Bigger than Palm, smaller than laptop and cheap

wingryder

What is being used out there to replace the Palm sized devices?

Is there a older pocket pc that could replace my old Palm.?? I like the palm but would like a bigger screen.

I have a decent laptop that I use with Mapsource but I need something between the two to get the cache descriptions on.

Older is just fine as long as it will have enough memory to display information on a good number of caches.

thanks

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

What is being used out there that to replace the Palm sized devices?

Is there a older pocket pc that could replace my old Palm.?? I like the palm but would like a bigger screen.

I have a decent laptop that I use with Mapsource but I need something between the two to get the cache descriptions on.

Older is just fine as long as it will have enough memory to display information on a good number of caches.

thanks

wingryder

I'm not sure what you consider bigger than a palm size device. I use a Axim 51v - a 320x240 size screen.

Not sure if anything would be bigger except maybe a sub-laptop - about 1/2 the size of a regular laptop - maybe a little less.

thanks

wingryder

whats wrong with a palm? Even the old IIIxe's could hold 1,000's of caches in 2 mb of memory. How many caches do you want on a hand held device? After a couple hundred I get tired of keeping them up to date and finding what I want.

Jim

Well you can buy a decent laptop running xp now for 100.00. It will do it.. but too big.

I want something one third the size of a laptop.. and stay around 100.00.or less.

Will something like the NEC Mobile pro 900 work..? it looks about the right size.

I have been using Palm 3xe at about 50.00 a pop. Works fine but screen just too small.

Lets say something at least double it.. or even better three times the size.

All it really needs to do is be able to display a html file downloaded from pocket queries (after spinning or whatever works for you. )

I would need enough memory for 200 plus html cache descriptions.

wingryder

What is being used out there that to replace the Palm sized devices?

thanks

wingryder

I'm not sure what you consider bigger than a palm size device. I use a Axim 51v - a 320x240 size screen.

Not sure if anything would be bigger except maybe a sub-laptop - about 1/2 the size of a regular laptop - maybe a little less.

Which program are you using on the Axim?

I've tried a few but haven't settled in on one.

Thanks,

captdave007

thanks

wingryder

whats wrong with a palm? Even the old IIIxe's could hold 1,000's of caches in 2 mb of memory. How many caches do you want on a hand held device? After a couple hundred I get tired of keeping them up to date and finding what I want.

Jim

only screen size

Some things to consider:

If you think the Palm screen is too small and hard to read, then you are probably only aware of the older black-and-white models. Test drive the T|X and see what you think about screen size after that. Just because it’s Palm does not automatically mean small screen. You get what you pay for.

Another thing to consider is getting a phone that does a bit more. If you are going to fork out some money for a PDA, consider a phone PDA combination that does what you want. I recently started using a Blackberry Curve with Mobipocket reader and find that I use that more than the Palm/Cachemate combination. If Cachemate were available for the Blackberry, I would probably switch completely. Depending on which carrier you use for cellphone service, you can even use it as the GPS.

Some things to consider:

If you think the Palm screen is too small and hard to read, then you are probably only aware of the older black-and-white models. Test drive the T|X and see what you think about screen size after that. Just because it’s Palm does not automatically mean small screen. You get what you pay for.

Another thing to consider is getting a phone that does a bit more. If you are going to fork out some money for a PDA, consider a phone PDA combination that does what you want. I recently started using a Blackberry Curve with Mobipocket reader and find that I use that more than the Palm/Cachemate combination. If Cachemate were available for the Blackberry, I would probably switch completely. Depending on which carrier you use for cellphone service, you can even use it as the GPS.

Hynr I just spend some time reading about the Palm TX . Size does look good.. but lots of unhappy folks with the durability.