Which GPS - 60CS or the 60CSX

CachinSpree

I am going to order me a new Garmin GPS but I am torn between the 60CS and the 60CSX. I like the compass addition on the CSX but I will probably never use it for what it is intended for. I live on the Texas gulf coast where it is flat. Anyway, other than the compass and price, are there any other advantages to the 60CSX over the 60CS. Will they both do turn-by-turn, or just the 60CSX. I want that also. I am new to the sport of geocaching and I am currently using my Magellan Sport Trac Pro Marine hand-held which has been outstanding at getting me to the caches. Usually within about 5' to 10'. Since I have never had any issues with any of my Magellan's (310, 315, & 3000) I am changing to the Garmin because of the downloading capabilities. It's a pain in the rear having to manually install every cache into my Sport Trac. Did I mention it was flat around here and I want be climbing any mountains? Which do you recommend, the 60CS or the 60CSX? Thanks - 69rrvert

Edited by 69rrvert

I had the 60CSX. i thought the compass was very useful at times. I had a magellan that did not have a compass and upgraded to the garmin 60csx. The compass was one of the reasons and I was glad. i live in Louisiana and it is very flat here. But have needed it on the trail her as well as when I have gone back packing. I say go with the 60csx.

Another note, I just upgraded to the Oregon 300 and I have City navigator and topo 2008 on it. This was a mistake upgrading. The 60csx is superior. only pluses to the oregon is 3d screens and touch.

Well the 60CS and the 60CSx are the same GPS with a different chipset in the X model. You definiatly want the X model.

Now if you are asking about the difference between a 60CX and and 60CSX that is a horse of a different color. The CSx model has sensors in it hence the S. The compass and altimeter are nice to have but not necessary. If you have a nice handheld compass the 60CX would be a nice choice.

That being said if you can afford the difference it has always been nice to use the built in compass in the CSX unit.

Other than the sensors they are identical units.

So in closing get on of the X models.

The 60cs (color with sensors) and the 60c (color) are old models. They both only have 56mb of map storage and an older crappier gps chipset. They were replaced with the 60csx and 60cx in the fall of 2005.

The 60csx (color, sensors, expandable memory) and the 60Cx (color, expandable memory) are much better units. They have Micro SD card slots for map storage, so you aren't limited to only 56mb of maps storage like the old models, you can install a 2gb micro SD and load the whole US of street maps easily. These newer models also have the SirfIII chipset that hold signal much better in the woods than the units they replace.

I wouldn't even consider buying the 60cs or 60c once I have used the 60csx and 60cx.

Thanks for the info. It looks like it will be the 60 CSx. Is there anything else that I may need to order. Like the map software or will the turn-by-turn work from the factory. Thanks - 69rrvert

You will also need to get maps to do turn by turn directions, City Navigator North America 2009 NT

you will also need to order a larger microSD card if you want to load a large area, I have the whole US loaded to a 2gb card.