Garmin Oregon 300 crashes when connect to computer

Super-T

When I try to connect my Garmin to the computer, it goes through it's normal startup, but then the picture of the computer appears, but only on the bottom half of the screen, and the top is all blank, then it slowly fades to the unit turning off.

It has good batteries.

It has been tried in every form of connection setting, "Garmin Serial", "Garmin Spanner", etc etc

The computer has been rebooted.

We have tried different USB ports.

We are using the correct Garmin Cable.

The only thing untried so far is to "reset to factory defaults" but I do not want to lose the tracklog on the unit, so need to try everything else first.

Has anyone had any such issues, or found a solution ?

Thanks

What software version do you have on your Oregon? The most current version is 2.6. Previous versions showed similar crash behavior when trying to boot the device. However, so far I haven't heard of the problem that the Oregon would start normally but crash when connected to a PC. Usually it would crash in both cases.

There a two things that come to mind:

- Make sure you are on the most current software

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

- try to downgrade and upgrade again:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Miscellaneous#toc3

Thanks peoples,

After being assured that I'd not lose the tracklog, I chose the "Reset to defaults" which solved the connection problem, and once connected I upgraded from 2.5 to 2.6 and was quite relieved to find all maps still installed, the current tracklog intact, and basically very few things to have to reset back to normal.

Hopefully with 2.6 the problem won't recur, and I get the benefits of the upgrade as well.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.