Garmin Oregon: Undelete Waypoints

binzi

I'm running the latest software 2.6 on my Oregon and in general I know my way around handling waypoints.

However, I'm frequently running into the following problems when deleting waypoints using the Oregon built-in delete function:

- First I copy a gpx file containing say 100 waypoints to the Oregon

- Then I need to delete say about 30 specific waypoints on the Oregon. However, since it takes too much time to do so on the Oregon, I simply delete all waypoints using the Oregon built-in delete function

- Then I replace the gpx file on the Oregon by a fresh one containing only those 70 waypoints I still want to be on the Oregon

- When I then reboot the Oregon it somehow remembers that I deleted those waypoints and will simply ignore them.

- I usually end up renaming the gpx file, rebooting the Oregon several times and at some point it will show the waypoints again...

So I guess my question comes down to how you guys handle deleting a large number of waypoints on the Oregon while keeping a large number of waypoints at the same time. I really think it sucks that the Oregon has some kind of internal memory which it uses to store its waypoints and only uses the gpx files put into its gpx folder to read the waypoints into its internal waypoint memory.

Confused? So am I :P

Maybe this is another way to describe the problem:

When loading some waypoints to the Oregon using a gpx file that I put into the Oregons gpx folder and then deleting those waypoints using the Oregons built-in function, then the Oregon remembers that I deleted those waypoints and will ignore the gpx file in its gpx folder during the next reboots. That is, even though there is a gpx file in its gpx folder it will ignore the waypoints in it. When I want to undelete these waypoints I don't really know what to do. I usually rename or delete or replace the gpx file, reboot the Oregon a couple of times and eventually the waypoints will reappear in the Oregon's internal memory...

Still confused? So am I :laughing:

Any comments appreciated.

Yet another maybe simpler way to describe the problem:

- Say I have several gpx files containing waypoints on the Oregon

- I also created say 50 waypoints using the mark waypoint function

- Now I want to delete those 50 waypoints on the Oregon

- Since I don't want to manually delete all 50 waypoints I use the Oregon's reset function to delete all waypoints

- If I now reboot the Oregon it will ignore all the waypoints in my gpx files no matter how often I reboot the system. There's no way of undeleting those waypoints in the gpx files or to force the Oregon to reload them. At least not without connecting the Oregon to a PC

- when I connect the Oregon to a PC delete the gpx files, reboot the Oregon a couple of times, copy the gpx files back to the Oregon and reboot the Oregon it will at some point actually reload the waypoints from the gpx files into its memory

The same problem arises if I want to delete all waypoints from one of the gpx files. Deleting this specific gpx file on the Oregon doesn't change anything on the Oregon since the Oregon keeps the waypoints in its internal memory. Deleting all waypoints on the Oregon puts me back to the problem that it won't reload the waypoints from the gpx files that I still want....

Edited by binzi

The only way to get the Oregon (or Colorado) to reread waypoints from your GPX files is to connect to your computer and either rename or reload the gpx file and restart the Oregon.

Whenever I'm in this situation I to the following:

- Connect to a computer

- Delete all gpx files

- Restart

- Delete all waypoints (Setup>Reset>Delete Waypoints)

- Connect to a computer

- Reload any gpx files I need (I manage several gpx files which contain my commonly used waypoints)

- Restart

GO$Rs

Backup your data like current waypoints routes and tracks, they are in the current.gpx file.

The colorado and oregon remembers the LAST waypoints filename, even after deleting the waypoints and current.gpx file.

So if you restart the gps with the same waypointname.gpx most of the time it will NOT load the waypoints.

Backup your data like current waypoints routes and tracks, they are in the current.gpx file.

The colorado and oregon remembers the LAST waypoints filename, even after deleting the waypoints and current.gpx file.

So if you restart the gps with the same waypointname.gpx most of the time it will NOT load the waypoints.

I'll make a stronger statement, if you delete your waypoints and never do anything to waypointname.gpx it will never reload the waypoints in that files.

From what I can tell the OR/CO boot process works something like this:

- Generate a list of gpx files w/timestamps found in \Garmin\GPX

- Compare the list of filenames/timestamps against the previously known list of filenames/timestamps

- For each new filename, load all tracks, routes, waypoints and geocaches into internal databases

- For each deleted filename, remove all geocaches associated with the filename (I'm not 100% sure about tracks and routes)

- For each modified file (same filename w/new timestamp) essentially go through a delete and add new as described above.

There is also some logic to make sure that geocaches which come from newer gpx files have priority over the same cache loaded from an older gpx file. Not sure if waypoints work the same way or not.

GO$Rs

Thanks for your comments.

I hoped it was me but it turned out that it is actually unecessarily complicated to manage waypoints on the Oregon...

Now my best practice is the following:

- delete all waypoints on the Oregon

- connect the Oregon to a PC

- delete those gpx files I no longer need

- rename those gpx files I want to keep

Still not quite satisfied with this but at least I know how it works now...

In the colorado/oregon

Save the current track, this can be a combination of track not saved, give this track his own name.

Gps connected to computer

Start Mapsource

Transfer / receive from / waypoints

To save the waypoints

Files / save as / mywaypointsfile.gpx

Close Mapsource

Copy the tracks / routes / you made and didn't save before.

Saving data like tracks and waypoints via Mapsource will truncate data like date and heights from the files.

Delete mywaypointfile.gpx in the gps

Disconnect the gps from the computer

On the oregon (colorado is about the same)

Setup / reset /delete all waypoints

Gps off/on

Check if you have waypoints on your gps, they should be gone by now :P

Reconnect to computer reload you new data to the Gps or Sd

On this point you can delete the current.gpx and if it's there the temp.gpx files.

THE MYWAYPOINTFILE.GPX MUST HAVE ANOTHER NAME THEN BEFORE, else the data in not used by the oregon/colorado

Track and Routes can have any.gpx names even the names they had before.

Edited by splashy