Shape File .shp to Garmin .GPX

JCRL

I have received a Shape

not file (.shp) with all the Snowmobile trails for New Brunswick which is approximately 8 meg. I have a Garmin GPS 60 CSx, and would like to be able to load these trails into my 60CSx the same as any other Garmin map set so I can see the snowmobile trails on a map of the province.

The originator of this file uses two or three different types of GPS receivers.

A couple are high end ($6000 units) manufactured by Trimble, the other is a cheapy ($300 Canadian Tire version) made by Garmin, model 12. Both of these units will accept shape files. / the originator

I have done some reading on this at this site http://www.highspeedsat.com/satellite-gps/...d6527f24774701a, but it makes no sense to me.

I'm a little nervous downloading trial s/w if needed to do the conversion, and for a one time conversion, not worth purchasing it to find it doesn't work.

Has anyone done this? I can send you the 8 meg shape file if that helps. I have a 1 gig memory card for my unit, so if I can get this shape file converted to a Garmin format, the size should not be an issue.

If anyone can lend a hand or some advise, would be greatly appreciated.

Tx

lockharr@nbnet.nb.ca

Your question is a little confusing.

In the thread title you say "to Garmin .GPX" and in the body of your post you want to know how to convert the shapefile into a garmin map. To my knowledge and experience these are very different tasks. I'll simply answer both.

To convert any shapefile into a GPX file there is a free utility called DNRGarmin. This utility is rather straight forward and will convert shapefiles into GPX, GBD, KML and many other formats.

To make a MapSource map from a shapefile you will need to follow the instruction at this link: Custom Maps. You would probably want to make what is known as a "transparent" map to overlay on top of topographic or street maps already on your unit. You may also want to play around with customizing the color and or pattern of the snowmobile trails to make them stand out. This is known as the TYP and you can create/edit the appearance of features with a program called GenTYP.

It may seem a bit complicated at first, and that's mainly because it is. But with a little playing around and trial and error you will end up making some really good looking maps that will be the envy of all your friends. Good Luck!

Edited by yogazoo

I have received a Shape

not file (.shp) with all the Snowmobile trails for New Brunswick which is approximately 8 meg. I have a Garmin GPS 60 CSx, and would like to be able to load these trails into my 60CSx the same as any other Garmin map set so I can see the snowmobile trails on a map of the province.

A couple are high end ($6000 units) manufactured by Trimble, the other is a cheapy ($300 Canadian Tire version) made by Garmin, model 12. Both of these units will accept shape files. / the originator

I have done some reading on this at this site http://www.highspeedsat.com/satellite-gps/...d6527f24774701a, but it makes no sense to me.

I'm a little nervous downloading trial s/w if needed to do the conversion, and for a one time conversion, not worth purchasing it to find it doesn't work.

Has anyone done this? I can send you the 8 meg shape file if that helps. I have a 1 gig memory card for my unit, so if I can get this shape file converted to a Garmin format, the size should not be an issue.

Tx

lockharr@nbnet.nb.ca

You do not have to save the .shp file as a garmin map sheet to view them in your gps unit. You can send the shp file to your gps unit as as a saved track. DNR Garmin or Oziexplorer (plus probably other programs) will allow you to send the trails to your gps unit. What program are you using now to send tracks and waypoints to your GPS unit.

Kenai

I have received a Shape

Tx

lockharr@nbnet.nb.ca

You do not have to save the .shp file as a garmin map sheet to view them in your gps unit. You can send the shp file to your gps unit as as a saved track. DNR Garmin or Oziexplorer (plus probably other programs) will allow you to send the trails to your gps unit. What program are you using now to send tracks and waypoints to your GPS unit.

Kenai

I use Mapsource Ver. 6.13.4 "to send tracks and waypoints to my GPS unit".

Do I open Mapsource then open this shape file into it plus the needed Topo Canada & MetroGuide Canada Road maps?

Tx for reply.

Mapsource will not use or recognize shape files so you have to use one of the other programs I mentioned. If the file was a bit smaller I could convert it to a gpx file for you send it back to you but 8 mb is a bit too big to email. If you know how to zip files using winzip or other programs it would probaly zip it to a file small enough to email.

Kenai

From what you say, it sounds like what you actually need to do is convert the shapfile into a transparent trail map. Thatis pretty easy to do and there are various directions out there for it. When you do this you have a trail map that will show over your other map. You can install the map on your GPS just like you install your map of the provence. Just load both of them.

You do not have to save the .shp file as a garmin map sheet to view them in your gps unit. You can send the shp file to your gps unit as as a saved track. DNR Garmin or Oziexplorer (plus probably other programs) will allow you to send the trails to your gps unit.

There is a limit to the number of points you can have in a track so this option probable will not fly for an 8Meg SHP file. Make a map overlay as suggested.

Plus if you did just upload a track then you have to be sure to turn track recording off on your GPS or the end of your track would merge into your movements, and the start of your track would slowly disappear point by point over time.

Plus if you did just upload a track then you have to be sure to turn track recording off on your GPS or the end of your track would merge into your movements, and the start of your track would slowly disappear point by point over time.

Trainlove.

I was on a day long trip and as I crossed the mornings path I noticed that portion of the track was disappearing point by point. It was all there on SD card and when saved at the end of the trip. Others on the trip said this does not happen on their Garmins and they say they have not changed any settings. What it happening? Is their some setting I can change to keep an entire days track on the screen?

Thanks

Is their some setting I can change to keep an entire days track on the screen?

I'm not a Garmin user but I'd think it's something like Track Queue, or Wraparound or something.

To guarranty you don't have this happen if you can't change a setting somewhere, is to clear out the complete track at the start of the day and hopefully not have it overrun the limit. One way to guarranty that is to have Auto for the setting. On my Magellan Auto Detailled will take a lot of points while Auto will take fewer. You could even use a time or distance setting if you know how many points your GPS can take, and how long you expect to be out.

I have received a Shape

Tx

lockharr@nbnet.nb.ca

Email file to me and I'll make a custom map you can upload to your Garmin.

Send to cf-700@hotmail.com

You do not have to save the .shp file as a garmin map sheet to view them in your gps unit. You can send the shp file to your gps unit as as a saved track. DNR Garmin or Oziexplorer (plus probably other programs) will allow you to send the trails to your gps unit.

There is a limit to the number of points you can have in a track so this option probable will not fly for an 8Meg SHP file. Make a map overlay as suggested.

Another optipon in the ozixplorer program is to filter the number of track points down to a reasonable number . I have taken 40 000 points in one track and filtered it down to 4000 and then sent it to my gps unit as a saved track. Youy lose some of the detail and a bit of distance due to the filtering process but the track still remains relatively accurate if you are using t as a guide to follow while you are out riding.

Kenai

Back from the dead after 1.5 years!

;)

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as the OP. I received a shapefile of NYS snowmobile maps, and I've been trying for two days to convert them it into something I can use. kml, gdb, or any other format that GPSBabel will work with would be great.

I've tried shp2kml through MapwindowGIS, and it looks like it would work but I'm limited to 500 points. I really don't want to buy a piece of software that I'm only going to ever use a single time.

I've also tried DNR Garmin, but that errored out on me, saying that I needed valid lat/long inputs...???

If anyone has any other suggestions that would be appreciated. The shapefile in question in about 2.5 megs.

Thanks!

Unless they've changed it, this can be done with the free version of OziExplorer. These directions are for an old version, but hopefully they will be close:

1. Start OziExplorer and load the blank map or a map of the area for the shapefile

you wish to convert.

2. Choose Load, Import ESRI Shape File, then select Polylines and Polygons.

3. In the Shape File Import dialog box, choose Import.

4. In the Import Shape File dialog box, select a .shp file and click Open.

5. In the Shape File Import/Export Options dialog box, enter the correct Datum and

Position Format, and click OK.

6. In the Shape File Attributes dialog box, click Continue.

7. Close the Shape File Import dialog box.

8. Click Save, then Save Track to File.

9. Name the track file and click Save.

;)

I'm having EXACTLY the same issue as the OP. I received a shapefile of NYS snowmobile maps, and I've been trying for two days to convert them it into something I can use. kml, gdb, or any other format that GPSBabel will work with would be great.

evilstevie, this is off your original quest, but have you seen these NYS Sled Maps? I see they are charging for these now if you feel it's worth the price for their mapset.

;)

evilstevie, this is off your original quest, but have you seen these NYS Sled Maps? I see they are charging for these now if you feel it's worth the price for their mapset.

There's a free version on that page that only has the trails: LINK Edited by coggins