iPhone App

ktemplin

Ok, so I have been using a Magellen Explorist 600 for a while now. I always hated it due to how long it took forever to load all the way points. Once we were onsite it was accurate as hell! I said all that to say this, I finally broke down a bought a iPhone (Geocache app put me over the edge) with the hopes to use it only.

Well it also has it's flaws, but I found using the two together is the best way to go. I will use the iPhone to lookup the next closest, look at the description, logs and hints if needed. I will then take the GPS coordinates from the iPhone and plug it into the Magellen.

So here is what I think is good and bad about the app:

Good

1. Fast lookups
  2. Up to date information
  3. Slimmed down, no extra fluff

Bad

1. Unable to enter new logs
  2. Unable to log trackables
  3. Sucks down the battery
  4. Not as accurate (not that it's the apps fault, but just a comment about using it)
  5. Prompted for try to locate every click after you specify "Don't Allow"
  6. If you have to leave the app (I.E. someone calls) the app will not bring up the last page

Over all I like it, the biggest gripes is the unable to log directly from the app. I know I can go to http://wap.geocaching.com to log it, but that is a seperate app. Plus with no copy and paste function, even harder.

So fellow Geocachers, what do you think about it? How do we suggestupdates? How to we check for planned updates?

Edited by ktemplin

I have been looking at the iPhone app also and have been thinking about getting it but the inability to log seams like a fatal flaw to me. Also the inability to be able to enter your own coordinates to track is a serious limitation if your trying to find either a multi or a puzzle cache. As it is it seams only suited to going for that FTF when you have left your GPS at home.

Are TPTB purposly limiting the iPhone app to not disturb there friends at Garmin and Magellan?

Are TPTB purposly limiting the iPhone app to not disturb there friends at Garmin and Magellan?

The iPhone will never be able to compete with Garmin and Magellan units that are designed specifically for GPS. The iPhone GPSr is not even comparable to my Garmin Vista HCx. In addition, for some strange reason, Apple has really limited developers and put them in a box (so much for thinking outside the box Apple!)

I use my iPhone when I need to look up hints or get up-to-date information off the cache page.

IMO - At this point, the iPhone is not capable of being a stand-alone geocaching device. (not to the fault of Groundspeak)

Become a premium member. Get pocket queries in groups of 200. Use gsak and put caches in 200 at a time. Make multiple PQ's for different areas. Load them as a different database in gsak load them 200 at a time into the 600. Have thousands loaded at a time. Use the Iphone for looking up cache page if need be.

Is Groundspeak going to open a forum on the appication topics (Thinking outside the box that more / different platforms to come)? I want to ask them if logging of both the cache and TB is comming.

I think I will stay a two device cacher, but instant logging in the field is awsome!

:huh: I have no trouble caching with only my iphone. With the use of the Groundspeak app and another that allows me to load PQ's. Why would i need a $400 GPSr when i have one that also is a phone, address book, internet browser and an ipod for the long trekks to those caches.

:ph34r: I have no trouble caching with only my iphone. With the use of the Groundspeak app and another that allows me to load PQ's. Why would i need a $400 GPSr when i have one that also is a phone, address book, internet browser and an ipod for the long trekks to those caches.

I echo this...we use the iPhone exclusively, and are loving it. It has it's challenges, yes, but that's just another fun dynamic that we get to have when we go hunting for caches.

I've heard alot of people complain about the accuracy of the iphone gps, and I have to disagree with all of them. I have all three of the geocaching apps, and I tend to prefer geopher and the "unauthorized" app. Both regularly lead me right to the cache with accuracy thats more than adequate for geocaching. I think sometimes people get upset when they find a cache and their gps doesn't say 1ft in the "distance to cache" box. The cache locations are only as accurate as the person who placed the cache, their gps, and their ability to use that gps. I've found about 20-30 caches with my iphone, and dont recall a situation where I was ever more than 14ft or so away from where the iphone said it would be when I found the cache.

I've been working with some other beta testers on the most recent update to the iPhone software and I can say, from what I see now, the update coming will be good.

You'll be able to log "field notes" from the phone that are attached to your account. When you log into your account, you click on the field note, and then complete the log. Makes it MUCH easier to just make a quick note about a cache, then fill the log out later when you're in front of a PC.

I have replaced using cachemate with the iPhone app because it gives me everything I need when I am on the trail. Hints, logs, etc. It's all there and it's one less device I need to carry with me.

The accuracy issue is one I have seen. I have never been able to get the phone to say I was any closer than 17 meters from a cache. However, Jeremy gave a pretty good explanation of what he thought the readings on the phone meant compared to a regular GPS in another post I did here.

I would still rather use the phone as an extra add-on to my regular GPS but it still provides some real good functionality.

They're latest version 02 of the geocaching application has a Major Error!

It lists the coords of geocaches with the West Coord first and the North coord second. For people that like to put the coords into their GPS from the iphone it can be really confusing. We hope Groundspeak will fix this mistake soon!

CaneDNR

CaneDNR: Listing incorrect coords would be "major error." Listing correct coords in a different way than you like for copying them by hand? Maybe an annoyance, but hardly worth an exclamation point. Did you provide feedback to the developer?

Edited by lee_rimar