OS maps and paperless caching for gpsmap 60CSx

bongobounty

Hi my husband has recently bought this machine and has done a few geocaches using it. Family and friends wish to buy him some maps to go with this but I am going around in circles reading information. I think he would prefer OS 1:25000 explorer or landranger maps. Can we use these or do we have to buy topo? I go with him geocaching and I would prefer if we could use paperless caching and have read a few threads were people say this is possible. He has a 128mb microsd card, should we buy something larger?

Can anyone help me to be sure which maps can be used with this machine and all files or software we need for paperless caching. Thanks for any help it is much apreciated.

Hi my husband has recently bought this machine and has done a few geocaches using it. Family and friends wish to buy him some maps to go with this but I am going around in circles reading information. I think he would prefer OS 1:25000 explorer or landranger maps. Can we use these or do we have to buy topo? I go with him geocaching and I would prefer if we could use paperless caching and have read a few threads were people say this is possible. He has a 128mb microsd card, should we buy something larger?

Can anyone help me to be sure which maps can be used with this machine and all files or software we need for paperless caching. Thanks for any help it is much apreciated.

You can only use Garmin maps with that GPSr. OS maps are not an option, sorry. There are some "feebies" about but I've never used them so can't offer any recommendations.

Garmin Topo will need a 2Gb card to load the whole of the UK.

Edited by Pharisee

Answers:-

Maps: Pharisee is correct above - you can't obtain OS landranger maps for the 60CSx. Garmin's own 'Topo GB' product is a substitute, but has a number of weaknesses and is ferociously expensive for what it is.

The reason you haven't seen many 'aftermarket' mapping products for the 60CSx is that it uses a proprietary map format. (There is no industry standard for electronic mapping, more's the pity.) As supplied, the unit comes with a 'basemap' which is, er... basic.

Detailed, street-level mapping can be bought from Garmin (City Navigator), but get it on DVD, not on a card.

Memory: A 128Mb card would probably store all of GB street mapping, but it's a tight squeeze these days. Suggest 256Mb as a minimum, 512 even better.

Paperless caching: The 60CSx has some facilities for this. From a GC.com cache page, you can send the info direct to a GPS (if it's connected to a PC), and this will set the cache icon correctly, load the co-ords and should include the hint. It is not a substitute for a printout of the whole cache page, which can be a problem with complex multis or puzzle caches that need the extra info.

Many experienced cachers (and myself) use a handheld GPS like the 60CSx, for on-the ground navigation, and a cheap-'n'-cheerful PDA or old palm device (you can pick e'em up for next to nowt on eBay) to store an offline database of cache info using applications like GSAK or Cachemate. (Google these to see how they work.)

Hope this helps,

-Wlw

Do you have Gsak? you can send 1000 waypoints and the hints to the garmin60 csx (Well almost all the hints) via the USB, and load cache mate to a laptop and use the PQ on that.

Hi thanks for your answers. We do send the waypoints to the garmin60 but don't get the hints. I gather gsak is software, where do I buy it please?

We were just hoping to buy him maps to plan routes and sort it all out beforehand, he has been known to get us all lost. From its reviews Topo sounds pretty bad. Thanks again.

We use GSAK to load caches to the Garmin 60CSX but don't get the Hints either - any advice on how to do it please?

In GSAK, go to

File

Export

GPX/LOC File

In the dialog boxes, put %hint into the Cache Description box... down on the bottom left hand side.

Then load the file to your GPS using POI loader as normal.

The caches will appear as Custom Waypoints in the GPS.