striations as if the coin were made of stone. The exception to this being perhaps coins (or trackable gems) made in a single color or clear.

Again, I'm sorry

Edited by nashuan

I'm thinking Oreos - they would be pretty hard to photograph also - but in the hand I am sure the design will be visible. I like the design and the novel use of a different material for a coin, not sure how durable they would be out in the wild, but then it isn't likely to leave my collection of 'special' coins. Order sent and looking forward to receiving these coins.

I find these coins very interesting? Both my grandfather's were coal miners and I would be interested in more information about them before purchasing? Exactly how do you make them? Are they coated in something so that the coal does not come off on your hands? Are they easily breakable? Did you purchase a bunch of tracking numbers from Groundspeak to put onto the coins? Please give a little more information and I will be happy to purchase some.

Not my coin, and mine isn't here yet . . . but I suspect I know something of how they might be made.

As you travel through WV and SW VA, the various tourist shops sell coal carvings. They are made from coal and resin and appear to be reasonably durable. When I asked about the materials used to make the coins, I was told that they were made from coal and resin, so I presume that they are similar. (The WV coin sold by hogwild was meant to look like a coal carving.)

So what is coal and resin like? Think of the bonded marble doo-dads that can often be seen for sale. They are made of ground marble and resin and are cast in molds. I'll know when I get my coin, but I expect that it will be modestly shiny, relatively lightweight, and pretty unique among geocoins.

All that said, It would be nice if coalcache came in and described the coins and process. I don't have any guess as to durability. When mine comes in, if it is durable I may order another to release.

Edited by tokencollector

My coin arrived today. It is different. I've attached a picture below. I expected it to be light, but it weighed less than I expected. I've also included an except from an e-mail describing to me how the coin was made.

"The CoalCache coin is made from coal and resin. the coal was mined in Southwest Virginia. I pulverize the coal and mix it with resin that is then poured in a mold. Every step, the design, prototype, mold and coin has been done by me. The process has taken about 3 months to complete. They are made in the USA at my home in Southwest Virginia. The coins are very durable, I have thrown them on the floor ( wood and concrete )without damage. I did manage to break one with a hammer. They also float in water. They will not rub off."

coal%20coin.jpg

My coin arrived today. It is different. I've attached a picture below. I expected it to be light, but it weighed less than I expected. I've also included an except from an e-mail describing to me how the coin was made.

"The CoalCache coin is made from coal and resin. the coal was mined in Southwest Virginia. I pulverize the coal and mix it with resin that is then poured in a mold. Every step, the design, prototype, mold and coin has been done by me. The process has taken about 3 months to complete. They are made in the USA at my home in Southwest Virginia. The coins are very durable, I have thrown them on the floor ( wood and concrete )without damage. I did manage to break one with a hammer. They also float in water. They will not rub off."

coal%20coin.jpg

Did you try putting it in water? That floats in water sounds pretty cool! :)

Wow a very unique coin and I love the concept of it floating on water, if you embedded a magnetized metal wire it could be a compass (now there is an idea for Version 2 :) ) My only thought is that it seems a bit expensive for the materials involved. The coal is probably free, so we are talking asmall bit of resin and the cost of labor. But I applaud thinking outside of the coin.

Edit: BTW, great picture TokenCollector, it really captures the coin.

Edited by ZSandmann

Wow a very unique coin and I love the concept of it floating on water, if you embedded a magnetized metal wire it could be a compass (now there is an idea for Version 2 :) ) My only thought is that it seems a bit expensive for the materials involved. The coal is probably free, so we are talking asmall bit of resin and the cost of labor. But I applaud thinking outside of the coin.

Edit: BTW, great picture TokenCollector, it really captures the coin.

That's a freaking brilliant idea! I'm wonderig if you would have to "counterweight" the other side to offset the weight of the magnetic wire.

coal%20coin.jpg

Did you try putting it in water? That floats in water sounds pretty cool! :)

Great pic of a difficult subject to photograph. I'm glad to see that this topic is getting some attention; I really didn't think it would take off at all. Kudos to you CoalCache.

I got mine yesterday. These are truly unique and very nice. There are many times when I believe a more "basic" looking geocoin without all the glitter and glitz can look better then others. This one has a nice raw, "working man's" feel to it.

Now to see if it floats tonight. All I have to do is throw it in my back yard with all the rain we have had!!

All Are Unactivated.

PayPal accepted.

coalcache@gmail.com

visit coalcache.com